Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

did my dash trim, still not done but check it out

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did my dash trim, still not done but check it out

Alright well i decided since i spent the past few weeks slowly doing my dash trim I would just post up some pics of how it came out. Its been taking so long since im retarted and only ordering 1 can of GM touch up spray paint at a time, and i just paint pieces untill i run out. install, order more paint, then paint some more. lol.

Anyways all thats left is the steering wheel bezel's and i have to muster up the ***** to screw with that. I tried but couldnt find that pin they were talking about in the How-To and kept feeling a soft cushin and i didnt wanna poke that airbag too much with a screwdriver so i bailed out on that one for the time being. Gotta order another can of paint anyways.

Tools:
- Wet Sandpaper (I uhad 2 different grits, one more than the other, just dont know exactly what the numbers are)
- Duplicolor adhesion promoter
- GM Touch Up Spray Paint (color matched in a can 5 inches for only $15... rip off)
- Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer
- VHT Nightshades for tails

Pics:

did my LED remote yellow too cause i had a tiny bit of paint left in the can put some black specles in it cause what the hell right.

The door trim pieces were the hardest part. I suck at taping things off and I was under the impression that black cup piece was removable. Apparently not, so i had to tape it off and it took me forever and i didnt do a good job. When i peeled it off it had some spots where the tape overlaped casue it came untucked and showed some silver and it just looked a little sloppy so i put some face lotion "all i could find" inside the cup and sprayed it and then just took gasoline on a cotton swap and the next day just tried removing the paint from the cup part. Still in the middle of doing that but whatever. lol. Just wanna get those steering wheel controls and and it should be alright.

Thanks for looking

Oh and what the hell I redid my tail lights and reverse lights too because i never clearcoated them and the nightshades started flaking off after many washes in spots. I never did a good job on them anyways cause im inexperiences at spray painting and it got runny so i sanded it but was too lasy to sand the whole thing. So there was a difference in thickness throughout the light, so when they lit up, some spots were brighter then others. Well i stood over the sink wetsanding each one for about 30 minutes untill i finally got all the damn nightshades off and redid them with clear and they came out real nice now. The more I paint things the better I get, practice makes perfect.

Oh and I know LED's and my floormats are rice but this thread aint about that so keep flaming to a minimum if you can help yourself. lol. thanks

Also did my Fusebox cover with Duplicolor Engine paint while i was on a painting spree but dont have pics of that yet since weather has been shitty.

Oh and anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do to dress up the interior? I owe Ex-girlfriend and credit card a good chunk of money so thats why im sticking with painting **** now and not going out and getting Hahn CAI's and short throw shifters and Eibach sportlines (ugh that combo sounds like sex). But if anybody has any other suggestions on things to paint or ways i can dress it up inexpensive let me know lol.

Last edited by Gestapo007; 03-01-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned

looks nice.

How come the tail lights look purple?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 AM

^cell phones responsible for that one.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

where u get your night shades at
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by dman090
where u get your night shades at
www.modernperformance.com

They actually sent me 2 cans which was nice since i used a whole can the 1st time since i had to redo it alot, then i had a whole nother can when i decided to do it right
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 AM

looks good man! Havent done mine yet, but i will as soon as the factory paint begins to flake...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Firebirdhorn
looks good man! Havent done mine yet, but i will as soon as the factory paint begins to flake...
thanks man
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

so it woudnt take more than one can for the side markers and the 3rd brake light would it?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 AM

^nah it wouldnt. 1 can would be fine but if you order from Modernperformance they ship 2 anyways
Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 AM

that looks really nice good job and the floormats are cool they don't wear like the stock ones
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
^cell phones responsible for that one.
FAF

X2 on MP's nightshades. Great vendor. I got the cans from there also.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltss86
that looks really nice good job and the floormats are cool they don't wear like the stock ones
Thanks bro, i bought them specifically to reflect the floor lights. They never get dirty though becasue all the sand rolls off of them and rolls under the mat so thats pretty cool lol
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned

Thanks bro, i bought them specifically to reflect the floor lights. They never get dirty though becasue all the sand rolls off of them and rolls under the mat so thats pretty cool lol
I never liked those mats. I got the gm rubber honey comb floor mats.

But I like the led idea. Those are white?

How did you wire them? Im thinking about doing this, but not so bright.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by wardzach2007
I never liked those mats. I got the gm rubber honey comb floor mats.

But I like the led idea. Those are white?

How did you wire them? Im thinking about doing this, but not so bright.
I hear ya on the brightness lol. I dont drive with them alot but there the 7 color LED's from LEDglow. I have the under car and interior. The whole kit came to like $140 for 4 under car and 4 interior that all hook up to a remote box in the trunk that uses a wireless remote to activate. Its easy cause theres no drilling holes for switches or nothing. All lights are wire tied on, undercar needed holes drilled but thats the same with everything.

It comes with microphone you can lay in your trunk so when the bass hits the lights can flash with the music. umm otherwise i usually turn off the undercar LED's and roll around with red floor lighting. And when i do roll around with lights i throw yellow on. cops love to follow me for miles like that though lol. I find it funny though. They get right next to me and if there on the other side of the road they pull U-turns. i start cracking up and just make sure i dont speed lol. but there fun.

