ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

What methanol nozzle size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Flit
the previous screenshot showed iat1 @ 7000 rpm

this chart shows outside temperature. You should know this very well, smarty pants.

If I were to guess, iat1 in the second photo is around 95*

still my 2.7 off meth @ 16 psi vs your 17 psi on meth has a lower iat2 in 6* warmer outside conditions.

Just proving a point, your not spraying enough water/meth to provide a nice and cool iat2.

Whats your Iat1 say in pic 1 in the charts?

Whats Iat1 say pic 2 in the gauges?

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
yeah, well my dick is STILL bigger than both of yours.
This is a lie sir.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaunmcdee
Whats your Iat1 say in pic 1 in the charts?

Whats Iat1 say pic 2 in the gauges?
Says 7x* @ 7000 rpm in pic 1 on the gauges. I dont have my laptop with me, but I believe outside temp was 41* in the charts

pic 2

Again I need to grab my laptop, but from what I recall the iat1 on the gauge @ 7000 was roughly 95*.

---

Jr's 4 gallon flow thru does the lsj good...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 AM

Says 7x* @ 7000 rpm in pic 1 on the gauges. I dont have my laptop with me, but I believe outside temp was 41* in the charts

pic 2

Again I need to grab my laptop, but from what I recall the iat1 on the gauge @ 7000 was roughly 95*.

---

Jr's 4 gallon flow thru does the lsj good...
I see. Maybe thats where there is a miss somewhere. This is what my readout says:
Dont mind the extra chunk of log in there, dunno wtf happened there.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned

weird your iat1 in your chart follows along w/ your gauge readings.

my iat1 in the charts just show outside temp

and the gauge shows the iat1 temp. climb as the rpms go up.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM

weird your iat1 in your chart follows along w/ your gauge readings.

my iat1 in the charts just show outside temp

and the gauge shows the iat1 temp. climb as the rpms go up.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

congratulations

my temps are still lower than yours w/o meth on.

You've proved nothing more than I just havnt fully setup my iat1 configuration for the chart. I'll be fixing that shortly now, thank you. In your own way, you've managed to help me.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 AM

congratulations

my temps are still lower than yours w/o meth on.

You've proved nothing more than I just havnt fully setup my iat1 configuration for the chart. I'll be fixing that shortly now, thank you. In your own way, you've managed to help me.

I didnt know this was a pissing match between you and I. I was just merely comparing numbers. If you have a hard on for me, just say it man, its cool. All your ill-will feelings towards me is petty bs dude. Let it go. I let the reigns go long ago. Have fun with them, Im going to pick on the turbo bastards now.
In your own way, you managed to help yourself....you paid attn. Good job.
BTW - Add a decimal to your AEM histogram.......just saying
Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 AM

yeah, pissing match fail guys...
Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Banned

I didnt know this was a pissing match between you and I. I was just merely comparing numbers. If you have a hard on for me, just say it man, its cool. All your ill-will feelings towards me is petty bs dude. Let it go. I let the reigns go long ago. Have fun with them, Im going to pick on the turbo bastards now.
In your own way, you managed to help yourself....you paid attn. Good job.
BTW - Add a decimal to your AEM histogram.......just saying
Nah I thought you were ******* with me.
If your letting our little feud go, I'll let it go too. Rather be rivals than enemys.

When I do a custom pid for widebands in this beta version, it doesn't let you add a decimal. I emailed hpt about it, and they sent me some newer version, but it was so buggy. I couldn't get any of my config to work. Kept crashing, and giving me framework error crap.

Good luck with the turbo setup, I'm looking forward to seeing good results. I'll keep playing with the m62, and maximizing upon the water to air cooling setup. I think I've hit a wall for now, but Jr and I will keep working on making it better.

Btw... Nuggetz and I have a 40 roll to take care of, he knows I'm on a 2.6 now
- Can you say VIDEO!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 AM

Nah I thought you were ******* with me.
If your letting our little feud go, I'll let it go too. Rather be rivals than enemys.

