Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

did my dash trim, still not done but check it out

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
Alright well i decided since i spent the past few weeks slowly doing my dash trim I would just post up some pics of how it came out. Its been taking so long since im retarted and only ordering 1 can of GM touch up spray paint at a time, and i just paint pieces untill i run out. install, order more paint, then paint some more. lol.

Anyways all thats left is the steering wheel bezel's and i have to muster up the ***** to screw with that. I tried but couldnt find that pin they were talking about in the How-To and kept feeling a soft cushin and i didnt wanna poke that airbag too much with a screwdriver so i bailed out on that one for the time being. Gotta order another can of paint anyways.

Tools:
- Wet Sandpaper (I uhad 2 different grits, one more than the other, just dont know exactly what the numbers are)
- Duplicolor adhesion promoter
- GM Touch Up Spray Paint (color matched in a can 5 inches for only $15... rip off)
- Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer
- VHT Nightshades for tails

Pics:

did my LED remote yellow too cause i had a tiny bit of paint left in the can put some black specles in it cause what the hell right.

The door trim pieces were the hardest part. I suck at taping things off and I was under the impression that black cup piece was removable. Apparently not, so i had to tape it off and it took me forever and i didnt do a good job. When i peeled it off it had some spots where the tape overlaped casue it came untucked and showed some silver and it just looked a little sloppy so i put some face lotion "all i could find" inside the cup and sprayed it and then just took gasoline on a cotton swap and the next day just tried removing the paint from the cup part. Still in the middle of doing that but whatever. lol. Just wanna get those steering wheel controls and and it should be alright.

Thanks for looking

Oh and what the hell I redid my tail lights and reverse lights too because i never clearcoated them and the nightshades started flaking off after many washes in spots. I never did a good job on them anyways cause im inexperiences at spray painting and it got runny so i sanded it but was too lasy to sand the whole thing. So there was a difference in thickness throughout the light, so when they lit up, some spots were brighter then others. Well i stood over the sink wetsanding each one for about 30 minutes untill i finally got all the damn nightshades off and redid them with clear and they came out real nice now. The more I paint things the better I get, practice makes perfect.

Oh and I know LED's and my floormats are rice but this thread aint about that so keep flaming to a minimum if you can help yourself. lol. thanks

Also did my Fusebox cover with Duplicolor Engine paint while i was on a painting spree but dont have pics of that yet since weather has been shitty.

Oh and anybody have any suggestions on what else I can do to dress up the interior? I owe Ex-girlfriend and credit card a good chunk of money so thats why im sticking with painting **** now and not going out and getting Hahn CAI's and short throw shifters and Eibach sportlines (ugh that combo sounds like sex). But if anybody has any other suggestions on things to paint or ways i can dress it up inexpensive let me know lol.

i did the same thing and yes it all was a pain in the ass! but hey it looks good ....also you should consider doing the trim on your steering wheel....
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

you should think about hardwiring your radar detector too. I did mine but I have it at the top behind the rearview mirror. Ran the wires into the headliner and down the passenger a pillar and to the fuse box. They say it gets a better, wider signal atop. No wires going across the dash or going down in front of my radio. Ftw!!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by yelloss
i did the same thing and yes it all was a pain in the ass! but hey it looks good ....also you should consider doing the trim on your steering wheel....
I plan on doing steering wheel I just have to order more paint lol. But thanks

Originally Posted by hailcesar75
you should think about hardwiring your radar detector too. I did mine but I have it at the top behind the rearview mirror. Ran the wires into the headliner and down the passenger a pillar and to the fuse box. They say it gets a better, wider signal atop. No wires going across the dash or going down in front of my radio. Ftw!!
Yea I heard that uptop it gets a better signal, but for some reason I really like it low like a gauge or something lol. I was thinking about hardwiring it in but just never got around to it. Too much ripping **** off for right now. If i wanted to keep it where it is that is.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Sorry, but the HVAC and Radio are still Silver... so, in my eyes... it looks bad.

I've never liked color matched interiors with these cars. I myself want to get away from the Silver that doesn't match the rest of my car... but I haven't liked anything Ive seen... so, it'll stay stock for now.

Not too bad... but like you said yourself... the silver HVAC needs to go.

i did get a new HVAC and replaced it with a black face....i havent put up a new picture yet, sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
Well to each their own. I guess ur only a fan of front mounted intercoolers and ****. Buts its cool. lol.

Thanks bro.

lol thanks man, but iv learned to get my flamesuit on whenever i make threads so its all good. Not everyone is gonna like what you do, and im not gonna like what they do. Some just choose to make their negative opinions public and you just gotta get used to that.

Thanks man, and yea i wanted to do that from the start. I didnt wanna leave the radio and climate control silver, i wanted to take them off and paint them yellow but as i was painting i looked and noticed that the faceplates wernt as easily removable as i hoped lol. Black would definitly look better and ill look into getting black ones but for the mean time it doesnt bother me that much. Good work on yours though bro

^Like i said, i agree, and it was the plan from the start. give me time lol. if you notice the original thread says "still not done"! lol

Changing those pieces will probobly take me some time though cause taking them apart will be a royal pain in the ass. wish there was a how-to

replacing the faceplate is a piece of pie...its got security clips on it, you can pop it off and put a new faceplate on in 3 minutes.

Last edited by whiteout06; 03-07-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM

^good to know man. thanks

I wonder if I paint it black if it will stand out even MORE then the silver.