Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

I need help with selecting LED's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with selecting LED's

I converting all of my dash lighting to white LED's . I know exactly how Im going to string them behind the guages and inside the hvac's , radio and switches ....but . I really dont know what led is appropriate to use as far as brightness and viewing angle . I can choose MCD's from 1500 to 18000 and viewing angles from 10* to 360* .

What would be an appropriate MCD to use that would be very bright without being offensive ? Im shooting for the same intensity as many of the bright white LED lit OEM instrument clusters . Should I use a 5 or 3 mm leds . Im assuming 5mm's for the instrument cluster , heater controls and radio and 3mm for all the backlit switches ??

Also , in the instrument cluster , I planned on placing one led under each number . And 1 RED led at the base of each needle . Hopefully that will be enuff to evenly light everything . Question there ....what would be an appropriate viewing angle to use ?? I was thinking a 45* angle should be sufficient since there will be one LED under each number ?? And maybe on red leds for needles select a really low viewing angle . I dont want the red light scattered , I want it on the needle only . I want to aim it directly at the base of the needle where the clear diffuser is that directs the light path up thru the needle .

I know there a few guys on here that really knowledgeable with LEDs , hopefully some of yall see this . I have the tech smarts to fab up and wire all I wanna do , just need help selecting the right bright white LED's .

Thanks for any help