Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Headlight Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Headlight Confusion

Ok Im way confused now.
I was looking into geting projector headlights.
After reading about them Ive grown more and more
confused....

1: What is HID?
2: What is HALO?

I read the HIDs for Newbs and it didnt seem to awsner those questions.
it talks about doing Retrofits, and it says that HIDs are Illegal.

1: I do not want to cause someone to crash
2: I do not want to break the law

Ive heard that some of the Projector lights are crap,
But there are so many places/kinds to buy. People have said to get retros, because they are better. It seems that retros are takeing apart the stock lights and modifying the innards of them. I really dont want to do that. Id rather pull out the headligtht assembly and put in a diffrent one.

I hear there are diffrent generation ones..
So what are Gen1, vs Gen2, Vs Gen3, Vs Gen4 ect??

What im looking for is something that looks kinda cool, but more importantly, lights up the road better then stock so I can see better at night when I drive. My current stock headlights are somewhat crazing over.

One of the supporting vendors sells projector lights that look cool, but I cant find where it says if they are retors, or Gen1, 2 ect....

So whats the deal?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the whole putting HIDs in headlights and making them illegal is when u stick them in the OEM housing. they dont have a proper cutoff shield so it ends up scattering light EVERYWHERE. im sure uve seen an oncoming car where ur like... holy fuckkkk light scatter and its realllly bright but it doesnt seem to light much of the road up

u dont have to worry about that with the projectors with the aftermarket ones cus they come with a cutoff shield and helps to stop scattering light. theres a trick with the gen 3s which make the cutoff shield even better and if you order from 3bspec they will mod it for you. it just requires u screwing a screw or something into somewhere.

HID is a type of bulb that requires a ballast to be powered and is a **** load brighter than halogens

halos are these

gens 3s have them as well as the earlier gens

everyone is rockin the gen 4's so if u want to be popular get those lol
Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 AM

Ok I think I get it better then. Dont think HID is quite what I want then....

The projectors look cool, so is Halo = Projector ??

Some one posted a while ago that they had issues where the clear coat would get messed up and the leans crazes. Is that because of brand?

How do you tell what Gen you get? When I look at the list to buy online it doesnt say what generation it is.

Lets see if I get this correct..
Retrofit = Tearing open stock, and putting in HID?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 AM

Might help some more
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/%7C%7C-official-headlight-taillight-thread%7C%7C-203962/
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
Ok I think I get it better then. Dont think HID is quite what I want then....

The projectors look cool, so is Halo = Projector ??

Some one posted a while ago that they had issues where the clear coat would get messed up and the leans crazes. Is that because of brand?

How do you tell what Gen you get? When I look at the list to buy online it doesnt say what generation it is.

Lets see if I get this correct..
Retrofit = Tearing open stock, and putting in HID?
ya if this **** confuses u def do not go retro fit. theres a how to on how to make them and it looks like a PITA. i have retros but i had blownss06 make them for em for like 600ish plus bulbs + ballast and ****... its an expensive route but soooo worth it

the halos go around the projector. so technically if u see halos its surrounding a projector. however u can get projectors (such as the gen 4s) that do not have halos. halos are just a decorative light that looks cool. doesnt really serve a purpose other than cosmetics

if your looking at getting aftermarket lights definatly get HIDs. you will have much better light output and you will still have a proper cut off so it will not blind on coming traffic.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No you want hids trust me on that. You want them for several reasons. 1, The reason that the aftermarket projectors have issues with the lens spidercracking is the high heat from halogen bulbs. HIDs run cooler and will prevent this issue if you install them from the very start. 2, the projectors have much worse light output with halogen bulbs than the stock headlights, and you don't want that. HIDs when done in projectors look and perform great and don't bother anyone if you aim them properly. To avoid issues with them, get a relay harness and install it when you buy them, this way you draw power directly through the battery instead of through the tiny wiring the stock lighting uses, and avoid flickering and burning out wiring.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tommyp2010
No you want hids trust me on that. You want them for several reasons. 1, The reason that the aftermarket projectors have issues with the lens spidercracking is the high heat from halogen bulbs. HIDs run cooler and will prevent this issue if you install them from the very start. 2, the projectors have much worse light output with halogen bulbs than the stock headlights, and you don't want that. HIDs when done in projectors look and perform great and don't bother anyone if you aim them properly. To avoid issues with them, get a relay harness and install it when you buy them, this way you draw power directly through the battery instead of through the tiny wiring the stock lighting uses, and avoid flickering and burning out wiring.
If it draws THAT much power.....
would it say give me
25mpg day time
18mpg night time? lol Im exagerating. But seriously if HIDS draw enough to require a relay, then is there some noticable drain on the engine?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Dont buy after market projectors they are built super shitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by insylem
If it draws THAT much power.....
would it say give me
25mpg day time
18mpg night time? lol Im exagerating. But seriously if HIDS draw enough to require a relay, then is there some noticable drain on the engine?
HID's draw LESS power once they are started - it's the initial surge of current needed to ignite them that kills the stock wiring.

