Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

how to launch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to launch?

ok guys, please don't kill me for this but i just have to ask. what is the best way to launch? i just got me an 06 red ss/sc (i got rid of the 06 yellow ls). i've already beat a 94-98 gt mustang, easily actually. i just want to know tho, so that way when i go to the track sometime soon i wont just sit there and spin and wheel hop thru 2nd. does anyone have any advice? thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM

IMO there is not good way to launch without mods. you just have to baby it in first. trust me. Take my advice. unlike my friend who broke his axle last night 3.2 seconds after i told him not to launch hard at the track. i understand its hard to get used to the diffrent surface. but you will not burn your tires, YOU WILL BREAK AN AXLE. our cars are ment to be drivin auto xing. not 1/4 mile. (not saying it cant be built to run 1/4 mile) the first thing i would do if i were you is lower the car with eibach sportsline springs. that helped me the most. good luck!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:27 PM

well thats actually funny you mentioning the sportline springs.... i took off the sportline i put on the ls i had, along with the custom strut brace & engalls TD. i just want to get some base line numbers on my ss/sc before i put any parts on it. i want to get a baseline 1/4 time & dyno runs.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:46 PM

ic well, when u comare the two make sure to p.m me, id like to know what the diff is with just the sportslines. i never got a baseline on mine. im very interested
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Very carefully.

That's the art of drag racing a street car. Getting it to launch without spinning the tires is the real challenge. The goal is to launch as quickly as you can while applying about 2 lb./ft. of torque less than what it takes to get the tires spinning.

The problem I noticed with my car (before I totalled it) was, even after the clutch was fully engaged, the engine would still spin the tires as the RPMs would build. That makes it even tougher.

My best advice... don't floor it in 1st gear at all. Bring the RPMs up to ~1,500, let the clutch out as slowly and smoothly as possible while keeping the throttle at the same positition, then gradually pressing the throttle as you go through 1st gear until it's time to shift.

After you get into 2nd gear, stab the throttle and GOOOO!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Heres my 2 cents

off the launch i rev a bit higher than others do. Its more of a feel thing for me rather than setting the tack a certain rpm. Im usually around 3k then when its time to go i feather the clutch out while giving it gas, The feathering of the clutch allows you to not break your tires loose(some times). If the tires start to break loose use a little more clutch. As soon as im fully off the clutch i instanstly mash the gas.

by revving higher i(personally) pull much better launches. Practice makes for better, the more practice you get the better of a feel you will develope for how much gas or clutch you need.

I highly recommend not dumping your clutch.

basically what aj said, just a slight diff. (personal pref)
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 PM

you've been around a while haven't you? SEARCH
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by koonce727
basically what aj said, just a slight diff. (personal pref)
If you've had your car to the track then you'd know better than I would. I never got there in it. I'm only basing my experience on the street.

And just to show the difference between cars...

Once I took my '94 Z28 I used to own back in 1996. That was just dump the clutch off idle, mash the gas after the clutch was out all the way and shift when necessary. Any throttle off the line before the clutch was out was a sure way to spin the tires.

I ran a best of ~14.5 ET with that car, 100% stock.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Floor it, dump the clutch, scream Ye Ha! and hang the **** on!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackalope
Floor it, dump the clutch, scream Ye Ha! and hang the **** on!
x2. The more you scream, the more boost you build plus its rumored your axles acutally get stronger...only a rumor though...On a serious note, I usually feather it from 1500. Works for me most of the time. It just takes practice practice and more practice to get it right. When you think you got it down, practice some more.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 PM

i dont recommend dumping the clutch. But my defn of dumping the clutch maybe different the yours.
heres mine

by dumping the clutch i mean at the light you set your rpms(say 2k). At go time you completely let off while mashing the gas(no feathering of the clutch what so ever). From my experience thats how axles brake.(not sure about rwd camaro).

and by feathering the clutch you can build your rpms creating more or full boost.(adding to what hickover stated)

Also, what works for some people may not work for others. My way may be the worst for you, or you may pull some good times. The more runs down the track you have the better you will get.

this is just my 2 cents.