When I do a custom pid for widebands in this beta version, it doesn't let you add a decimal. I emailed hpt about it, and they sent me some newer version, but it was so buggy. I couldn't get any of my config to work. Kept crashing, and giving me framework error crap.

Good luck with the turbo setup, I'm looking forward to seeing good results. I'll keep playing with the m62, and maximizing upon the water to air cooling setup. I think I've hit a wall for now, but Jr and I will keep working on making it better.

Btw... Nuggetz and I have a 40 roll to take care of, he knows I'm on a 2.6 now
- Can you say VIDEO!!!
Thats strange, i was able to fix rootbeers config file he was using without the decimal.
And on my pc as well.

As for the turbo, just shooting for 300 on 15 psi. Im sure ill easily hit that though. Build starts jan 15th.

Kick nuggz ass. Post vid. bbq
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Banned

Thats strange, i was able to fix rootbeers config file he was using without the decimal.
And on my pc as well.

As for the turbo, just shooting for 300 on 15 psi. Im sure ill easily hit that though. Build starts jan 15th.

Kick nuggz ass. Post vid. bbq
He may have a beta version post mine or it just doesnt like custom pid for AEM widebands. I'm not worried bout the decimals though, the charts show the decimal.

I'm sure 300 will be a walk in the park

Will do, he's gonna get all "20 degrees of timing!" out of me
Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 AM

He may have a beta version post mine or it just doesnt like custom pid for AEM widebands. I'm not worried bout the decimals though, the charts show the decimal.

I'm sure 300 will be a walk in the park

Will do, he's gonna get all "20 degrees of timing!" out of me

Check your pm
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM

why do the ppl on this site act like high schoolers? AIS has their proof but yet ppl continue to be children....
Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Thats just how it is man, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If it works, people usually stick to their guns, regardless of new and improved results.

----

Harry

If you do your own tuning

Give a few different nozzles a try. And find out for yourself.

The TVS is considerably more efficient than a m62, but your still going to be making 20 plus psi. Run a pre blower and post blower nozzle, gauranteed best cooling results will be from that sort of setup, regardless of nozzle size.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor

I can always just take a car and convert it over from gas to methanol and make more power that way.

All i want to encourage to people is safe tunning practices. This means usually pilling it till your intake air temps are at ambient and then call it good. Not run the largest nozzle we make and pull large amounts of fuel to make the car run right. Fact is these meth injection kits are not robust like fuel system in a car, this is the reason eveyone sells all the flow detection gizmos. Which are a false since of hope.

I see going to large nozzle sizes is like taking a 2.6 pully and putting it on a stock car. You can do it, but that does not make it right. What we want to do with these meth inject kits is act like a chemical intercooler and remove heat from the air. These are not a "5th injector"
Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devilsown
Every car is going to react differently to meth injection. This is where trial and error comes into the equation. I am a firm believer of trying to run the smallest nozzle possible to get the most gain out of it.

First would be your pw of your injectors. 2nd would be your mv of your o2 sensor. From my experience you want to try to get it between .820-.840 before you go into open loop.

If your down in okc are stop by and i can make sure to have my laptop and let you play with hptunners. I would not be without it.

i'm the one who tuned/tunes his car. it's peachy for summer fun.

and rodney, your ignorance on the winter tune thing is a shame. it's simple. massive air temp changes and the lsj ecm do not get along. if the ambient temp is 50 degree's during the day and you're running 12.0 afr everything is fine. temp drops to 21 degree's later that night, or the week. your afr is NOT 12.0 you're well into the 13's on afr. ecm lack basic compensation for temp changes.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
ecm lack basic compensation for temp changes.
True Story.... I've been adding fuel all winter trying to stay ahead of the temperatures..
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

i'm the one who tuned/tunes his car. it's peachy for summer fun.

and rodney, your ignorance on the winter tune thing is a shame. it's simple. massive air temp changes and the lsj ecm do not get along. if the ambient temp is 50 degree's during the day and you're running 12.0 afr everything is fine. temp drops to 21 degree's later that night, or the week. your afr is NOT 12.0 you're well into the 13's on afr. ecm lack basic compensation for temp changes.
Here we are again with the name calling as usual. Not once will you find me calling any ignorant or calling anyone names. Really unnecessary but expected.

Stay on topic. I asked why he was only running 11.5 degree's of timing and someone said its because its a winter tune. I wanted to know what he meant by that because there's no reason to only run 11.5 degree's of timing. Even on California 91 octane in the winter not to mention he has a meth kit. I actually assumed he was going to begin talking about the poor winter grade fuels. Ended up finding out from the guy who owned the car and did the tuning that he was still working on dialing in his MAF and had timing backed down while he did.

I never mentioned anything about AF so don't go there. By doing so it looks like your looking to start a fight and reaching for anything.

Rodney
Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Rent me! per hour

you started this genius.

btw, how much more air flow does the k series head in the rsx flow than the lsj head?

hmmmmmm?

have you actually spent time on the dyno with an lsj?
do you currently own the highest whp stock motored supercharged lsj?

no?

keep telling me i am wrong.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

you started this genius.

btw, how much more air flow does the k series head in the rsx flow than the lsj head?

hmmmmmm?

no?

keep telling me i am wrong

You are wrong, and proof of what Rodney is saying is only a page or so back. With real world testing, done on the street, not on the rollers.

113* IAT2 on 19 psi @ 7000 rpm, 12+ afr, 25* or more timing, no bog, is completely tunable, and very canyon drivable. Need more proof, make the drive or flight out here and I'll show you first hand.

It's time to quit being so ignorant to new and improved methods brought to the CSS community.

Other than that, keep doing what your doing. You are one of few entrepreneurs for the CSS community.

/END THREAD
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor

Just curious how do you have your system hooked up off your maff, map or you have a boost line ran to your controller?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by devilsown
Just curious how do you have your system hooked up off your maff, map or you have a boost line ran to your controller?
Boost line

kicks in 6 psi and WOT in 3rd is tuned for 2800 rpm to redline.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ais
If you use a boost reference progressive controller on a Eaton or for that matter any roots or twin screw supercharger. Your not going to get much of any progressive feature out of your water methanol injection system at all.

These superchargers go right into full boost when you nail it. The same thing is going to happen with your progressive controller. It going to zip right past the start point you set and hit your max setting sending the system into full flow. The company who sold you that water methanol injection system should have explained this to you and just put you into a Stage 1 system and saved you some money.

If you want a progressive feature, which by the way you probably really don't need, they should have set you up with a 0-5 volt controller and based the injection off of your mass air signal. Not a boost signal. Then you would get a true progressive feature out of your system.

Plus, the reality is you don't need any injection at 3 psi. You can run these engines just fine to 5-6 psi on pump gas with no water methanol injection. If you set it to start spraying at 3 psi your just going to end up using a lot of fluid with normal around the town driving.

If it were me i would use a simple and less expensive Stage 1 system with the switch set at no earlier then 5 psi (if your running 8 psi) that way you offset normal around the town driving.

Rodney
from another forum, as you can see Rodney says your running the wrong item.... I think your fine though, but i guess he knows something more than i do because the maff on though cars along with these cars are 12v square wave. Just trying to fowarn you of watch where you get your advice from.

Ofcourse your going to make more power with the more meth you run. If you run gas threw your fuel system you will even make more power. The issue is when we go back to using a meth kit. The more you inject and the more fuel you remove to make it work right the less reliable the car will be. These are not a 2ndary fuel system. These are to be used as a chemical intercooler.
I just ment with this post for people to use common sense when tunning a car. This is not ment to start a flame on bad advise.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

you started this genius.

hmmmmmm?

no?

keep telling me i am wrong.
Start by going back and quoting where I said you were wrong.

Next, the LSJ head can't touch the K20 head. Its basically done at .400" lift flowing just under 200 cfm and 208 cfm at .500". Same on the exhaust. Its done at .400" flowing 147 cfm on the exhaust side and 149 cfm at .500. The K Series head blows it away. I hear it flows close to 300 cfm on the intake at 500''.

