Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol trust me there is a fountain of info in mr pickles!!!!!!!! lol his exp. is very much needed... as a matter of fact you 2 together, would almost be deadly together... death load of info............. ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

oh god here come the math formulas that i dont understand hahah
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
@ CalgaryBalt

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
that would be kris's ss/na, also stryderdawg ss/na, and superman is auto 2.2... it is hard to remember who has what when you dont come on all the time buddy.... we miss you here!!!!!!!!!
Dude, I'm always here, I just don't post up unless I have something to say. I rarely miss a beat on this thread, I do tend to forget stuff though.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

So I am On hold with GM customer service trying to get them to replace my clutch under warranty haha
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with that.

Wearable item comes to mind as well as they can tell if you've abused the clutch or flywheel by heat scoring
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Ya thats what they said, kinda sucks as its still a powertrain item. But they have agreed to give me a discounted labour rate and if i want to go with a stock clutch they will give me a "little over cost" on that part
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Has anybody taken apart headlights before? Cuz I am stuck I hate the housing that my retros are in right now and I want to switch the backing with another set that I have, I just cant get those three peices that hold on the center reflector and i am afraid of breaking it.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 PM

you just love the facepalm... haha no words can express utter disgust and dissappointment like a facepalm So I just got my STS in the mail the other day, probably won't put it in till the spring though
Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by CalgaryBalt
Has anybody taken apart headlights before? Cuz I am stuck I hate the housing that my retros are in right now and I want to switch the backing with another set that I have, I just cant get those three peices that hold on the center reflector and i am afraid of breaking it.
to get it apart requires heating the selant, remove all wiring and bulbs that u can, preheat oven to 200 and bake the housing for 5-10 min. then remove and pull apart, will take a bit of effort.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM

ya i got the mod done wow aj(boosted-ss/sc) was a fraking animal lol he had all of them done in like 5 min they look awesome now to get the rest of the red lights in and my headlights will be done

also good seeing you last night jessie i kept trying to roll you lol
Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
Dude, I'm always here, I just don't post up unless I have something to say. I rarely miss a beat on this thread, I do tend to forget stuff though.
lol ya i figured as much and it is also easy to forget a guy like graham lol, kidding.... maybe more like trying to forget him lol... still kidding!!!!!!!!!!!! well to update all about myself... wideband is at the border, and should be here today or tomorow... i had a issue ordering my dp coz i gave them the wrong postal code on my card.... so that part should be ordered and on its way this week... operation straighting hockey stick tri pod pilar, was a huge bust lol!!!!!!! the pod met a very bad accident, and its replacement will be coming shortly... jonathan i plan on doing that plug thing but maybe next month.... we will see...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM

@ jrmotosport

I saw you yesterday, but figured tapping on the horn would have freaked out the guy stopped infront of me...

just saying!

@ CalgaryBalt

good luck on the warranty ~ you made me laugh!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM

ya his best bet is to grab a dual friction clutch from centerforce, and go get it installed.... ya i waved at you jonathan. lol i am sure the guy behind me was like ok ok lets go lol... the clutch only costed me 200 from mopac for my sunfire, and another 300 later it was in my car.... and man it really helped out in that car.... lol
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by victoryredturbalt
to get it apart requires heating the selant, remove all wiring and bulbs that u can, preheat oven to 200 and bake the housing for 5-10 min. then remove and pull apart, will take a bit of effort.
Ive already done all that I have 2 sets completely gutted in my house right now. I want to take out the reflector piece that the main headlight bulb shines into
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

I am probably going to get the Exedy stage two clutch and Lightweight aluminum flywheel, I found a guy selling his flywheel with only 5000miles before he wrecked his car. and the clutch will cost me around $300 through Innovative.

and then was quoted 8 hrs for install so at $85pr/hr so around $680 for the install. totall cost should be around 1100+tax

also at the same time Im going to get my tranny mounts put in, since that would probably be an ideal situation
Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kissrocker52
ya i got the mod done wow aj(boosted-ss/sc) was a fraking animal lol he had all of them done in like 5 min they look awesome now to get the rest of the red lights in and my headlights will be done

also good seeing you last night jessie i kept trying to roll you lol
Yah I know lol, appearance first for me then performance then I'll get somewhat close to you guys. Two red halos beside me can't wait until I get mine lol
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM

ya his best bet is to grab a dual friction clutch from centerforce, and go get it installed....
... the clutch only costed me 200 from mopac for my sunfire, and another 300 later it was in my car.... and man it really helped out in that car.... lol
some people are strongly against the Centerforce dual friction in FWD cars, it seems that on average they have a very short lifespan.
That being said, I have one in my GA - have put a good number of miles on it without any issue...

One thing that many people overlook when swapping clutches, is replacing the slave;
it might not need it, but when it goes, you are essentially doing another clutch job to change it out - so it's a prudent preventative measure.

