Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianCobalt
Honestly not too bad. I've definitely done worse. I didn't have any penetrating oil/impact gun/couldn't fit breaker bar so it was just really an arm workout removing the rusted/dirty nuts off the links on 2 of the bolts. The other 2 nuts came off fine. I was amazed how hot the bolts/nuts were after removal. Lots of friction haha.

If you want to do yours I'd be more than glad to give you a hand.

Joel
possibly in a few weeks or a month. i need to get paid a few times so i can afford to fix my car changing the oil damn near bankrupted me this week
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Acey
I don't have it back yet, they still have it... just went to get a few things out of the car and I'm like hmmm why is their oil on my fenders. I'd hope they clean it before they give it back to me.
Just make sure to tell your service advisor (or the shop foreman) that you want the engine bay cleaned up before you pick up the car - they can do that in house, so it should be really a no biggie.

But it does bring up a question... would it really be a good idea to add 80 whp to an engine whose valvetrain failed in 2 places simultaneously after only 65,000 km. I'm thinking not.
bah! ~ our valvetrain are the same, I say if you planned on boosting, don't let this set you back.

We'll see how it goes. She said they were looking for the part; as I expected, LE5 valves don't break very often. Why'd they even bother with variable timing for this motor. Low end torque, I think I read. What a joke, a stock LE5 falls flat on its face until 5k rpm.
You might be surprised what Vince told me about the LE5's, a Trifecta tune sounds like it can make a big difference (yup, he even sold me on it!)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
le5's are horribly tuned stock, there is alot of room for huge gains even with a conservative tune
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM

How much hp you think a tune would give us?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM

depends how aggressive you want it. on average its about 15hp, i've heard as high as 25hp. all cars are differen't so it really depends on how your car wants to take to the tune and any mods.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Ya I might get a cai and maybe a shorty or midlength header. I need a new muffler too
Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple
thats why shorty headers are good for us, until we boost
If your having problems with low end torque the last thing you want is a shorty.

If your looking for an exhaust that isn't loud, the SS/TC exhaust is a full 2.5" Mandrel bent and the SS/SC stock one is a 2.5" Mandrel that bends down to 2.25 in a couple places. Great flow with good sound still. I'm sure you could find one stupid cheap.

Originally Posted by thedude411
possibly in a few weeks or a month. i need to get paid a few times so i can afford to fix my car changing the oil damn near bankrupted me this week
That sucks man, job soon at least eh haha. What oil do you use? Mobil 1?

Joel
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM

lol hey guys lets not fight over the lip.... how about we wait to make sure i decide to get the car back or not....

also i wanted to mention this coz of a previous conversation..... i have too many stories of a woman in my car hahahahaha.... none are airable here on this site.... so jonathan i think we need to hook you up so you dont feel so left out. hahahahaah but maybe some of the best stories are of her daughter.... like the time on memorial when i just got my car back before it eventually died..... i stomped a second gear pull for about 3 seconds.... in those 3 seconds she prayed to god and cried mamma, i dont want to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol meanwhile i went from 10 km/hr to 50 km/hr and i was laughing so hard....ella thought it was funny too, after she stopped laughing and looked at mia and said he never even went over the speed limit.... she was so embaresed.... hell tho when i stomped a second gear pull the car would scream so loud it hurt my ears....
Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
le5's are horribly tuned stock, there is alot of room for huge gains even with a conservative tune
that's one way of putting what Vince told me...

How much hp you think a tune would give us?
Vince told me that GM has one control on there, that when turned off, it increased torque by 20lb-ft in the lower rpm's ~ that one control doesn't affect peak numbers, so much as it drastically improves throttle response, and put's that extra torque on tap;
think of it this way - it's the torque that gets the car moving...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
...also i wanted to mention this coz of a previous conversation..... i have too many stories of a woman in my car hahahahaha.... none are airable here on this site.... so jonathan i think we need to hook you up so you dont feel so left out. hahahahaah
Man, I was just messing around... I am not, and have never been the kind of person who needed to have a gf;
hermit is a term that just works for me;
Don't get me wrong, (I think) my eye's are open should the right woman come along... but I know what I want, and am both content with where I am in life, as well as with putting any prospective dating life in the hands of a higher power...

Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
...but maybe some of the best stories are of her daughter.... like the time on memorial when i just got my car back before it eventually died..... i stomped a second gear pull for about 3 seconds.... in those 3 seconds she prayed to god and cried mamma, i dont want to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol meanwhile i went from 10 km/hr to 50 km/hr and i was laughing so hard....ella thought it was funny too, after she stopped laughing and looked at mia and said he never even went over the speed limit.... she was so embaresed.... hell tho when i stomped a second gear pull the car would scream so loud it hurt my ears....
ha-ha!!

too funny!

yup, super chargers are different than turbo for sure;
with both super charged, and naturally aspirated, any power is pretty much on tap at any time ~ but with a turbo, it's more of a gradual build up...

Good story Mark! ~ I'm confident you'll get another SS/SC when the time comes... and you have a partner in crime to go pick it up (should the need be there).
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM

well thats all i have is stories now..... like the time i kicked the snot out a a lambo.... hahahahah jks

offer will be accepted when the time comes jon
Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by thedude411
murray's... u gotta got to davis. i know u limped it in but damn... iirc kaspers dad is the service manager there or something? maybe he can help u out if murrays doesn't cooperate
Ya you are correct, I would think everything will be fine in the end though. They will know what they are doin... Or else someone will be getting I'm some trouble lol
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM

In* dam auto guessing on my phone
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Ya so if I got tunes right now I could expect better response down low. And with a cai and header maybe and extra 30 hp with a tune?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

what kind of header? I don't know if I got the extruded and honed gmpp one but I think I seen people using the lsj header on 2.4's. I'll be taking it off sometime when I'm home also with the downpipe
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
that's one way of putting what Vince told me...

Vince told me that GM has one control on there, that when turned off, it increased torque by 20lb-ft in the lower rpm's ~ that one control doesn't affect peak numbers, so much as it drastically improves throttle response, and put's that extra torque on tap;
think of it this way - it's the torque that gets the car moving...
If that tq is readily available, why'd GM rob us of it? Reliability? Wanted to make sure the LSJ was still notably quicker to avoid cannibalizing sales?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sylver01
what kind of header? I don't know if I got the extruded and honed gmpp one but I think I seen people using the lsj header on 2.4's. I'll be taking it off sometime when I'm home also with the downpipe
the LE5 and LSJ use the same stock exhaust manifold

If that tq is readily available, why'd GM rob us of it? Reliability? Wanted to make sure the LSJ was still notably quicker to avoid cannibalizing sales?
pretty much, it sucks that they did this, they also tune them not for maximum performance but for emissions as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Ya so if I got tunes right now I could expect better response down low. And with a cai and header maybe and extra 30 hp with a tune?
throwing out theoretical hp gains is rather a moot point;
as long as you do your homework, you will see gains - how much at peak, is really a question best left for someone with a similar car, who did before & after dynos.

Were I in your shoes, I'd look at intake, exhaust, and tune, and then probably leave it as is...

With all of the fun that both Kris & Graham had last year, neither of them did any tuning...

but seriously, from what Vince explained to me, he would have sold me on it, had I a 2.2 or 2.4l car...

I would surmise, as Steve said, it's mostly about emissions;
runs leaner = runs hotter
more restrictive exhaust = runs hotter
runs hotter = less unspent fuel = better emissions

Thank goodness we don't have crazy emissions inspections like they have in many of the states...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM

So anyone else see the full hot pink cobalt around town? Just saw it like ten mins ago driving south on edmonton trail by 19 st.. I can't be the only one to see it, it's a dam pink cobalt!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by kasper_17
So anyone else see the full hot pink cobalt around town? Just saw it like ten mins ago driving south on edmonton trail by 19 st.. I can't be the only one to see it, it's a dam pink cobalt!
what kind of model was it?

white to pink wouldn't be tough, but any darker colour as the base, would mean it would be a bigger job...

I have not heard of it.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM

alberta plates?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Didn't catch what plates they were... I was driving the opposite direction. it was just a base model, definitely not an ss
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM

damn, i got no way to pay this guy, looks like ill have to pass on these. wish i was 18 and had a credit card
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

damn, i got no way to pay this guy, looks like ill have to pass on these. wish i was 18 and had a credit card
do you stil want my suspension??
Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM

U do know u can sign a bank account up to paypal right??? U dont need a credit card

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread