Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Odd DRL behavior since HID install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd DRL behavior since HID install...

Just installed HID fogs and lows (H7s) in my case, since I put them in 2nd gen CCFL projector headlights.

I used an accessory HID relay harness for both the foglights and low beams, however I am not sure this should have any affect on anything other than prevention of excessive heat in the stock wiring.

I turn the car on, during the day, the car will turn the HID low beams on to what seems like 100% brightness. My fogs do turn on. I hit the fog light button from inside the car, then the lows turn off and the fogs turn on. This is what is wierd to me. Previously, with stock everything, I remember the DRLs coming on, but if I turned on the foglights, the lows would stay on but dimly, just like the always would in the day.

I did not pull the DRL fuse after the HID install. If the DRLs would normally send about half power the the headlights during the day to keep them lit then how could my HIDs now be lit at full brightness, is it that they can only be on all or nothing? Does it have anything to do with my usage of a relay harness?

Up for any ideas, suggestions or other personal experiences with others' HID experiences.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Pull your DRL fuse. You're gonna mess up your HID's.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Acey
Pull your DRL fuse. You're gonna mess up your HID's.
Truth
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my low beams use to be on all the time during the day
than all of the sudden they stopped going on during the day and they go on automatically when it gets dark out
idk if thats what it is suppose to do but i could of sworn my hids use to automatically be on during the day but yet again i could be wrong
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firerat
Just installed HID fogs and lows (H7s) in my case, since I put them in 2nd gen CCFL projector headlights.

I used an accessory HID relay harness for both the foglights and low beams, however I am not sure this should have any affect on anything other than prevention of excessive heat in the stock wiring.

I turn the car on, during the day, the car will turn the HID low beams on to what seems like 100% brightness. My fogs do turn on. I hit the fog light button from inside the car, then the lows turn off and the fogs turn on. This is what is wierd to me. Previously, with stock everything, I remember the DRLs coming on, but if I turned on the foglights, the lows would stay on but dimly, just like the always would in the day.

I did not pull the DRL fuse after the HID install. If the DRLs would normally send about half power the the headlights during the day to keep them lit then how could my HIDs now be lit at full brightness, is it that they can only be on all or nothing? Does it have anything to do with my usage of a relay harness?
Up for any ideas, suggestions or other personal experiences with others' HID experiences.

Thanks
By using relays () you have taking the drl module out of the equation. The RELAY is getting a reduced voltage from the drl module but it doesn't really matter - as long as the voltage is high enough it will trigger the relay. Once it does, you will be putting full voltage to the ballast and your hid's will operate at full brightness.

Not sure on the market cars - does turning on the fogs turn off the low beams unless it is dark enough for the auto headlight function to operate? Pretty sure on my market car you always have drl's or low beams regardless of the fog lights being on or not - will have to check that later today.

I agree with Acey, pull the drl fuse - you don't have a low voltage issue like those who wire hid's direct to the factory wiringbut too many on/off cycles are not kind to them either.
Hit the foglights or turn on the headlights instead - only takes a second and gives you the same safety benefits as drl's without sacrificing your hid's lifespan.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 PM

okay, fair enough, what lifespan would i compromising first? Light bulbs or the ballasts, which would be most likely to die first from too much on/off cycling?

Last edited by firerat; 09-11-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by firerat
okay, fair enough, what lifespan would i compromising first? Light bulbs or the ballasts, which would be most likely to die first from too much on/off cycling?
Could be either but more likely the ballast.
Nice thing with hid's is the have much longer lifespans than halogens so you can turn them on when you start up and leave them on till you shut down. Car will probably wear out before the bulbs do
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Guys Where Is The DRL Fuse Located In A Cobalt ?!

Honestly I Coudn't Find It

Is It The One In The Engine Compartment Or One Inside The Cabin ?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Engine compartment fuse box. Should be in the middle of the panel.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
By using relays () you have taking the drl module out of the equation. The RELAY is getting a reduced voltage from the drl module but it doesn't really matter - as long as the voltage is high enough it will trigger the relay. Once it does, you will be putting full voltage to the ballast and your hid's will operate at full brightness.

Not sure on the market cars - does turning on the fogs turn off the low beams unless it is dark enough for the auto headlight function to operate? Pretty sure on my market car you always have drl's or low beams regardless of the fog lights being on or not - will have to check that later today.

I agree with Acey, pull the drl fuse - you don't have a low voltage issue like those who wire hid's direct to the factory wiringbut too many on/off cycles are not kind to them either.
Hit the foglights or turn on the headlights instead - only takes a second and gives you the same safety benefits as drl's without sacrificing your hid's lifespan.
this doesnt make sense, if he has the drl fuse in and his hids are at full power both during the day and at night, there is actually less on off cycles cause the hids wont have to power on when it starts getting dark, plus when its cloudy out, and the auto lights come on and go off with every cloud like mine do sometimes, the hids wont be going on and off all the time, they will just stay on when it switches from drl to low beam.