As far as I can tell, all the aftermarket projectors come from China regardless of who you buy them from - fourth gen's might be the exception, have not looked too close at these. The quality is poor right out of the box and it doesn't take long for the covers to crack / peel, the led's to burn out, the wiring to fail......

Retrofit with hid's will be number one for usable light output but very expensive even if you do them yourself.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM

hid's in stock housing is the way to go! lol
Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM

HID means high intensity discarge. Hid will without a doubt make the road brighter and mixed with projector headlights will be even more of a range of brightness. If you go with projos and hid... Make sure you buy some silicone to seal the projos because they use a shitty adheisive and you don't want moisture in the projos. You HIDs will not last very long if you don't reseal.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
www.buyhids.com has headlight options as well as halo projectors and HID kits.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
HID's draw LESS power once they are started - it's the initial surge of current needed to ignite them that kills the stock wiring.

As far as I can tell, all the aftermarket projectors come from China regardless of who you buy them from - fourth gen's might be the exception, have not looked too close at these. The quality is poor right out of the box and it doesn't take long for the covers to crack / peel, the led's to burn out, the wiring to fail......

Retrofit with hid's will be number one for usable light output but very expensive even if you do them yourself.
That is correct 100%. Relays are more of a safety percaution that keep your wiring from burning out and save you a huge headache. The lack of relay is what causes flickering and one bulb not turning on on startup. If you have a plug and play kit and have to turn your lights on and off to get them to come on, you need a relay. Many on here will tell you that you don't need them and can go straight plug and play, but why else would every set of retros come with them, because it's the right way to do it to prevent problems.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM

on my 07 lt i had i got the gen 4's and did not get hids... they ended up spidering out.. in the other hand my buddy has gen 4's on his 08 ls and got hids right after... they are fine

get the gen 4's and hids, no probs, lights dont look cheap either
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM

I just got my 4th gens and installed them this morning. I love they way they look but they need to be adjusted up. Anyways if i use HID in them do i need both bulbs on each side or is the highbeam bulb fine? i would like to save the headache of having to buy new lights just cause they mess up the casing. Is that link to the HID kits the best place to get them? do i just need the 9007 one?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kavslayer
I just got my 4th gens and installed them this morning. I love they way they look but they need to be adjusted up. Anyways if i use HID in them do i need both bulbs on each side or is the highbeam bulb fine? i would like to save the headache of having to buy new lights just cause they mess up the casing. Is that link to the HID kits the best place to get them? do i just need the 9007 one?
dude get hids ASAP! im tellin you, the stock hologyns will **** your lights up befor you know it. you only need one pair, dont get highbeams, no need for them, 9k or 6k w/e

asap man!!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 PM

just get the retro fits from buyhids.com... they are 400 bucks and thats a steal for retrofits.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM

dude I had Gen4's on my car before. I recommend you take those off and wait till you get your HID's on. You'll experience the stress crack occurring. I wished I knew about that before I gotten my HID's, now I got the crack on my left side as a result. I'm thinking about buying some stock OEM headlights off ebay and use the lens for the Gen4's so I don't end up throwing out my investment. Also, go to www.ddmtuning.com you'll save yourself some money and good quality. Had my DDM HID's for 3 months without issues.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ when there is a issue you have to pay for warrenty. my lifetime warranty if free and we ship out replacment part with a return label for you to return the broken one if there is a need At 69.99 free shipping or 79.99 free shipping and relay harness. Its hard to beat
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM

I'm confused, don't know if your talking about DDM or Depos. If your talking about DEPO's, I want some more information on it.