43.35%
no
56.65%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Is underglow on a cobalt to ricey

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2.4million color LED kit on my 2.4l SS and it's SICK. lol you can call it ricey if you want but it's only cause you wish you had it
Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love mine
Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Yes It Is Very Ricey Imo.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by idunn
"Rice" is basically any type of modification that serves no significant performance gain. Like previously stated... if you have to ask if its rice, it probably is. Most of you are in ricer denial, but thats ok. I'm not here to criticize. They are your cars, you should do what you want no matter what anyone says as long as you like it. But if you must know, I got the info below from wikipedia to help you out.

-Body modifications-
Aerodynamic-seeming or creatively-designed body kits, often with little function
Wings and spoilers that serve no useful function.
Carbon fiber hoods or fiberglass replicas made to look like carbon fiber
Non-functional hood scoops and roof scoops.
Aftermarket scissor doors that open similarly to those of a Lamborghini
Excessively large wheels ("rims"), often chromed or painted in bright colors
Excessively lowered suspension
Bumper canards fitted to the front bumper

-Aesthetics-
Bright paint or interior, frequently in contrasting colors
Decals and stickers for aftermarket parts (parts that may not even be installed on the car)
Badging from other higher-performance vehicles or JDM tuning companies such as Mugen or Nismo
Digital turbo, consisting of speakers installed under the car that emulate the sound of a turbo engine
A loud, free-flowing exhaust system with a large cylindrical resonator at the rear of the car, known as a "fart cannon" or "coffee can"
Large speakers that occupy the entire trunk.

-Lighting-
Decorative neon and LED lighting in addition to the regular head/tail lamps and brake/turn signals, such as lighted windshield washer nozzles and tire valve caps, underbody neon lighting ("hover lights")
"Altezza"-style lights or "Altezzas" (equally popular and known as "Lexus" lights in Europe), which have the colored light sources and reflective bodies contained within chrome housings and clear lenses
HID headlamps with high kelvin color temperature, causing excessive glare.
So by that definition, then people who put the HID headlights on are ricey.....people who put engine dress from places like MRZ are ricey, people like Donna who make a show car are ricey, and if you have a decal of any type on your car, you're ricey. And people with the megan racing exhaust are ricey because their exhaust has a canister style exhaust.

So by that qualification this car is rice:

I personally think that is a fucked up definition, that says that you shouldn't do any visual modifications and focus only on performance otherwise you're a ricer. Saying all cars should look the same/stock and be 'sleepers'. Thats a dumb and extremely biased definition.

he has a sticker in the window, and did a mod that wasn't at all directed at performance. He did a trunklid swap with the LS in the background. And by that definition...Reign SS...an0malous....Jackalope....and many more members are ricey

Quoting wikipedia FTL

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
haha.. i love that there was a real definition.. but that pretty much covers it. Lights = Rice

I like your comment about "ricer-denial" i'd say that sums it up for EVERYONE who voted "no"
EVERYONE who voted no, thinks that under glow kits can look very nice from a show aspect, and just to do something a little different other than keep a car 100% stock looking and being a 'sleeper' and mot have fun with their cars in a visual sense, and that making your car afster is the only point to modifying it. This whole over use of the 'ricer' term FTL
Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
So by that definition, then people who put the HID headlights on are ricey.....people who put engine dress from places like MRZ are ricey, people like Donna who make a show car are ricey, and if you have a decal of any type on your car, you're ricey. And people with the megan racing exhaust are ricey because their exhaust has a canister style exhaust.
basically yea, i see you are getting the hang of it. with the exception of the megan racing echaust, if its providing more power than stock, its not considred rice.

I personally think that is a fucked up definition, that says that you shouldn't do any visual modifications and focus only on performance otherwise you're a ricer. Saying all cars should look the same/stock and be 'sleepers'. Thats a dumb and extremely biased definition.

he has a sticker in the window, and did a mod that wasn't at all directed at performance. He did a trunklid swap with the LS in the background. And by that definition...Reign SS...an0malous....Jackalope....and many more members are ricey.
before you get all butt hurt and defensive over the internet, you are very much entitled to your opinion just as much as I am. I never once degraded anyone or anything about being "ricey". Its not necessarialy a bad thing, it just depends on the degree. There are several modifications you can do to alter the car from looking "stock".
Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by idunn
basically yea, i see you are getting the hang of it. with the exception of the megan racing echaust, if its providing more power than stock, its not considred rice.

before you get all butt hurt and defensive over the internet, you are very much entitled to your opinion just as much as I am. I never once degraded anyone or anything about being "ricey". Its not necessarialy a bad thing, it just depends on the degree. There are several modifications you can do to alter the car from looking "stock".
I'm not saying you don't have an opinion, I was simply expressing mine on how idiotic, close-minded, and stupid I feel yours is.

I was only going by the definition you posted up man, nothing personal at all. I just don't think (my opinion) your opinion is fair in any sense.

And how is the megan racing exhaust not considered rice? It has a canister exhaust, all canister exhausts are automatically ricey.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM

green looks the best on a black balt , ikeryder has the multi color and green and red looks best
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

get a multi color, just what ever you do dont get white, why would you get a tone and not a COLOR, im planning on going red just because it contrasts my car the most even tho i hate red.

but i wouldnt even use the word rice, its a dumb term that degrades imports based on americans or westerners views of civil pride. go ahead and post up in the honda forums about what you think about the word rice. i know i enjoy using words my old redneck farm buds use. theres always going to be douches out there and let them have a car that looks like the next one. neons, LEDS, stickers all count for something in shows. hence why you see sema cars and many show cars with them.

and idunn then according to your wiki-definition half your mods in your sig are rice

Last edited by BlueSS-supercharged; 11-20-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
get a multi color, just what ever you do dont get white, why would you get a tone and not a COLOR, im planning on going red just because it contrasts my car the most even tho i hate red.

but i wouldnt even use the word rice, its a dumb term that degrades imports based on americans or westerners views of civil pride. go ahead and post up in the honda forums about what you think about the word rice. i know i enjoy using words my old redneck farm buds use. theres always going to be douches out there and let them have a car that looks like the next one. neons, LEDS, stickers all count for something in shows. hence why you see sema cars and many show cars with them.

and idunn then according to your wiki-definition half your mods in your sig are rice
Oh my goodness!! Brain-usage! +invis-rep man!

I wouldn't say red though. Purple, white, or heck, even yellow may look good. Purple or white for you!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

purple as a good contrast for mine or the OP car? cause im not sure about purple against AB (my color)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Kinda off topic but..... wikipedia isnt always the most reliable source..... finding any sources from wikipedia is a big no no in the academia/college setting..... for a while anyone could write on there and now its regulated a little more.... but wikipedia is not scientific fact its the opinion of the writter. however you wont find them on my balt... they add like 3 extra pounds, thats what .0005 slower in the quarter
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM

i dont think it is i got multi color led under my car i mainly run green tho.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM

umm.. incase you didnt know.. marketing "rice" products makes $$. Many of the items at SEMA are "Rice" oriented.

Cheap crappy products sell for big profit!!! Why do you think AEM sell so many "cold air intakes" its a tube with a filter.. and brings in tons of cash!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Here's the way I see it. Its something that I want, but I can't put my self up to putting it on my car. As much as I like it, I don't know if I could drive around with it on my car because of the way people perceive underbody neons.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kanabrewski
thanks BTW

ok, now....here is the difference between a clean install and all others. IF you can see any break or minimally between the glow in a circle under the car then it's slightly scored less in glow competitions.

which is why i went with a custom setup of flex led strips rather than tubes with neon or led's

I'm sorry, it all comes down to the install, green neon tubes on a blue neon.....yeah that's ricey
thats ******* hott
Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 PM

true, but then again i never said anything about "rice" being a bad thing. IMO there are degree's of rice, now debadgeing and removing the spoiler I would consider "de-riceing" considering it brings less attention, as does a smaller antenna... opposed to some bright colored lights that scream "Hey look at me!". If you were talking about my painted interior, Its a dark gunmetal, which again brings less attention than the stock satin nickel which also had several nics in it. But yes, I could see how these mods would be classified under "rice" but to a minor degree that no one really pays attention to.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 PM

whats everyone think about this kit?..pretty damn cheap just shipping that would suck haha.. http://cgi.ebay.ca/BLUE-LED-UNDERBOD...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Its been considered RICE since the first fast and the furious movie came out!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM

These are all just ******* space ships...

lol, j/k

I think the lights are kool, but I would do all my performance mods before those. I really like the blue ones.

Originally Posted by eurochevy
whats everyone think about this kit?..pretty damn cheap just shipping that would suck haha.. http://cgi.ebay.ca/BLUE-LED-UNDERBOD...QQcmdZViewItem
That looks like a good deal, I would get it.

Last edited by GreenPurgatory; 12-12-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM

I like underglow on anything. Sure grabs attention.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM

If done right I dont think it looks ricey. If the bulbs are hidden well and are a color to accent the car it looks good.

The ones I hate are those ones that change colors. Fugly!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

he has a sticker in the window, and did a mod that wasn't at all directed at performance. He did a trunklid swap with the LS in the background. And by that definition...Reign SS...an0malous....Jackalope....and many more members are ricey
hey, thats my name
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 AM

My personal deffinition of "rice" would be mods that don't mesh well with each other. I.E. Bright green car, with bright yellow underglow, red engine accents, blue trunk accents. But, as many have also stated previously....it's ur car, ur tha only one who will have to look at it all tha time, so do whatcha want to enjoy it

Also, IMO - Led's are much more clearer and steady than Neons. But PLEASE don't grab various colored christmas tree lights and shove them into a tube.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
hey, thats my name
That it is! You have an extremely clean ride, you helped my claim!

Quick Reply: Is underglow on a cobalt to ricey