Last edited by Gestapo007; 03-02-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 AM

Y didn't u do ur tails cherry red that's the new thing smoked out lights are not in anymore
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 AM

Not a fan of the color but it looks like clean work...as for the neons, to each their own
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never been a fan of neon/led's and rattle canned interiors. not a fan of aluminum floor mats either.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by DC52NV
never been a fan of neon/led's and rattle canned interiors. not a fan of aluminum floor mats either.
x3.5
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
x3.5
Talk about killing a kid's excitement.

Looks great Kevin, I'm gonna try to do mine this weekend...I may even do the headliner like I talked about.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM

hey man i like what you did to it, get a new faceplate for your climate control, call a few salvage yards and get a black one, itd look a lot better!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G5GT

Looks great Kevin, I'm gonna try to do mine this weekend...I may even do the headliner like I talked about.
Sorry, but the HVAC and Radio are still Silver... so, in my eyes... it looks bad.

I've never liked color matched interiors with these cars. I myself want to get away from the Silver that doesn't match the rest of my car... but I haven't liked anything Ive seen... so, it'll stay stock for now.

Originally Posted by whiteout06
hey man i like what you did to it, get a new faceplate for your climate control, call a few salvage yards and get a black one, itd look a lot better!!!!

[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn147/jnossal712/015.jpg[IMG]
Not too bad... but like you said yourself... the silver HVAC needs to go.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 03-02-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
Well to each their own. I guess ur only a fan of front mounted intercoolers and ****. Buts its cool. lol.

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Not a fan of the color but it looks like clean work...as for the neons, to each their own
Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by 2008G5GT

lol thanks man, but iv learned to get my flamesuit on whenever i make threads so its all good. Not everyone is gonna like what you do, and im not gonna like what they do. Some just choose to make their negative opinions public and you just gotta get used to that.

Originally Posted by whiteout06

Thanks man, and yea i wanted to do that from the start. I didnt wanna leave the radio and climate control silver, i wanted to take them off and paint them yellow but as i was painting i looked and noticed that the faceplates wernt as easily removable as i hoped lol. Black would definitly look better and ill look into getting black ones but for the mean time it doesnt bother me that much. Good work on yours though bro

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Sorry, but the HVAC and Radio are still Silver... so, in my eyes... it looks bad.

I've never liked color matched interiors with these cars. I myself want to get away from the Silver that doesn't match the rest of my car... but I haven't liked anything Ive seen... so, it'll stay stock for now.

Not too bad... but like you said yourself... the silver HVAC needs to go.
^Like i said, i agree, and it was the plan from the start. give me time lol. if you notice the original thread says "still not done"! lol

Changing those pieces will probobly take me some time though cause taking them apart will be a royal pain in the ass. wish there was a how-to
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Yes change the hvac to black. That what i'm gonna do. But I think you shouldn't paint anything else inside. Looks good the way you have it. Nice idea tho with painting the remote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Alright well i decided since i spent the past few weeks slowly doing my dash trim I would just post up some pics of how it came out. Its been taking so long since im retarted and only ordering 1 can of GM touch up spray paint at a time, and i just paint pieces untill i run out. install, order more paint, then paint some more. lol.

Anyways all thats left is the steering wheel bezel's and i have to muster up the ***** to screw with that. I tried but couldnt find that pin they were talking about in the How-To and kept feeling a soft cushin and i didnt wanna poke that airbag too much with a screwdriver so i bailed out on that one for the time being. Gotta order another can of paint anyways.

Tools:
- Wet Sandpaper (I uhad 2 different grits, one more than the other, just dont know exactly what the numbers are)
- Duplicolor adhesion promoter
- GM Touch Up Spray Paint (color matched in a can 5 inches for only $15... rip off)
- Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer
- VHT Nightshades for tails

Pics:

did my LED remote yellow too cause i had a tiny bit of paint left in the can put some black specles in it cause what the hell right.

The door trim pieces were the hardest part. I suck at taping things off and I was under the impression that black cup piece was removable. Apparently not, so i had to tape it off and it took me forever and i didnt do a good job. When i peeled it off it had some spots where the tape overlaped casue it came untucked and showed some silver and it just looked a little sloppy so i put some face lotion "all i could find" inside the cup and sprayed it and then just took gasoline on a cotton swap and the next day just tried removing the paint from the cup part. Still in the middle of doing that but whatever. lol. Just wanna get those steering wheel controls and and it should be alright.

Thanks for looking

Oh and what the hell I redid my tail lights and reverse lights too because i never clearcoated them and the nightshades started flaking off after many washes in spots. I never did a good job on them anyways cause im inexperiences at spray painting and it got runny so i sanded it but was too lasy to sand the whole thing. So there was a difference in thickness throughout the light, so when they lit up, some spots were brighter then others. Well i stood over the sink wetsanding each one for about 30 minutes untill i finally got all the damn nightshades off and redid them with clear and they came out real nice now. The more I paint things the better I get, practice makes perfect.

Oh and I know LED's and my floormats are rice but this thread aint about that so keep flaming to a minimum if you can help yourself. lol. thanks

Also did my Fusebox cover with Duplicolor Engine paint while i was on a painting spree but dont have pics of that yet since weather has been shitty.

Oh and anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do to dress up the interior? I owe Ex-girlfriend and credit card a good chunk of money so thats why im sticking with painting **** now and not going out and getting Hahn CAI's and short throw shifters and Eibach sportlines (ugh that combo sounds like sex). But if anybody has any other suggestions on things to paint or ways i can dress it up inexpensive let me know lol.
Now all you need to do is the silver on the steering wheel

Quick Reply: did my dash trim, still not done but check it out