Originally Posted by CalgaryBalt
Ive already done all that I have 2 sets completely gutted in my house right now. I want to take out the reflector piece that the main headlight bulb shines into
oh!!!

you mean the part which uses a #25 torx head screw!?

either way, I'll have a look to try to help out.

I also have an aluminum flywheel, you have to know that there are risks with them - I have read time and again of the hub shearing out of the flywheel...
I'd say do it, but it's a buyer beware scenario...
Essentially the OE steel flywheels (or a lightened steel flywheel) is going to take alot more abuse, and be more reliable.... just figured you'ld like to know.

FYI: An aluminum flywheel does not add any power, it only reduces spinning (look I used a small word!!) weight, and allows your engine to chage RPM's faster (there are pro's & cons to this).
Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM

i bet 90% of those complaints with the centerforce dual friction are a direct result of improper install.... see i actually got 2 put in the sunfire.... first one i was told the flywheel was machined and throwout bearing was replaced.... well long story short they didnt do the work they said they did... as a result very shortly after i needed a new one.... the second one was installed proper and it lasted iirc for over 100 000 km... with very heavy use.... it pays to do the work proper when it comes to clutchs.... make sure your flywheel is either brand new or machined.... and do the slave and throw out bearing... in any case sounds like you got a very high estimate maybe you should check around for a better price..... jeff at minute muffler, right beside mr detail did mine the second time and it was definately worth every penny.... high quality install...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 PM

... jeff at minute muffler, right beside mr detail did mine the second time and it was definately worth every penny.... high quality install...
Does he have good techs there now?

We had recommended a couple people go there for work;
Twice.

The first one went ok, but the price seemed a smidge high...

The second was the last - a friend had a clutch job done there;

Whom ever did the R&R messed up pretty much all the wiring and didn't install the CV's correctly (Jeff said that the seals needed to break in when the guy went back asking about leaking differential fluid) - amazingly somehow the car still was able to run (Fiero btw, so being older the ECM controlled less of the car) - within a week the car had to go to GM because it wouldn't run properly... this is how we heard that the wiring was all messed up. Lets just say Soutgate didn't exactly have a small bill for the guy to diagnose his running issue, and re-wire it after Jeff's shop did the R&R - that car is why I will not recommend anyone go there for mechanical work - but his exhaust work is arguably the best in town.

Jeff is a great guy - so this is not intended in any way to be a knock against him, but he is responsible for who is in his employment (which means knowing the quality of the work of his employees, or at least having someone check in on their work), but hte tipping over point was the one who told this guy that the transmission was leaking becasue the seals needed to be "broken in"... FTL
(After he told that to our friend, the guy came over to our house, my brother crawled under to see the CV wasn't fully engaged - and right there fixed it.)

IMHO 8 hours for R&R seems about right;
and $85/hour seems to be really cheap - last time I checked most of the better shops in town are at or in excess of $115/hr.

Graham, the cost of a clutch job is why I was teasing you into considering a different car - I mean, if you're going to lay down a couple G's, why not have the car go at least a second better in the quarter
Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM

it is very possible that he may have had a crappy tech working on it but i choose my tech lol.... i honestly cant remember his name at the moment lol... yes good point tech is everything however you play that crap shoot everywhere you go dude....
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM

... however you play that crap shoot everywhere you go dude....
I agree with your post 100%

In that case the shop considered the car done, and wouldn't seriously entertain the customers complaints - so the customer ended up with a big bill from Southgate to correct everything done wrong (except for the CV which my brother fixed).

A reputable shop will take the car back and fix it at n/c - this is why I only have one shop right now that I recommend - they're actually about a block from where you work;
LINK
But for exhaust work, they're the first place I recommend.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM

ya i totally agree jeff does the best exhaust work in town... however we have good exp. with calgary exhaust across from chinook... but i am a lil surprise he didnt have a look at it more... it sounds like that might have happened when someone may have considered to quit or something... but usually if that happens jeff would at least look into it a bit more... strange lol anyway the best idea i heard today was for graham to cut his losses and go tc or sc.... that idea always has my vote... you start with more you get more... win win
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM

y...anyway the best idea i heard today was for graham to cut his losses and go tc or sc.... that idea always has my vote... you start with more you get more... win win
BAH-HA-HA!!!

finally someone agrees!

He wouldn't have to upgrade his suspension or brakes, he wouldn't have to buy SS seats... and the list keeps going

but... since I suspect he'll just keep it (and I wouldn't blame him) - I did see something quite cool on a base victory red cobalt last night;

it added side skirts, a rear skirt and this different style front skirt - it looked great in person - the car was a base (no spoiler, no fog lamps) - but I think he had it cut out for either aftermarket, or the GMPP exhaust... either way it was subtle, and kinda made it look SS~ish.

Last edited by soundjunky; 10-06-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM

sorry it is the bottom line boyz!!!!! just sayn.... for all of those who have pipe dreams of monster builds and this and that....

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread