Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Mark I'll come by sometime next week I was asked to work this weekend so I have to do all the work to my car in the evenings?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no worries, anytime you want just stop in.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
i dont do much auto cross, mainly just ripping it up with the masses on the street and the odd time on the strip. my pirellis lasted about 20 000km, ran kuhmo's ever since. i got about 100 000km off kuhmo's with decent performance levels. this time tho i will sacrifice some longevity for lil bit more stickier tires.

which reminds me i do have 2 kuhmo asx 225 45 18 with about half tread, maybe a lil less, kicking around here too.
Shitty too tall for me I need 40s. I have 40000miles on my car and I've been through 14 tires
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM

hahahahahahahahahahah im guessing the accelerator pedal is a button? either on or off. my first car i babied, this car i beat on it pretty good. between them i have put about 250 000 km and working on my forth set of tires. i dont see myself having a different toy, winter vehicle yes.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM

hahahahahahahahahahah im guessing the accelerator pedal is a button? either on or off. my first car i babied, this car i beat on it pretty good. between them i have put about 250 000 km and working on my forth set of tires. i dont see myself having a different toy, winter vehicle yes.
Well I had my tune at 5000km just after first oil change. I believe if the tires spin its not my fault the tires can't stick so I'll just stay in it. Why not??
Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM

That's why I bought the NT05 way less wheel spin
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM

hahahahahahahaha sounds logical to me.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Direzza ZII are some of the best tires I've ever driven on, super grippy and the top choice for a lot of auto event people
Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM

i never tried dunlops. my situation is a lil unique, i will end up buying what my buddy gets in stock. he usually stocks nitto's.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM

I wanna try some Hankook Ventus R-S3. they're softer than an NT05 and have a tread pattern that won't leave you screwed if is snows a tiny bit
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM

I can't wait for winter tobe done. I use my washer bottle for my meth and I'm having to fill it up twice a weekI go through so much and I'm only spraying 475cc
Old 01-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
holy crap it was jonathan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good to see you back.
I never left my friend...
You know hte way it goes, life keeps you busy... in seasons.

i am having issues with my wideband. ... im chasing misfires like crazy.

jonathan i have done a few changes to my setup. im not sure my current tune is liking it as much as i do. i figure vince is going to want some money to have a look or make revisions. however i may need another huge revision later( to be honest i most likely run hpt with tvs). anyways i did a ac delete, 3 inch intake, header, and catback. also i have a ls4 TB here unable to play with coz of the need a of a tune revision. also there is a strong possibility of some more very serious mods (pnp head) down the way. what are your thoughts jonathan?
There are two limitations to Trifecta;
1) remote tuning
2) the OEM ECM's ability to moiter sub-systems

Aftermarket wideband and what not is all great if you are sitting there in person and able to adjust the tune as deemed fit, but because of the remote tuning, all that can be done, is a "base" tune is used as the starting point - I have no idea if the TB will be an issue or not (I would suspect it shouldn't be), but if something is being done that the factory ECM has no way of monitering, then Trifecta's ability to accurately tune you (based on a good datalog) will be evident;
All I can do is suggest doing a datalog, and throw it Vince's way;
From my experience with Evan, I can say that Vince will review the log, and if he deems it warranted, he may ask for an update fee - of which I am not interested in, so I would never charge up front ~ if he asks for it, then I would ask for it from you.

Frankly Mark, knowing that you're not able to HP tune, I would suggest that since you've already paid to have Trifecta, why not take it as far as you can take it - as in, get a good "base" tune for what ever your setup is, and then once that is nailed down, you can use HPT on top of this ~ and if it gets really loused up, I can reflash back to the latest tune I have for you.

Those are my thoughts.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Jonathan do you have extra wheels kicking around?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by KMO43
Jonathan do you have extra wheels kicking around?
Mark's assessment was correct;
They're neatly tucked away in my basement.

they're all loose, have varying "rash", and I would consider selling - but I wouldn't give them away.

I didn't mention it because Greg's suggestion of running 17's seemed to interest you...
I have personally test fitted 17" HHR/Cobalt rims, and although they do clear our brakes, it's tight... REALLY tight (i used a piece of paper to cerify that they don't rub - that's just how tight they are!)
There is also a version of the 18" SC rim that I believe was intended for the Malibu SS, which clears our brakes;
and the regular SC wheels nearly clear them - but require spacers.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

i would assume you might need to retune for the throttle body. its considerably bigger and it would throw the fuel trims out of whack. i am not sure if the ecu would compisate for it. im in no hurry to datalog but if we got to it whenever you have time thats ok by me. the car is running somewhat ok. i may do a lil research bout the TB but i may just throw it on and see what happens. if it runs like crap i will take it off and wait til you have time to datalog with it on so vince can make a revision.

the biggest reason i would venture away from trifecta is because it is a remote tune. to be able to adjust the car as we go like you can with hpt. to me its a better solution with higher hp sc cars. as we know i am fairly close to the limit of the m62 and have a fair amount invested. i would hate to see it go down the tubes. i would say the same if i was running a tvs. i do have a few options for hpt open up for me but as you know they mainly involve someone coming here from out of province. pickles has said in passing he would still tune me, i would still let him, but it is hard to pry him away from his personal life.

i also want to add that trifecta supplies cobalt owners a good service and i would always use thier product if needed. just hpt can be that much better in supercharged cars. as i feel sc cars are harder to dial in.

