Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Lower grill cover on SS/SC questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:46 PM
tio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower grill cover on SS/SC questions

Hey all !

My wife went to order the lower grill cover for my car today and the parts guy tried to talk her out of it. He told her that the supercharged version of the Cobalt should not have the grill cover due to overheating concerns. He "claimed" that GM says that the warranty will not cover overheating concerns due to the extra grill cover. I have 3 questions.

1) Has anyone else been told this ?
2) Those of you that have it allready, any difference in operating temperature ?
3) $ 144.oo (Can. funds) with taxes, is this too much ?

Steve.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 PM

D_backer1 has a mesh grill that he made on his and he hasn't had any problems that I know of, and that is in Arizona, USA weather.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tio
Hey all !

My wife went to order the lower grill cover for my car today and the parts guy tried to talk her out of it. He told her that the supercharged version of the Cobalt should not have the grill cover due to overheating concerns. He "claimed" that GM says that the warranty will not cover overheating concerns due to the extra grill cover. I have 3 questions.

2) Those of you that have it allready, any difference in operating temperature ?

Steve.
I made a mesh grill for mine as well with no problems. Didn't raise the average temps so much as a degree.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:55 PM

I have the one ordered from Gm and I havnt see any change in temperature at all. But it is winter lol, I doubt it will cause any problems.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:00 PM

1) NO, they don't know ****!
2) NO, not a single degree!
3) YES HELL YES!!!

Steve I've been using that grill since the beginning of summer and no problems at all. I got the grill for $92 plus tax so your "dealer" is sticking it to you bud. Ang or myself can get you that grill for about that price bro.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:32 PM
tio

Originally Posted by ninja44
3) YES HELL YES!!!

Steve I've been using that grill since the beginning of summer and no problems at all. I got the grill for $92 plus tax so your "dealer" is sticking it to you bud. Ang or myself can get you that grill for about that price bro.

Your the best Sean, thanx !

Thank you everyone for the quick replies.

Steve.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
D_backer1 has a mesh grill that he made on his and he hasn't had any problems that I know of, and that is in Arizona, USA weather.
No problems at all and it saved me from having a bird eat my intercooler Just went to Home Depot and bought a 2' x 8' sheet of gutter gaurd approx $6 USD cut to fit and saved the rest to replace when rocks or small animals try to go where they are not welcome Save's big $'s
Old 11-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ninja44
3) YES HELL YES!!!

I got mine for about $45.00 from the dealer. Try to go gmpartsdirect.com
Old 11-25-2005, 01:17 AM

I have the gm grille ( cost me about US$45 from the dealer and snapped right in )

absolutely no change in my coolant temp readings .. I suppose in theory a grille that blocks the airflow more (the gm grille is just a few bars across the area and so no loss of airflow) could maybe cause the radiators to get a bit less air but I doubt it makes enough difference to be concerned.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:18 AM

... get the grille from GM, your car wont overheat and itll save you from having to buy a new intercooler, radiator, and condensor when a bird goes flying into it

i recently bought one for my ss/sc... no overheating issues, it looks sweet and i paid 42.00 after taxes
Old 11-25-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
d backer1, that grill on yours looks really good!!! i almost can't believe they didn't just have a grill put there from the factory!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:34 AM

How do you put the custom mesh grille in there and get it to stay? What do you use?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by tio
Hey all !

Steve.
I have the lower grille cover and there is no operating temperature differences
Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by d_backer1
No problems at all and it saved me from having a bird eat my intercooler Just went to Home Depot and bought a 2' x 8' sheet of gutter gaurd approx $6 USD cut to fit and saved the rest to replace when rocks or small animals try to go where they are not welcome
Not to sound ignorant (but I am), but how then is this fastened to the body?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

The GM grille will let more air through than any other I have seen.

I wish I could be the first one to sue GM when $1000 worth the cooling system is taken out by a bird the size of my fist.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Site Founder

Buy it from Crate Engine Depot. They are a Supporting Vendor on this site and offer a good price.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JonelZ!
Buy it from Crate Engine Depot. They are a Supporting Vendor on this site and offer a good price.
Awesome Site - THANKS
Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by JonelZ!
I'd make sure it fits the SS/SC first, I notice it says that it will also fit the SS. A local dealer here had a lower grill in stock, but it would not fit my SS/SC. So I'm pretty sure the n/a SS and SS/SC have the same size openings, but the base models are different.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM

D_backer used the plastic fasteners that were already there, I think he said there are 3 of them, for the top part. He just bent the mesh and put the fasteners through it. On the bottom he drilled a few small holes and used zip ties (cable ties, whatever you want to call them) to fasten it down. I think Alleycat has in another post that she just put the zip tie through the existing openings on the lower lip spoiler.

Here is another thread on that.
Lower SS S/C Grill

I'll probably be doing that today, but I'm thinking I might paint the mesh with Krylon Semi-Flat black first.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by mken
I'd make sure it fits the SS/SC first, I notice it says that it will also fit the SS. A local dealer here had a lower grill in stock, but it would not fit my SS/SC. So I'm pretty sure the n/a SS and SS/SC have the same size openings, but the base models are different.
It fits, I know about 20 members that got it from Tom and fits w/o problems.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Here is a link to the lower grill on our website:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1319C109.aspx
This second link to show how it installs:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/cobaltins.html
I have sold about 30 of these since August (thank you members) with out any problems.

Thanks guys.....
Old 11-25-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
The GM grille will let more air through than any other I have seen.

I wish I could be the first one to sue GM when $1000 worth the cooling system is taken out by a bird the size of my fist.
I agree! That's why I've decided to buy that one. It just snaps in, so I can snap it back out when summer comes. (my reason for getting it is to prevent a lot of the snow/ice/crap from getting in there and blocking the air flow, not to mention the possibility of it freezing up). My car turns into a snowplow since the parking spot at my work is never shoveled enuf!
Old 11-25-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SSBlondie
I agree! That's why I've decided to buy that one. It just snaps in, so I can snap it back out when summer comes. (my reason for getting it is to prevent a lot of the snow/ice/crap from getting in there and blocking the air flow, not to mention the possibility of it freezing up). My car turns into a snowplow since the parking spot at my work is never shoveled enuf!
It won't be easy to "snap out" as you describe. The plastic tabs that keep the grill in place are uni-directional which means you'll break them if you try to force them backwards.

And Steve, the dealer quoted you full list for the part. You shoud be able to score one for $105-$110.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
How do you put the custom mesh grille in there and get it to stay? What do you use?
There are three pull out clips that hold your bumper plastic to the bumper itself pop those out bend the mesh back and pop through holes in the mesh, and on the lower lip you have to drill 3 or 4 holes in the lower lip and zip tie the mesh to it then all is good also like ArrivalblueSS says if you put in the GM cover and try to remove it you will break the tabs that hold it in
Old 11-25-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmaasta
I have the one ordered from Gm and I havnt see any change in temperature at all. But it is winter lol, I doubt it will cause any problems.
Hi there!

Can you give me the part number for this GM product please?
I just called my Dealership and he says they don't make one - the car's too new blah blah blah...

I'd really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Lower grill cover on SS/SC questions