Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KMO43
Yes but wouldn't the maf already be set up for the tube size the air will just flow past with more velocity? So any mod you do you have to recal the maf?
The reason for the MAF essentially is to tell your computer how much air the engines taking in, you change that amount by swapping the TB you need to adjust your MAF
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM

i appreciate that man thx. i would have to cross the city 2 times to help him. ya it turned out to be a small gathering here. i was surprised. i expected 1 guy but not 3.

no beers needed man i actually dont drink. thx for the offer

@sylver. it took me exactly 10 mins to put the stripe on that truck hahahahaha
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by StruttinSoul
The reason for the MAF essentially is to tell your computer how much air the engines taking in, you change that amount by swapping the TB you need to adjust your MAF
Ya I know what it does but I thought if you had the maf tuned properly for the intake it was installed in as long as you had that intake you wouldn't have to change it. Just my thoughts I haven't started tuning yet
Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
i appreciate that man thx. i would have to cross the city 2 times to help him. ya it turned out to be a small gathering here. i was surprised. i expected 1 guy but not 3.

no beers needed man i actually dont drink. thx for the offer

@sylver. it took me exactly 10 mins to put the stripe on that truck hahahahaha
Ya I work way down south and live up north so not a big deal for me to go there
Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 PM

I got my 3mar maps but still no hp tuners need it for tomorrow!! Or I'm SOL this weekend
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Ya I know what it does but I thought if you had the maf tuned properly for the intake it was installed in as long as you had that intake you wouldn't have to change it. Just my thoughts I haven't started tuning yet
A LS4 TB is bigger then a LSJ TB so you're letting a lot more air into the engine, you could have a 5" wide intake but the TB is still going to be the bottle neck, so by increasing the bottle neck your increasing the amount of air that can get in so you have to tell the computer to expect that.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 PM

like it is considerably bigger, like even bigger then a 3 inch intake. if you dont tell the computer to expect that much of increase in air volume entering the system, it will run like extreme crap. it will misfire like crazy. its too my understanding that the ls4 is fairly difficult to tune into a happy zone. also lsj's are fairly touchy to tune anyways. i feel it is not as consistant as a lnf.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

General consensus in the tuning world is LNF is one of the harder cobalts to tune from scratch. LSJs have a lot less tables to touch. Tuning for the LS4 TB isn't that difficult if you know which ETC Area Scale is better which is around 4500 and tuning the MAF is easy.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Yea I know it's bigger just thought you'd have to tell the ecu how much bigger didn't know you had to redo the maf. I've heard of ppl running the le5 tb on a lnf but heard its hard to tune for
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Are you planning on tuning yourself this weekend? If so I'd really suggest you read up some more before attempting it and screwing up your car.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 AM

Are you planning on tuning yourself this weekend? If so I'd really suggest you read up some more before attempting it and screwing up your car.
Yes I know what my tune is I have guidelines I'm just learning but I'll take baby steps. I'm working off of 4 different tunes and my maf is so far out I can't believe it runs
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 AM

General consensus in the tuning world is LNF is one of the harder cobalts to tune from scratch. LSJs have a lot less tables to touch. Tuning for the LS4 TB isn't that difficult if you know which ETC Area Scale is better which is around 4500 and tuning the MAF is easy.
I'm not tuning from scratch. I can only improve my tune
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM

sorry i am not disagreeing with you greg but i have heard so many people attempt and fail to tune the ls4. it is a very tricky and touchy device to my understanding. like everything else tho once you found your baseline happy zone then you can dial it in. i agree the lnf has more to set up, but once again once you found the happy zone then you can apply that to almost every lnf. the sc is a dinosaur, like jonathan said it has a older operating system. so there is less set up however with so many varieties of setups it makes it difficult to dial in. i am not one to believe the gm/trifecta mentality that you can through a gmstg2 tune on a modded sc and it will work on all the same way.

just to explain myself a lil without ruffling feathers. if you take jon and my setups. we essentially are running similar equipment. biggest difference being i am 2.7 ad he is 2.9 and injector size. we are running similar mods(except manufactors). i truely believe if we both got tuned by the same person that our tunes would be completely different. not for the obvious reason of different pulley and injector size. just for the reason that we run different manufactors. just to explain a lil bit more. he has a raw 3 intake and i run a zzp 3 inch intake. your all thinking intake isnt gonna matter. but it does, my maf is pretty much at the entrance right by the filter. his is more towards the factory location. the end result is i am running richer.

i find the lnf is more forgiving to that stuff. when you look at the dyno sheets you will see the lnf's with similar type set ups/with different manufactors all clumped into a group. when you look at the m62 group they scattered everywhere. lets just say jon and i had the exact same setup he got tune by reputable tuner A and i got tuned by reptuable tuner B, we could end up a easy 20hp different. you dont see that as much in the lnf. thats why i say they are consistant.

i maybe wrong or way off bases and if i am please go on and disagree. however i just state what i see. being on the scene since 07/08 i have seen alot. i also just want to say 1 last thing. you see alot more lsj's blown up then lnf's. that is not because they are a weaker motor(we all know niether motor is weak), most because of malfunction of aftermarket parts and tune. tune being the key word there.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM

You would think that with close to same setups you would have a close hp tune but ya everything can be different on an engine vs another engine
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM

So I played some vids last night and met a "tuner" his theory is to run learner 13.5ish with very little timing 5' i told him the LNF runs best at 12.8 and he said that was rich
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM

i smell a clutch in my near future
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM

i smell a clutch in my near future
which one i have a aluminum flywheel ans a zzp stage 4 if u wanna try it out
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM

I have an lnf clutch with 20k on it I'll give u
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM

i am gonna grab the gmpp from crate engine. thx for the offer. its just a item like a clutch i prefer to buy brand new. the gmpp package is a great buy for what you get. also on a related note, i dont really depend on my car for every day use. so if it goes i am never in a panic to get it running.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
sorry guys for going silent. we had a small unplanned meet. lol i posted something about smoked meat and they all showed up hahahahahha. dogsled performance and custom was open for business today for sure. thx all of you for dropping by it was good to see you all again. i really appreciate you all taking some parts with you too. i am so tired of looking at them. needless to say it was a good day. it felt like old times with old friends.

ps happiness is having 4 very different set up lsj's in the shop.
sweet.

you know Mark, the worst part of working in HR, is not being able to on occasion pop into your shop

Sure I'm in no rush until summer. Ya speed channel sold me on the cobalt but I didn't see that one.
cool;
my thursday and friday evenings are generally stacked...

Last edited by soundjunky; 01-24-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
i am gonna grab the gmpp from crate engine. thx for the offer. its just a item like a clutch i prefer to buy brand new. the gmpp package is a great buy for what you get. also on a related note, i dont really depend on my car for every day use. so if it goes i am never in a panic to get it running.
I would strongly discourage you from running a fidanza, or any aluminum flywheel.
I lucked out that when mine went, it didn't wreck my transmission, but others (some on this site) have not been so fortunate.
I am not a strong supporter of steel flywheels ~ even if it's a lightened steel flywheel.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM

ya i miss having you around too.always good times when you pop over to the shop.

anyways there is a lil story to the smell of clutch. lol if you all remember tyler with white ford and dodge trucks. he has his ford out this morn. its a monster of a powerstroke. he calls me out on a lil race we been hashing out for the last year. hahahahahaha so i said sure im in. we creep on to 106 and get side by side. we both stomp a mud hole in the pedal. well i got zero traction so im roasting in 3rd side by side him. he's freaking laughing so hard he's crying but he couldnt believe how hard the car was going. we pull over and all you can smell is my clutch hahahahahahaha he's like damn i better go get my old mans vette the next time we try this. you would have smoked me.

i will probally just get my flywheel machined.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
I would strongly discourage you from running a fidanza, or any aluminum flywheel.
I lucked out that when mine went, it didn't wreck my transmission, but others (some on this site) have not been so fortunate.
I am not a strong supporter of steel flywheels ~ even if it's a lightened steel flywheel.
Ya you broke one on a Cavalier? I've ha no problems in 2 years so far
Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM

ya i miss having you around too.always good times when you pop over to the shop.

anyways there is a lil story to the smell of clutch. lol if you all remember tyler with white ford and dodge trucks. he has his ford out this morn. its a monster of a powerstroke. he calls me out on a lil race we been hashing out for the last year. hahahahahaha so i said sure im in. we creep on to 106 and get side by side. we both stomp a mud hole in the pedal. well i got zero traction so im roasting in 3rd side by side him. he's freaking laughing so hard he's crying but he couldnt believe how hard the car was going. we pull over and all you can smell is my clutch hahahahahahaha he's like damn i better go get my old mans vette the next time we try this. you would have smoked me.

i will probally just get my flywheel machined.
I would spin my clutch half throttle at highway speeds so I went with the stage 4
Old 01-24-2014, 12:54 PM

lol ya i am actually really easy on clutches. i havent had the amount of power in the past to simply glaze it up with power. since i did the ac delete, and 3 inch air/exhuast the car woke right the F up.

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread