Complete Cars List your vehicle for sale.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Hot Balt on eBay - Carputer Equipped

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Balt on eBay - Carputer Equipped

For anyone looking to buy a SS/SC balt, this one I found looks pretty cool. Well, at least the whole stereo interface looks very professional. This is definitely a future mod for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...74371561QQrdZ1
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM

A carputer is next on my list after I buy my sub and amp. I ve got the actual computer already, put it together from spare stuff I had laying around, all I need to buy is my 8" lilliput touchscreen and an M2 ITX dc/dc psu. After that, its 300gb. of music and movies at my fingertips in my car, plus wifi, and bluetooth. I m going to buy a spare center dash bezel and mold the monitor into it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by fastfreddy7
A carputer is next on my list after I buy my sub and amp. I ve got the actual computer already, put it together from spare stuff I had laying around, all I need to buy is my 8" lilliput touchscreen and an M2 ITX dc/dc psu. After that, its 300gb. of music and movies at my fingertips in my car, plus wifi, and bluetooth. I m going to buy a spare center dash bezel and mold the monitor into it.
I think you and I are going to be in touch in the future.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Ditto, I have had this in mind since I got the car. I did it to my last car. I plan to use a double din dash kit and attach the LCD frame to it for a clean look. I dont know how much room the stock radio takes up, but im hoping to fit atleast part of the computer in the back (I have a mini-itx PC im going to use). How do you plan to tie into the speakers?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:37 AM

I ve already done most of the research, lots to learn on mp3car.com. I ll be running a 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears, and the sound card on the computer will be connected to the amp via a rca to 3.5mm audio cable. I thought about installing the monitor like that, but I really like the idea of it looking like it was molded in. I also want to put a slot loading cd/dvd drive right under the monitor, and a usb port somehwere out of view on the dash, because the actual computer will be in the spare tire well. Hopefully I ll have all the stuff I need in about 2 months. I ve got to kind of go little bit by little bit, or my wife would get pissed when she realized how much I ve spent.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:39 AM

Do you plan to mold it into the dash or into a double din unit? I dont think you will have room for an 8" if you put it in the stock radio spot (plus room for a slot drive).
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 AM

I ve already done most of the research, lots to learn on mp3car.com. I ll be running a 4 channel amp for the fronts and rears, and the sound card on the computer will be connected to the amp via a rca to 3.5mm audio cable. I thought about installing the monitor like that, but I really like the idea of it looking like it was molded in. I also want to put a slot loading cd/dvd drive right under the monitor, and a usb port somehwere out of view on the dash, because the actual computer will be in the spare tire well. Hopefully I ll have all the stuff I need in about 2 months. I ve got to kind of go little bit by little bit, or my wife would get pissed when she realized how much I ve spent.
Whenever you get a chance, I would appreciate a parts / price list. I know this will be a little time consuming so like I said, whenever you have a chance. Thanks

I also really like that interface that is in the balt on eBay.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 AM

SMART: It'll be molded in, I know there will be a light bit of trimming involved so we ll see, although it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. The slot drive will be right below the screen, and all you will see of the slot drive will be the actual slot that the disc goes into, the rest of it will be mounted in the factory radio location behind the bezel.

LSJ pup: I ll see what I can do, maybe I ll have time tommorrow. It looks like I m going to have to do a write up once I get all the parts.

Heres a quick PS of where the disc load slot would be and what it would look like.
Attached Thumbnails c915_12-copy.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 AM

When it comes to carPcs, there is never a bolt on solution. Prepare to fabricate if you want it to look good. At the very least, look at spending $500 and this would be one with basic functionality (GPS, audio, small hd). Prepare to add on more and more for every feature you want (Bluetooth, wireless, etc). Here is a really rough guestimate price list:
LCD touch screen ($200-300)
Motherboard/processor/ram/hard drive setup ($100-$200, you can spend a ton just on this)
GPS Receiver ($50)
DC-DC Power Supply ($75-100)
Amp for speakers (at least $100 for a good one)

Notice I left out most of the supplies and other computer components you will need. It gets expensive fast, and this is one of those things where once you start you can’t stop. :-P

Also, I plan to try my best to build everything inside a double-din case so I can easily swap it out later on for the stock unit if I wanted to; if you take this route, the biggest screen you can fit is 7”. (Something I didn’t do on my old car and I ended up selling it with the LCD in the dash, making me cry)
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
When it comes to carPcs, there is never a bolt on solution. Prepare to fabricate if you want it to look good. At the very least, look at spending $500 and this would be one with basic functionality (GPS, audio, small hd). Prepare to add on more and more for every feature you want (Bluetooth, wireless, etc). Here is a really rough guestimate price list:
LCD touch screen ($200-300)
Motherboard/processor/ram/hard drive setup ($100-$200, you can spend a ton just on this)
GPS Receiver ($50)
DC-DC Power Supply ($75-100)
Amp for speakers (at least $100 for a good one)

Notice I left out most of the supplies and other computer components you will need. It gets expensive fast, and this is one of those things where once you start you can’t stop. :-P

Also, I plan to try my best to build everything inside a double-din case so I can easily swap it out later on for the stock unit if I wanted to; if you take this route, the biggest screen you can fit is 7”. (Something I didn’t do on my old car and I ended up selling it with the LCD in the dash, making me cry)

Dude, that is chump change IMO for something as in depth as this. I would've thought upwards of $1500 for a system like this. I can get the amplifier dirt cheap do to my corporate discounts so that is no problem. As for the bluetooth and GPS, I would've thought those were going to be the expensive part. Guess not.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 AM

Sorry, I always thought it was alot more then buying a new radio. Then again, I never really priced one to an indash GPS unit becuase im too poor. Look foward to to making up the price in labor though. It is also interesting to note that on my old system I was so cheap that I modified a PS One LCD screen, it worked quite well though, its too bad they only made them at 5" or I would do it again.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
Sorry, I always thought it was alot more then buying a new radio. Then again, I never really priced one to an indash GPS unit becuase im too poor. Look foward to to making up the price in labor though.
That's what I mean also. I'm going to do the install myself. At least 2 years of ITT and a bachelors from Devry University will pay off.

I really like the idea of installing the main pc in the spare tire area. I have some good ideas to go along with this too. You can install two fans (input / output) flowing air to and from the PC. Either below the car for fresh cool air or creating small ducts running somewhere inside the car. Just an idea.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I m starting small and will add the good stuff as I go. Like I said, I ve got the actual computer.So all I need so far is touchscreen, the dc/dc psu with integrated startup controller, and the 4 channel amp, all of which will be bought on ebay for the cheap. Things like bluetooth, and gps I ll be adding later. I will also be installing this myself, thats why I ve been doing so much research on it.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:49 AM

cant you just use an AUX port for the audio?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM

You could if it was all running through a normal car audio H/u, however you still need a screen somewhere for the computer, so that kinda of hook in is really best if you want to keep a laptop in your passenger seat. What we're talking about here is a fully integrated computer in the car.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:58 PM

ive seen it done where people would locate the headunit to the glovebox, but I don't know if our gloveboxes are big enough for that.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM

Glad you like my car. If it does not sell for 14.5K or more I will be posting the entire system for sale here. (I am looking for $1200 for it if anyone is interested. I could pull it from the auction early) If anyone needs help installing a carputer hit me up. I can even give a few local guys some hands on help too.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 AM

Hey stones, I m actually the guy on ebay that send you a message about what typoe of screen you had. I did a quick search and couldnt come up with anything for a xenarc screen as you stated. Can you give us some more info about the total system? The biggest thing I m interested in though is the installation.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...67763&t=267763
sorta on topic
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM

Hey stones, I m actually the guy on ebay that send you a message about what typoe of screen you had. I did a quick search and couldnt come up with anything for a xenarc screen as you stated. Can you give us some more info about the total system? The biggest thing I m interested in though is the installation.
Where did you search for xenarc? They are the biggest car mfg for this market. Go to xenarc.com and check them out there.

System is a
7" Xenarc TS.
Dell D400 Laptop with docking station (in/out of car easy) P4 1.4, 1gig ram, 80 gig hd
Wifi for quick syncs.
USB GPS
Running RoadRunner OS (windows of course)
Iguidence 3 GPS
Start up controller
Steering wheel controls

That pretty much covers it

As for any other ??'s just shoot and I will answer them.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 AM

Ok well, now I ve found xenarc, but anyways I was more interested in the screen install than anything, do you have any pictures of how it is mounted? It looks so clean and factory. Maybe pictures with the dash bezel off but the screen in place?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, how did you make that bezel? What steeringwheel kit did you use? What Startup controller did you use?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 PM

It looks like the bezel is the factory bezel, no mods to it, thats why I m interested in how the screen is mounted, it looks very clean. As far as the startup controller and streering wheel mods, look to mp3car.com.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanna know more about the operating system he's using
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM

its windows more than likely, with whats called a front end called Road Runner. Its specifically for carputers. Basically you set the computer to boot straight into the front end, and it becomes your "OS" in the car, usually they re customizable and you have large buttons and the like designed for touchscreen operation. Again, hate to sound like a dick, but theres tons of info about it on mp3car.com also

Quick Reply: Hot Balt on eBay - Carputer Equipped