Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldn't call that cheating, i would call that using the tools that i have at my disposal lol
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM

ya im to cheap to pay someone to paint it
Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 AM

i never paid for it either haha
Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by outtamymind
i wouldn't call that cheating, i would call that using the tools that i have at my disposal lol
^^^this

(although, to date, I have pretty much done any painting required...)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 AM

ya i went back and realized you said hookup. my hookup is my brother, he works at a kal tire and he gets **** for factory prices. my tires were 300$ and they normally would be 900$
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple
ya i went back and realized you said hookup. my hookup is my brother, he works at a kal tire and he gets **** for factory prices. my tires were 300$ and they normally would be 900$
That's definately the best part about working there, what store does he work at?

I got my NITTO's for a damn good price when I bought them, it happened to work out right when they offered us a 50% off cost sale for staff
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM

He works at the chinook store
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM

hopefully everyone survives today's commute!

not too pleasant out there...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM

so brutal i had to drive in early to get my estimate done at 830 hopefully i can get the lip kit but he said most likely not and he said they are so behind i may not get my car done for 3 weeks
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kissrocker52
so brutal i had to drive in early to get my estimate done at 830 hopefully i can get the lip kit but he said most likely not and he said they are so behind i may not get my car done for 3 weeks
Get what done - the estimate?

This is where getting multiple quotes comes in handy - often insurance companies will actually want multiple quotes too...

Actually the multiple quote system can work in your advantage, you can get them to all tell you when they would be able to do it, and then tell your insurance company which shop you want to send the car to...

I only have one piece of advice;
Although they can do good work, I had Southgate do similar repairs on my first Grand Am and I was not happy with their work.
A moron in a raised truck with a huge hitch backed into me while waiting at the light @ 90th & Barlow (turning onto southbound Barlow;
They did good work, and used only new GM parts, but they decided to "blend" the paint from the (new) hood ect on the fenders ~ and did zero prep work on the fenders (cars from that time had issues with the original GM applied clear coat/paint peeling, my GA was no exception)... looked like absolute crap.

Their concession, after I complained about it, was to re apply factory pin striping on the fenders... overtop the old pin striping that they painted over (the primer which was peeling, was in tact up to roughly 2-4" below the pin stirping location along the fenders ~ you could clearly see the jagged line of where the original clear coat had peeled up to through the paint) - then they pretty much told me to 'F-O' because they did extra work above and beyond the quote
(I should have taken the money and just did it myself.)

Make sure that you don't have to worry about anyone cutting corners like this ~ if the fenders need any touch up, or if they intend to "blend" ~ make sure they prep, and redo the whole panel....

Just saying.

There's no reason why your car couldn't look brand new when done.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM

sorry to see the car like that kris.... that sux ***** dude....

tjay thats cool, so are you buying marks hptuners for sure? i am fine with letting you experiment on me too...

thx jonathan, i had a great time fri...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM

School sucks so bored
Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 PM

So anyone have knowledge of condo developers here? Particularly Pointe of View (Carlisle Group)? They have a development goin up in the ne advertised cheap ( 2 bed @ 130k).. I'm interested in this as a start and ownin a place for my own. Googled them a bit, but some of the sites that have came up arent so comforting with people bringing up problems they have either heard about or experienced. Just lookin if anyone has any experience or knowledge with this...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM

First off, the NE is typically cheap, it attracts cheaper developers, and it trickles down hill from there...

I understand your situation, but frankly I have long been biased against condos;
typically (the last market peak seemed to be an anomaly) condos are the first to take a hit in value, and generally speaking never appreciate quite the same as single dwellings ~ or even duplex's ect...

I was only able to get into the housing market because I went in 50/50 with my brother in 2004 ~ at the time we each could only get approved for $100k/ea, so he talked with his wife, then we all talked about it - long story short we shared the house that is now mine...

if the price is the whole thing, one cannot argue with buying instead of renting, but when it comes time to sell & move up, it is nice to know you have something... but look at it this way;
lets say your mortgage payments are $1k/m, and 3/4 of that is going towards interest;
would it not almost be more prudent to rent at an amount equivalent to, or below the monthly interest?
~ this means you don't have to worry about property upkeep/maintenance, and you also don't have to worry about property tax...

I personally do not care for the north end of calgary;
  • the north of calgary is much windier than the south, and sees worse weather than the south...
  • the NE is known for higher crime associated with lower income...
  • the NW is nicer than the NE, but that brings us back to the first point...
I pretty much grew up in Midnapore - and liked having the pathway system & fish creek at the end of the block - something the north does not have...

I now live in Riverbend, and if I want, I can hop on my bicycle and be at my old house within an hour - purely sticking to the pathway system, and then biking into Midnapore...

You will find that the lower priced housing does also cut corners on Quality with things like sound insulation, and finishing... although I cannot specifically speak to the Pointe Of View developments... but I'd suggest as in every faction of life, you get what you pay for;

Poor Experience with Point of View - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Pretty damning first post...

Pointe of View Developments - beyond.ca car forums community for automotive enthusiasts
Originally Posted by beyond
in the industry they're known as the cardboard condo kings

IMO they really are the cheapest of the cheap. In new home construction you get what you pay for.

All that being said, they do fit a niche for cheap condos but there are also much better builders out there in that niche.
My realtor tells me that their quality isn't the greatest, but that's what you pay for.
probably the worst condo builder in calgary...ask anyone in the industry and the first bit of advice they give you is to stay away from Pointe of View.
point of poo, they have class action lawsuits against them. their stuff looks nice at first, but they cut way too many corners and youll probably regret it. coworker bought one brand new about a year ago, says he can hear the guy above him get up to take a leak in the night. ive heard lots of bad experiences. most people into real estate know to stay away from them.
Haha, I've worked on lots of them.
I remember when the one downtown got so crooked the elevator couldn't go all the way up....
The one in county hills, they built the elevator shaft 6" too shall (both depth and width), and they couldn't fit the elevator in. That was 2 weeks of jackhammering the elevator shaft out of an almost finished building...

The one in mackenzie town by the walmart, they had the first 2 floors drywalled before the roof was on. It rained HARD, and there was water coming through the roof in every room, so they just brought heaters out to try and dry it out, never pulled the drywall down or anything, I'd be too afraid of future mold problems in that building, etc.

I would NEVER live in one, not on my life.
They are the cheapest of the cheapest of the cheap, and even then, they are overpriced
That last one is brutal... first hand experience from a sub-contractor ~ wow

What's up, your rental coming up to term?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM

No i'm renting right now and pay 600/mth, includes utilities and cable and internet, and the pricing of the condo just had me intrigued, and i do agree with your points on the north...

Just came across this and i was interested cause i would much rather own and be building equity than have to rent... Needless to say some of the points made that i've found are a huge turn off
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM

generally speaking condos have always been at the lowest point on the whole "home equity" line of things...

but it really comes down to what you are looking for ect...
if the mortgage is a good rate that you are able to actually pay off at any accelerated rate, then maybe it's a good move for you...

but like I alluded to, I've been in your situation, I was renting a place @ $700/month +costs (unit in a four-plex, initially I had two other room mates, one of which was my aforementioned brother)... it was down right frightening to think of how much was spent on rent that was virtually "lost"... but someone in your shoes often doesn't consider maintenance costs or taxes...

speaking of which... if any of you know someone looking for a room mate situation maybe you could pass this along?

room mate - riverbend

Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Ya i just think of all the money that is lost through renting and its disturbing... and ya i would have to look into what mortgage rates are (though they say bi-weekly payments of 225 or so, idk what it all includes), what taxes are, condo fees and whats included in condo fees.. I'm looking at it if it comes down to like 600/mth for the mortgage as they say, i shouldnt have a problem affording it, as long as i get someone to rent the other room from me. But then again i am still young and dont know all that much, although i try...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kasper_17
Ya i just think of all the money that is lost through renting and its disturbing... and ya i would have to look into what mortgage rates are (though they say bi-weekly payments of 225 or so, idk what it all includes), what taxes are, condo fees and whats included in condo fees.. I'm looking at it if it comes down to like 600/mth for the mortgage as they say, i shouldnt have a problem affording it, as long as i get someone to rent the other room from me. But then again i am still young and dont know all that much, although i try...
crap... I forgot about condo fees...
(that is a whole gammit that I am glad i haven't dealt with ` I only hear the negatives of condo boards/fees ect)

so you would be looking at;

[monthly * (mortgage payments + condo fees + utilities + amenities)] + (yearly property tax)

I haven't a clue how property tax applies to multi-living properties though...

When calculating your mortgage, you can have the property tax bundled into it, but that will affect your monthly payment... and when getting approved for a conventional mortgage you are only permitted a rate based on a percentage of your monthly income...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kasper_17
So anyone have knowledge of condo developers here? Particularly Pointe of View (Carlisle Group)? They have a development goin up in the ne advertised cheap ( 2 bed @ 130k).. I'm interested in this as a start and ownin a place for my own. Googled them a bit, but some of the sites that have came up arent so comforting with people bringing up problems they have either heard about or experienced. Just lookin if anyone has any experience or knowledge with this...
Ive done work for them before, they are not a bad builder. and in general most of there devolopements go up in value by 10-30% in the first 3yrs so once they are done your 130k condo could be worth 150-170k but thats just from my experience.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

@ calgarybalt

regarding our discussion earlier here's a good candidate;

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Supercharged - Edmonton Cars For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

I like blue
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

I def like that one!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Any of you guys driving down macleod trail south at glenmore about half an hour ago? I saw a yellow Balt with a high rise and tinted front windows about 50%
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

hmmm Not I.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CalgaryBalt
hmmm Not I.
you looking for a car
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluecobalt99
you looking for a car
no he isn't... but some one might be

Did I say I like blue??

My favorite colour that the the SS's ever could come with is this one;

someone needs to put air in their tires!

2005-2006.5 "Arrival Blue"

Favorite colours in order (from what I've seen):
  1. Arrival Blue
  2. Rally Yellow / Laser Blue (tied)
  3. Summit White
  4. Sport Red Tintcoat / Crystal Red Tintcoat
  5. Silver Ice Metallic / Ultra Silver Metallic
  6. Imperial Blue Metallic

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread