Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

clear bra... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clear bra... is it worth it?

so i've been reading a lot about the clear bras offered for our car. it seems there are a number of them available, but most of them look cheap. What do you guys think about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWD1V

How easy would it be to install? Would I have to have a dealer install it? How much would it cost?

What about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clear...spagenameZWD1V

(Note the difference in price)

I really need some good advice here...thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 PM

bump!!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 3M on the lower part of my 77 Chevy pickup, and across the front of the hood. It looks very nice, and protects the paint from the rocks being tossed by the 35" tires. I personally would not try to install myself. Kinda like window tint, you can do it, but it never looks as good, and if its screwed up at install they have to eat it.

I am not sure how it would look on the Cobalt though. The truck has easy separations at the body line, so its not noticable, the Cobalt is too rounded, it will stand out too much.

Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Biffno3
I have the 3M on the lower part of my 77 Chevy pickup, and across the front of the hood. It looks very nice, and protects the paint from the rocks being tossed by the 35" tires. I personally would not try to install myself. Kinda like window tint, you can do it, but it never looks as good, and if its screwed up at install they have to eat it.

I am not sure how it would look on the Cobalt though. The truck has easy separations at the body line, so its not noticable, the Cobalt is too rounded, it will stand out too much.

Hope this helps
How much did that run you?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM

I cheated the guy I bought the truck from did it, and he owns an autoshop.

I did get an estimate for my 2003 Silverado HD and they wanted $400 just for the front of the hood and fenders.

Too much $$$, and I ended up selling the Gas hog anyway.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Do yourself a favor and shop localy for it. Its not as easy to install as everyone thinks it is and once its on its on so your finish underneath the film has to be absolutely perfect. Any scratchs and chips will show through the film. Professionally its expensive to have done but can be worth it.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
360 L337 User

I would love some clear bras. they still lift and seperate while viewing is not blocked at all.

Anyway, I know a few people that swear by it, and i think iit works great, but it is too expensive
Old 04-24-2006, 11:26 AM

i had mine done and am going to get my gto done. the SS cost me 650 and the gto cost me 690. now the is the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and headlamps. i loved it and would do it again.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM

I had my cobalt done, and it is awesome. I waited too long, and had about 7 rock chips in the paint. This was before winter (got my cobalts last august). Before I had it done I touched up the chips (with dealer supplied touch up paint), and then had it done the same time I did my tint. All 5 windows, and the clear bra, was $300 CAD. I only had the hood done though, not the bumper, fenders, or mirrors.

Have since been through 1 winter (although not much of one for Alberta), and to date, no more rock chips. You can definitely tell that it is there, especially because it shows any dust more than the factory paint, but IMO worth it, because as i mentioned, no more rock chips, and when it is is clean, you cannot tell it is there from 10 feet away.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 PM

Just got my GTO done today and i am soooo happy with it, it looks great. I also had my door handles done to protect from scratching. He also did my hood scoops. 150% happy
Old 04-26-2006, 10:31 PM

As you already know, I have it on my Cobalt. It is great, works well.

I would not try installing it yourself. They guy that did my SS has been doing this for years, and is one of the largest volume dealers in Alberta. It took him about 3.5 hrs to install the whole kit (hood, bumper, mirrors, door handles, and headlights). You need to stretch it, and it is hard to do anywhere that the vehicle is contoured. It is truly an art. If you drive an old Volvo you can do it yourself maybe. Those things are completely flat and square. kaptainm is right, it seems to collect dust more than the body of the car does, making it stand out. If it snows or rains, the water also runs along the seam, making it visible in these conditions.

On my old car, I used a bra, but got tired of having to clan it every time I was the car, so stopped using it. My car was beat to hell with stone chips a year later. The clear bra is the best way to go to avoid rock chip problems.

You can do the whole package I got for about $550 installed (Canadian). It is gauranteed not to discolour or peel for 5 years. I think it is well worth it. It offers as good, if not better protection than a normal car bra, and pretty much looks like a vehicle with nothing on it. Yes, you can tell it is there sometimes, but I don't feel that it detracts from the car's original appearance at all. It sure looks better than a hood and bumper full of stone chips!

My only complaint with mine is that it has a few wrinkles on the door handles (hard to smooth out) and the main bumper gaurd has a little wrinkle on one end. They are not very noticeable, but I will get it replaced if it ever peels.

It is very hard to tell that it is there. Once you know where the line is, it is easy to spot. Straight on, unless you are within 5 feet of the car, you'd never know that there was anything on it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:50 PM

Here are some pictures of the car. I only have one that clearly shows the bra. None of these have been edited or retouched tom make it dissapear. It seriously is invisible. Most people will only know it is there if you tell them. Next time I wash my car I will try get more pics of it.

There is a line about 20" up the hood that goes across the car just in front of the front wheels. It is a little more visible in person, but you have to be within 4-5 feet to see it. It really looks like nothing is there. It really hides itself quite well. The first pic was taken not 3 hours ago after a wash. By the time that photo was taken, the car had collected lots of dust.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:46 PM

what brand is it and where did u get it installed?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM

That is a nice deal
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM

I just purchased mine two days ago and negotiated the price on the clear bra as well. The finance manager finally told me their cost to the company (outsourced) is $175. They installed mine for $200. My gf has it on her Black Tundra and it is well worth it! Just some info for you all that are trying to negotiate a fair price.