Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Looking for reccomendations for leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for reccomendations for leather

Looking for a reccomendation for treating the internal leather of the new car.

Also would be interested in reccomendations for exterior wax/cleaners.

Any detail guys have some good advice?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use armor all leather protectant every week.... it works great. the seats are always very soft, and they seem to wrinkle/wear a lot slower than normal

you just spray it on a terry cloth then run it all over the leather surfaces
Old 07-03-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by sethallen
i use armor all leather protectant every week.... it works great. the seats are always very soft, and they seem to wrinkle/wear a lot slower than normal

you just spray it on a terry cloth then run it all over the leather surfaces

NOOOO Armor all suck IMO. After a while everything started to crack and fade. Good leather cleaner should come in a bottle, not a spray. Go with Zano Brothers, they make great products for everything. Turtle wax "ice" series is really nice too for waxing, I prefer Maguires but that's only cause it cost less. I use Maguires everything!!! There NXT wax is really sweet too!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlakin
Looking for a reccomendation for treating the internal leather of the new car.

Also would be interested in reccomendations for exterior wax/cleaners.

Any detail guys have some good advice?

im not a detail guy but i am a gal that details really really well. ask some of the people that have seen mine at a car cruise...

for leather, there is a container of wipes that is called Meguaiar's Gold Class Rich Leather wipes. they make your leather soft yet slighty shiney. i have used armor all leather stuff but it leaves an oily feel to it. if you also want you dash shiney use armor all protectant wipes. they are my favorite.

for wax. i used on my bfs car it smells like lotion and its in a clear bottle but the stuff is a baby blue color. i cant remember the name of it. but it works well specially if you have an attraction of bugs, its easier to get bugs off the front. and for washing the car i just use regular car wash soap, scrub it down first then use the mr clean car wash thing. just spray it with the soap, rinse, then go over it with the mist that filters the minerals out of your water to leave no water spots, let it dry. works really well.

but that is what i do to my car and i always get complements on the cleanliness of it.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
NOOOO Armor all suck IMO. After a while everything started to crack and fade. Good leather cleaner should come in a bottle, not a spray. Go with Zano Brothers, they make great products for everything. Turtle wax "ice" series is really nice too for waxing, I prefer Maguires but that's only cause it cost less. I use Maguires everything!!! There NXT wax is really sweet too!
on all of my previous vehicles i have always used armor all, i have never had any cracks or fading... ever.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Karla
on all of my previous vehicles i have always used armor all, i have never had any cracks or fading... ever.

If you keep it up and maintain it is always looks nice, but for me it's too shiny and I hate the film it leaves behind. I use some Armor protectact on my weather striping and the next car wash I did it turn really dull and grayish. Armol all I think is more of a show piece product that just makes everything shiny so it appears new, rather then a protectant that helps your leather, trim etc...like Maguires. But that's just my opinion, no real facts to back it up.

Grimlakin, try armol on one seat, and something else on the other? Wax one door with something, and then wax the other door with something else? What color is your car btw?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:55 PM

O ya and MICRO FIBER TOWELS are a must. NO terry cloth cotton BS, they leaves fine scratches in your paint. Only use Terry cloth when wiping away wax. And when you clean your micro fiber towels, run then in cold water with very little, and gentle soap. like a tablespoon for a load. Heavy soap and lots of it will leave a film on the towels the will make your car have streak marks, I've done it, its not fun at all.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:58 AM

Great advice.. so mguires seems to be the reccomended way to go.

She is black.

And as I just got tinted... any advice to cleaning th internal tint and getting the bubbles out of the top of the rear window. it has a lifetime warranty and I tipped pretty heavily to the place I went to so i don't expect any issues. Just asking. Still have some fingerprints from the install guys that I want to get rid of.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TurboWax and Zaino
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 AM

She is black.

And as I just got tinted... any advice to cleaning th internal tint and getting the bubbles out of the top of the rear window. it has a lifetime warranty and I tipped pretty heavily to the place I went to so i don't expect any issues. Just asking. Still have some fingerprints from the install guys that I want to get rid of.
either go back or use a hair dryer or heat gun. if it has a warrenty though, i would go back, they shouldnt have any problems in fixing those little things up
Old 07-05-2006, 02:14 PM

I actually went to a BMW dealer and bought some of their leather treater.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Do not use any type of spray for the leather. It leaves terrible water spots. I use armor all leather wipes. It looks fantastic. The key with the wipes are to make sure you over lap. Otherwise you will get streaks.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 PM

also the bubbles in the top of the rear window cannot be fixed. They are there because your defogger dimples are in that area. Thus not allowing the tint to stick and seal properly to the window. You could sand those dimples off you would lose the defogger for that portion of the window but the tint will stick properly.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Lexol Cleaning Products
Old 07-05-2006, 03:31 PM

She is black.

Good luck w/ the dot matrix. The place I got mine done from sawed mine down so it wouldn't leave the bubbles lol.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 PM

The Right way to Clean Leather

Any Leather Product is enriched with different oils, Depending on the use of the Leather!
For Leather that we have in our cars you should clean as Follows:

1)vac of choose to get up big stuff
2)wash using a mild soap or Leather cleaner (No Citrus base as it will remove the oils in the Leather)
3) Use a good Leather cream Ph Balanced apply thoughlly, Let set, then wipe off with soft towel (Micro Fiber works well)

You should Never use Oil base Protectants on Leather, It throws off the ph balance in the leather!

Ive Been Certified By the IICUC since 1993
Stands for International Institute of Carpet And Ulpholestry Cleaning
Thats my 2 cents
Old 07-05-2006, 11:29 PM

hey blilbt, do you know anything about the BMW treater? Is it any good? I figured since they use it on $100,000 cars that it would be good.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by DJMKAFKA
Lexol Cleaning Products
Agreed Lexol is about the best leather cleaner and conditioners out there.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by hennessey833
hey blilbt, do you know anything about the BMW treater? Is it any good? I figured since they use it on $100,000 cars that it would be good.
All Leather Cleaners & Conditioners are designed the same bascily, If You Read the Bottle you will see that almost all of them are the same.
I use lexol cleaner & conditioner is Ph Balanced, But there are lots of different kinds !
It is always good to use a little mild soap about every 3rd time you clean your seats. Helps remove the build up on the surface. It also opens the pores of the leather & lets the Conditioner penatrate Deeper into the Leather