Thats why when I heard the numbers you put down. I knew it wasn't done on a unported head as you you leaf most everyone on to believe. I do know a thing or two about cylinder heads and there's no way your making 340's to the tire with that head untouched. Not unless you spray the engine. I certainly don't know the LSJ engine like you do and I don't need to own a Cobalt to know that you can't make that kind of power on those heads unported.

Just as relevant as your question was on asking me about the LSJ and K series head. Why don't you tell me how much the factory small block Chevy camel back heads flowed vs the Vortech head. Which is better? That’s too easy because you can probably look it up on the net. How about you tell me what you know about the early 1960's factory big block Chevy cast iron rectangle port closed chamber heads vs the open chamber oval ports. Which would you use on a NA 468" engine turning 6000 rpm maximum. Or how about Ford’s GT40 vs. the GT40P. Which is better and why?

As for owning the current highest whp stock motored supercharged lsj. Nope, it probably won’t be added to my lifetime list of accomplishments or that I will be remembered by when I‘m gone. I was however a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps for 5 years. I never mention that to anyone because it's not relevant and I‘m not one to blow my own horn or ride my high horse. Did one tour to Afghan and one to Iraq. But I did turn wrenches on 50 million dollar aircraft, not just cars, in which the lives of not only myself but the crews and pilots depended on.

What do you know about those engines? What do you know about working on them and trouble shooting them when the pilots complain about not having enough power? What do you know about listening to the pilots comments on flight controls and trouble shooting them to correct the problem. What do you know about working on 3000-4000 psi hydraulic systems which drive the flight controls. My squadron has a legacy and history that dates back to Vietnam. Why don’t you search the internet and find out why HMH 462 is called the “screw crew”

I served my country and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Did you? I’m not looking for thanks. The Marine Corps thanked me twice a month while I was in. I’m just pointing out that its guys like me that served our country, so guys like you can have the luxury of calling guys like me “ignorant”.

Happy New Years,
Rodney

PS. As for as your down pipe. I can make that and weld it myself for under $100 I bet. You got ripped off if you spent $500.00

Last edited by AIS; 12-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Rent me! per hour

You are wrong, and proof of what Rodney is saying is only a page or so back. With real world testing, done on the street, not on the rollers.

113* IAT2 on 19 psi @ 7000 rpm, 12+ afr, 25* or more timing, no bog, is completely tunable, and very canyon drivable. Need more proof, make the drive or flight out here and I'll show you first hand.

It's time to quit being so ignorant to new and improved methods brought to the CSS community.

Other than that, keep doing what your doing. You are one of few entrepreneurs for the CSS community.

/END THREAD
when you make more than i do. you can tell me i am wrong.

Originally Posted by AIS
Start by going back and quoting where I said you were wrong.

Next, the LSJ head can't touch the K20 head. Its basically done at .400" lift flowing just under 200 cfm and 208 cfm at .500". Same on the exhaust. Its done at .400" flowing 147 cfm on the exhaust side and 149 cfm at .500. The K Series head blows it away. I hear it flows close to 300 cfm on the intake at 500''.

Thats why when I heard the numbers you put down. I knew it wasn't done on a unported head as you you leaf most everyone on to believe. I do know a thing or two about cylinder heads and there's no way your making 340's to the tire with that head untouched. Not unless you spray the engine. I certainly don't know the LSJ engine like you do and I don't need to own a Cobalt to know that you can't make that kind of power on those heads unported.

PS. As for as your down pipe. I can make that and weld it myself for under $100 I bet. You got ripped off if you spent $500.00
the head on my car is 100% STOCK ports. thanks for playing smart one. EVERYTHING i have done to my car is posted in the vb garage, along with modified magazine. would you like to see the ported head i have laying on the garage floor? or the forged pistons i have in the basement? what about the arp head studs next to the pistons?

come on down to kansas city and see the parts i have sitting for the car. then call me a liar.

you're right, i am not making 340 to the tire. it put down 360whp WITHOUT METH.

BTW, the downpipe was free.

i don't care to know about your past, we are dealing with the present.

Last edited by Area47; 12-30-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: What methanol nozzle size?