Last edited by jrmotosports 88; 01-22-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
Mark's assessment was correct;
They're neatly tucked away in my basement.

they're all loose, have varying "rash", and I would consider selling - but I wouldn't give them away.

I didn't mention it because Greg's suggestion of running 17's seemed to interest you...
I have personally test fitted 17" HHR/Cobalt rims, and although they do clear our brakes, it's tight... REALLY tight (i used a piece of paper to cerify that they don't rub - that's just how tight they are!)
There is also a version of the 18" SC rim that I believe was intended for the Malibu SS, which clears our brakes;
and the regular SC wheels nearly clear them - but require spacers.

What are to wheels from that you have?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by KMO43
What are to wheels from that you have?
without searching through several pages of posts to quote Mark, I believe he suggested I have four sets of SS/TC wheels...
Which is REALLY close to being correct.

My summers are in the garage, my winters are on the car, and the extras are in the house.

I used to have six SS/SC wheels, but I'm back down to two ~ which I really need to get the DR's pulled off of, and put onto SS/TC wheels (see sig below).
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM

i would assume you might need to retune for the throttle body. its considerably bigger and it would throw the fuel trims out of whack. i am not sure if the ecu would compisate for it. im in no hurry to datalog but if we got to it whenever you have time thats ok by me. the car is running somewhat ok. i may do a lil research bout the TB but i may just throw it on and see what happens. if it runs like crap i will take it off and wait til you have time to datalog with it on so vince can make a revision.

the biggest reason i would venture away from trifecta is because it is a remote tune. to be able to adjust the car as we go like you can with hpt. to me its a better solution with higher hp sc cars. as we know i am fairly close to the limit of the m62 and have a fair amount invested. i would hate to see it go down the tubes. i would say the same if i was running a tvs. i do have a few options for hpt open up for me but as you know they mainly involve someone coming here from out of province. pickles has said in passing he would still tune me, i would still let him, but it is hard to pry him away from his personal life.

i also want to add that trifecta supplies cobalt owners a good service and i would always use thier product if needed. just hpt can be that much better in supercharged cars. as i feel sc cars are harder to dial in.
If you wanted to go this route, I could shoot Vince an email about hte TB, he might have info on file telling what needs to be done to adjust for this TB, then would fine tune it after flashing the base tune...

If anything, the SC cars might be harder to dial in because the ECM is an older gen, which doesn't monitor as much as the TC's - but even then, EGT (or what ever) readings could all make it look as though your tune is off depending on where the info is being collected in the exhaust (specific to THAT exhaust on THAT car)...
Which is why I have tried to stress that sometimes perceived points of concern, aren't worth sweating over.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
without searching through several pages of posts to quote Mark, I believe he suggested I have four sets of SS/TC wheels...
Which is REALLY close to being correct.

My summers are in the garage, my winters are on the car, and the extras are in the house.

I used to have six SS/SC wheels, but I'm back down to two ~ which I really need to get the DR's pulled off of, and put onto SS/TC wheels (see sig below).
I am really interested in having another set of TC wheels
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 PM

o trust me my right foot isnt sweating lol, the car is running fairly strong lately. just small amount of misfires are concerning me. however that could be the quality of our winter gas. maybe shoot vince a pm about the TB. see what he says, he would know more then us. then i can go from there. i know jon raised some concerns about the tune with it on. so i figured i would ask before i just slap it on.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM

btw i have found these last 2 days on css.net very refreshing. specially the calgary thread. i hope this is a trend for the future. i am so tired of the bullshit. thank you everyone.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 PM

btw i have found these last 2 days on css.net very refreshing. specially the calgary thread. i hope this is a trend for the future. i am so tired of the bullshit. thank you everyone.
Ya for sure me too. I'm usually always on CSS.net at work but I just haven't checked out this thread lately. I also use forums to learn not to make fun of people and be a dick.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 PM

for the most part the people who are posting at the moment here are very much the same way. respect is the key word. if you go into a thread with respect, you get respect in return. if you come into a thread like douche, you get treated like your douche. words of advice for anyone who has tried in the past or in the future.

i have always been willing to help, if a person shows respect.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 PM

for the most part the people who are posting at the moment here are very much the same way. respect is the key word. if you go into a thread with respect, you get respect in return. if you come into a thread like douche, you get treated like your douche. words of advice for anyone who has tried in the past or in the future.

Yesterday I was the only one who answered a guys question everyone else just made fun of him. Also there are no dumb questions because not everyone knows the same amount about cars
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM

the BS goes in waves;
I've found the key is to be vigilant on not letting yourself get drawn into it...

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread