Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lookin good matt.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks, long way to go yet. but she will come together
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM

they always do don't they. how's aussie land?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
they always do don't they. how's aussie land?
great, 5 day long weekend coming up so iwll get some rock gaurd and fix up the wheel wells on the pajero, along wiht finish the roof rack and start to build a rear cargo system material permitting, aka if it shows by thursday. then i will be making good progress on the wagon.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM

sounds like its coming along nicely. i can't wait till i can start customizing my cobalt again. i got sooo many idea's on what to do with it (namely interior). first got to fix the things that are breaking haha
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM

sounds like its coming along nicely. i can't wait till i can start customizing my cobalt again. i got sooo many idea's on what to do with it (namely interior). first got to fix the things that are breaking haha
same was unfer the wagon tonight, needs mew control arm bushings top and bottom, new top and bottom ball joints, and new cv boots. but at least when I do one it makes the rest super easy. LOL
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM

very true, right now on my list is

passenger front CAB, intake camshaft phase solenoid, driver rear stud, driver rear caliper, new HID's, fix and exhaust leak, which i'm thinking i'm gonna have to get a lower profile resonator as the GMPP gets alot of rubbing from parking lots and speed bumps. thats about all i can think of at the moment.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very true, right now on my list is

passenger front CAB, intake camshaft phase solenoid, driver rear stud, driver rear caliper, new HID's, fix and exhaust leak, which i'm thinking i'm gonna have to get a lower profile resonator as the GMPP gets alot of rubbing from parking lots and speed bumps. thats about all i can think of at the moment.
Strange you're having troubles with your resonator rubbing. I was on sportlines and never had an issue with mine rubbing...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by thedude411
Hit the junk yards up and get the ss leather interior. Check car-parts.com or something to find something close. There are lots of wreckers around and there are quite a few totaled sc's in them. maybe ull find recaros
Not a huge fan of leather, only seats I'd take are the Recaros or LNF seats, both are long shots to find.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Out of provinces can be done anywhere as long as they are certified. Out of country I believe Canadian tire is the only place I know of that is certified IIRC
canadian tire = asking to get screwed.

I have heard wayy too many stories to ever even consider recommending crappy-tire;
I have understood that CT's in small towns, are the only ones in which the servie departments can be trusted (often because they have less competition, and don't need (or feel the need) to pull shady practices to pad their bottom line...

for both out of province & out of country inspections I'd reccomend a shop called "Bonivista Auto Service" - they used to be in the gas station in the bonivista mall parking lot, but are now in the foothills industrial not too far from Marks (jrmotor) shop;
they are honest, and every person I've sent there has thanked me for the recommendation.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM

again as i recall canadian tire is the only company that can legally do out of country's as they hold a contract with the gov't or some bullshit like that. out of provinces can be done by anyone qualified to do them. and i would in no way recommend canadian tire to anyone unless it was an emergency.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

again as i recall canadian tire is the only company that can legally do out of country's as they hold a contract with the gov't or some bullshit like that. ...
They both work under the same system;
In order for a shop to do either an out of province, or an out of contry inspection, they have to hold a special certificate that allows them to do it;
Whom ever told you that CT had a contract... was feeding you absolute hogwash.
All you do is phone around and ask if they can do an out of country.

I would know who can do this becasue my GA is a California car - which they did the inspection on.

Bonivista auto = ftmwf.

Bonavista Truck and Auto

Very reasonable, very honest;
IMHO, there's not much more you can ask for in a shop.

P.S. This is also the shop that did the out of province on my '70 when I moved back here...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM

when did you have your GA inspected and did you purchase it from down in the states or from another province. and go and ask any dealer that is authorized for out of provinces they will all say the same thing that the only company authorized to perform out of country inspections is canadian tire.

go to this website and select the city, the only place other then canadian tire is a toyota dealership for importing into canada.

http://www.riv.ca/RIVInspection.aspx

and to clarify this is for out of country not out of province inspections. and even for out of province not just any journeyman can do them, they need to take a course and have a certificate stating that they are able to properly perform the inspection. any journeyman mechanic can however perform an insurance safety inspection.

Last edited by outtamymind; 04-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM

anyone have any ideas where to look for a place to rent other than kijiji?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM

rentfast.ca
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM

when did you have your GA inspected and did you purchase it from down in the states or from another province. and go and ask any dealer that is authorized for out of provinces they will all say the same thing that the only company authorized to perform out of country inspections is canadian tire.
I purchased it in Fresno California, in April 2007;
I then drove it across the border, first getting my state-side paperwork, then the Canadian paperwork - which Bonivista Auto used when completing the inspection.

IIRC just about every dealer can do them as well;
When our dollar first hit parity a couple years ago, there was an influx of high end vehicles like Corvettes, and I recall hearing about several Corvettes getting changes at Jack Carter so that they would pas the out of country inspection*.

*= vehicles less than (iirc)fifteen years old, are subject to requirement of being updated to Canadian standards; vehicles older than fifteen years old, are not subject to this;
for example, 99.9% of the JDM cars imported into Canada do not have a clutch safety - this is because of the grandfather law that exempts older cars from having to have the required Canadian equipment installed.
There are some vehicles which can be imported without having all required Canadian equiment installed, which are less than fiften years old, but you need to look on the gov't of Canada website to find the list of cars which cannot be imported;
for a number of years the late model GTO (aka: Holden Monaro) was not able to be imported into Canada becasue of the car having different crash standards, which failed it from being certifiable in Canada - iirc it had to do with the gas tank mounting location.

I do not know what to say about the link you posted, but I assure you, you are incorrect about whom precisely can do an out of country.

Last edited by soundjunky; 04-18-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

jon did you see my question about those rims and slicks? did u want to sell them?( if your not going to track with car thought you may want to part with them) If nto i will order some up
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluecobalt99
jon did you see my question about those rims and slicks? did u want to sell them?( if your not going to track with car thought you may want to part with them) If nto i will order some up
I guess I would consider it...

I would insist that you come look at them before even offering to buy them that way you don't get any surprises...

rentfast.ca
damn thats a good site. but it doesnt cover the area im moving to. i wish that site covered the red deer area.

^^^just asking the obvious... you checked craigslist too right?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
^^^just asking the obvious... you checked craigslist too right?
i have now
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
I purchased it in Fresno California, in April 2007;
I then drove it across the border, first getting my state-side paperwork, then the Canadian paperwork - which Bonivista Auto used when completing the inspection.

IIRC just about every dealer can do them as well;
When our dollar first hit parity a couple years ago, there was an influx of high end vehicles like Corvettes, and I recall hearing about several Corvettes getting changes at Jack Carter so that they would pas the out of country inspection*.

*= vehicles less than (iirc)fifteen years old, are subject to requirement of being updated to Canadian standards; vehicles older than fifteen years old, are not subject to this;
for example, 99.9% of the JDM cars imported into Canada do not have a clutch safety - this is because of the grandfather law that exempts older cars from having to have the required Canadian equipment installed.
There are some vehicles which can be imported without having all required Canadian equiment installed, which are less than fiften years old, but you need to look on the gov't of Canada website to find the list of cars which cannot be imported;
for a number of years the late model GTO (aka: Holden Monaro) was not able to be imported into Canada becasue of the car having different crash standards, which failed it from being certifiable in Canada - iirc it had to do with the gas tank mounting location.

I do not know what to say about the link you posted, but I assure you, you are incorrect about whom precisely can do an out of country.
considering that is the official website for the importing and exporting laws and requirements.

also anyone can do the repairs to have the vehicles meet the requirements for the inspection. we did them all the time at **** and then would send it to canadian tire for the out of country.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM

also anyone can do the repairs to have the vehicles meet the requirements for the inspection. we did them all the time at **** and then would send it to canadian tire for the out of country.
that might be...
I had understood that the certification to allow a shop is quite a hefty (yearly) certificate - so understandable many of hte small shops do not offer it;
and who knows, maybe BA didn't renew their certificate - but I'd strongly encourage anyone who is in need of one to phone them up to check before getting screwed over by a crappy-tire...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM

agreed on that, thats the only time we would ever tell people to go to them, was because they had to. we fixed soo many crappy tire specials it wasn't even funny.

and yes its not an easy thing to obtain, out of province certificates are taken per technician and are held with the tech rather then the shop as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

ladies ladies, calm down! lol it's nothing to get upset about. if either of you need a shoulder to cry on don't come to me!

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread