Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Calgary - random talk thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecobalt99
I don't like the idea of not being able to get the car fixed without sending data logs back and forth and analyze them, ...
Let's pause for a moment right there;

You are one of few on this site who seemed to have the time & willingness to learn to tune via HPT;
I saw the buy in for the program, cost of credits, and then the learning curve - and with my attempts at tuning OBD1 - I was pretty sure I'd be in for an even more complicated mess with these new cars...

Please note, I never knocked HPT, or having someone who was willing to tune you locally (ect), or if Jon. wanted to go that route.

What both you and Pickles missed out on when the anti-Trifecta (aka: pro-HPT) talk was happening, was the discussion I had with Jon. prior, and the fact that I was never pushing Trifecta, or knocking HPT...

Regarding the back & forth versus real time, I find no qualm with your preference;
but for most people this is really a non-issue;
look at most 'base' tunes to begin with (ZZP or GM Stage) for example;
there's plenty of safety margin to have a 'base' that's safe to drive on, yet has room for improvement.
Also on the 'real time', I can book time with Vince where my customer becomes the priority at that exact point in time and have the next best thing to him physically sitting there...

Before I signed on with Trifecta (and I actually signed on in April fyi), I looked and looked, but NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE was willing or able to due tuning for this crowd;
I knew of (and once even talked to) Pickles, but he has for the most part been MIA (and if you're reading this, that's not a knock against you man - life get's busy);
There's a guy who lives in Edmonton who (last time I checked) was down in Australia... but aside from Mark and that guy that seemed to be it.

I will eventually have a tune, and even though I could find some generic shop, I wasn't happy with that, and preferred to have someone on a ground level to deal with ~ or tune me back to stock at a moment's notice...

ok;

...if there's not enough data there there interpolating to generate the tune instead of doing another data log instantly. There something to be said with having face to face contact with a tuner that knows what's going on and can watch the car and how it's acting with the data logging, ie how it feels etc.
I already touched on this above;
datalogging is datalogging, and the "with a tuner that know's what's going on" is what I was referring to - I just didn't see this.

let me repeat, I was not knocking you, Pickles, or trying to deter Jon. if he wanted to teach himslef HPT...
But the conversation (which I stayed out of btw) was in DIRECT response to him and I talking about Trifecta ~ so in a sense you guys were kinda sticking your noses in, and should in no way take offense to me taking a moment to make a small (hopefully polite) rebuttle.

...Trifecta tunes simply can't offer this jonathon and that is why people don't like them, ...
And this is where the CSS anti-Trifecta jargain starts in...

...he makes sure it is changed for what should be right then sends it to you then data log then change. Much harder process.
So then when you break it down to the most simple of steps;
  • reading what's going on;
  • making changes;
  • re-reading what happens;
  • adjusting to suit
...is dramatically different with HPT & Trifecta because...
The actual tuner is in Washington state?

Because as I see it, the exact same process happens... but you never have to worry about where the tuner is, or if he will return your messages/calls...

Hp tuners and learning how to do it is the best.
Assuming you can afford it, and have the patience, I find absolutely zero problem with this statement - after all, I'm pretty much a one man show on my own cars

I believe the tuner should be in the car monitoring values, listening to car and feeling it. This is something trifecta can't offer. Any average Joe can pickup trifecta, true good tuners are out there. Mark( pickles) is one and there is others
Already touched on this...

At the end of the day it's up to the customer, do your research and go from there.
Agreed - which is also why I try to best equip ANYONE who inquires to me about tuning - I have a 9-5 type job, I do this as a side thing, and to really help out local enthusiasts...

Does vince get tunes back quickly jonathon,
Yes - especially if you book time with him.

does he charge for reviewing each data log
there are no charges for reviewing datalogs, or updates to a cars tune (unless the dealer is worried about his time I guess)...

and what does vince say average time for getting a completely dialed in tune,
it varies depending on the car and modifications, he has ALOT of dyno time into his modifications (you do know that you can actually have him dyno tune you right?)
I have not done enough yet to even give you a good round-about answer.

if u share some of this info you may bring some more people around
If anyone contacts me, I will do my best to promptly and honestly answer questions they might have.
But I'd like to think that I'm not here to convince anyone to get tuned;
I'd prefer to be here for the guys (or gals) who have come to the decision to get a tune, and would like to talk about their options, and take it from there.

Last edited by soundjunky; 09-10-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol one comment starts a discussion! you guys both make some good points. I bought hpt with the idea of tuning my car. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have heard mixed reviews on trifecta tunes and was interested in them on that "Oh so great" dyno day! lol

It just takes me a while to decide what I do with my car as it's my DD and down time on it is not a good thing.

Thanks for the offer Tjay, if I get my crap together with buying this house and getting things organized I'll take you up on that offer. I'm sure that Pickles would offer a few pointers as well
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

If you can jon get it hooked up and I will come down to the dyno with you. I can make safe changes while your on the dyno that won't hurt you. ( give u a couple extra degrees of timing and clean up your afr,s. Let me know time and I will book it in my calendar if your interested
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Jonathon I'm not knocking trifecta and dong want to sound like that v I think he is quite capable of good tunes. I just think there's a big difference between the two. I wish I could have been more available for tuning but by the time I was 100 percent comfortable it was too late as I had a baby and that has consumed my time, that being said I may keep hp tuners and try and help people out if they want now.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

okay. Thanks man! I haven't booked a dyno time due to this house stuff. Might be on the 20th or something like that

On a completely unrelated topic, Have any of you had to work with a guy who was very condescending, Arrogant, ignorrant and who just thinks everyone around him is an idiot?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Yes..... 1 year into my career I had that
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

that sucks. I've been dealing with it for going on 2-3 years now. once a month I have to spend a week with this guy. He has yet to follow the companies rules about remote site working and I think because he's 45ish working with a couple of 20 something guys that he has something to prove. and to boot he's from nova scotia!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
Crap happens - no matter the root cause of the clutch, that's a chance you take on ANY car;
so it costed you $1k to tow home and have fixed...
But you committed to spending (what) twenty on another car???

At the end of the day you bought a used car that had no warranty;
I'd be willing to guess that considering how hard it had (sporadically) been driven versus how hard it would have been driven as a DD to school and back for a year, you would have had nere a hiccup...
Even if you did have a hiccup, odds are that when stacked against payments on a new car amortized over the school year any maintenance would have been far less for the same duration...
Despite learning stick on my 2.4 the clutch wear was almost nothing after 70k; stock rotors also lasted 70k. I really did not drive these cars hard, the LSJ clutch failed while going ~110 in 5th on Deerfoot.

The missing factor in your math is the financial contribution my dad made to the purchase of a new car, because he wants me back in school... which wasn't going to happen as long as I had a Cobalt, be it this one taking all my money, or the 2.4 which I would only have for half the time.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sylver01
okay. Thanks man! I haven't booked a dyno time due to this house stuff. Might be on the 20th or something like that

On a completely unrelated topic, Have any of you had to work with a guy who was very condescending, Arrogant, ignorrant and who just thinks everyone around him is an idiot?
If anyone says no to this second part, u r probably that person lol
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Lol thanks man but I have past and present coworkers that actually enjoy working with me
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jonathon I'm not knocking trifecta and dong want to sound like that v I think he is quite capable of good tunes. I just think there's a big difference between the two.
this is what i was trying to say actually lol, been bad with words lately :S. anyways i've seen some really good trifecta tunes but the process is just a bit longer and face to face is always better then remote.

and not to start anything again but doesn't matter who tunes you whether it be you, your local tuner, vince or some pro. whenever you change something on your car there is potential to blow it up if its not monitored correctly. nothing to do with HPT vs Trifecta. just you were saying that you don't have to worry about that, you always have to worry about running too lean when your tuning your car.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by thedude411
(re Jon.'s Q) If anyone says no to this second part, u r probably that person lol
bah-ha-ha!!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Residental Bish.

Anyone heard from Mark lately? I sent him a PM a couple days ago and got nothing back yet?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:35 PM

he disappears from time to time.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Residental Bish.

Could you or Jonathan call him about when I wrote on your wall pleeeaaassseee
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

want his number?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Residental Bish.

Not you Soundjunky lol
Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Just replaced my cabin air filter. **** it was nasty. And flows soooooooo much better now.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 PM

yea i did mine not to long ago.

springs are on, feels just like it did before, maybe a bit bouncy over big bumps, but it looks 10x better
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

They will settle after a month or so
Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 PM

i need to cut the bump stops still. apparently my brother bottomed them out when he was test driving it
Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM

What springs did u put on?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 PM

ssc/cm
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM

I've heard good things about those springs. R they the ones acey had for sale
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

yea i tried to get them from him but a guy from edmonton bought them.

Quick Reply: Calgary - random talk thread