Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

How to launch, IMO

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to launch, IMO

Heres the way I seem to have the best luck launching. Rev to about 3000, bog it, and punch the gas from 3000 or so. The car jumps the line, bogs a tiny bit, then hits the power band and BAM 2nd gear. I've outlaunched every thing I've tried using that method. Including a poor WRX last night, bhahahahahah.

And yes, I kno the wrx driver sucked, but it still was satisfing.

How do yall do it?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what you're saying is that your dropping the clutch at 3000 rpm? Is that bad for your drivetrain? My SS/SC is my first manual transmission car and I haven't attempted to launch it yet so I don't know how to do it. I would like to know the best way to launch this car.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by SloBaltSS
Heres the way I seem to have the best luck launching. Rev to about 3000, bog it, and punch the gas from 3000 or so. The car jumps the line, bogs a tiny bit, then hits the power band and BAM 2nd gear. I've outlaunched every thing I've tried using that method. Including a poor WRX last night, bhahahahahah.

And yes, I kno the wrx driver sucked, but it still was satisfing.

How do yall do it?
Wow, you will need some new struts soon if you launch like that. You are putting a lot of stress on the car when you drop the clutch, I find it easier and more effective to slip the clutch. I get no wheelspin and by the time I floor it, I get just about full traction.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 AM

This is also my first manual car. Ive tried launching it by slipping the clutch off around 2300 and my tires scream like hell. Maybe i should ease it off for some extra traction? I need a pros review on this also.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 AM

I've driven 5 different manuals in the last 12 years and find the best thing to do for a quick launch is slip/ride the clutch until you are disengaged. Then you WOT and lift your gas foot up only a little in between shifts.

Riding the slutch will minimize the wheelspin compared to just dropping the clutch at 3 grand. I usually give it 1500 - 2000 rpm while lifting the clutch then floor it
Old 08-25-2005, 10:41 AM

Import hater is right this is my second stick car and that has to be the best way. round 2500 rpms n slide the clutch out no tire spin n no messed up clutch. but what i found better was power shiften. do not take your foot off of the gas and just clutch hard and shift even harder.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 AM

power shifting is a terribly absusive thing to do.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
When I raced my LS last weekend I didn't powershift for this very reason, it's extremely hard on your car. Once I hit 5800RPM I hit the clutch, pulled my foot all the way off and then in one motion popped the gas and dropped the clutch. Your shifts won't be quite as smooth but it's much better for your car...just don't slip the clutch out at those high RPMs .

As for launching, dumping it may work well but as has been stated that's a lot of force on your front suspension, struts, etc. It may work well but I wouldn't do it all the time or you're going to most likely end up with a busted up drivetrain. This is my first standard as well but I find that slipping it out and then hammering the gas once you're engaged works well and is much easier on your clutch, tranny and suspension. Just my .02 though .

Permafried-
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 PM

If you are racing a little wheel slip is gunna heat the tires, and give you a little better traction, if you are just wanting a faster launch, rev at around 1500 and then punch it after u have wheel stabilty, and traction to the ground.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:15 PM

I'm not dropping it at 3k, I'm sort of slipping quickly... Its pretty easy on the car... no wheelhop, very minimal spin... and If Im hooked up at the end of 1st gear, 2nd won't spin when I hit it...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avro206

We are talking about Drag Racing here. Drag Racing is a terribly absusive thing to do. You race it you break it. So when talking about launching at a track, the best salution is the salution that gives you the lowest 60'.

I tried dropping the clutch at idle and punching the gas, that gave me wheel hop like i was a rabbit and a 2.5 sixty foot.

Next i tried easying it off the line. Resaulted in no hop, just a little bit of sping, and a 2.5 sixty foot

Next i tried easying it off the line again, just time with more gas, end result was about a the same with a high 2.4

My last launch I reved to about 3500 and easied off of the clutch. Resaulted in no wheel hop, a hell of a let of spinning and a 2.2x(i believe it was a 2.267)

I wanted to try at 2500 and 3000 and play with it a bit, but i ran out of time. I brand new CG sprung a leak and shut down the track for an hour :-(
Old 09-01-2005, 01:09 AM

I have made a couple of runs and the best thing i have done is drop it at 2000 it will spin them some and not bog, seems nearly perfect, some spin is good
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM

What importhater said.

Whatever you do, do not "Drop" the clutch when you launch. Slip it quick. The cobalts clutch has a very long throw, and it only grabs at the last 15% or so. You need to be quick, this is a hard car to launch properly, without wheelspin.

1) Hold throttle at about 2000-2200 (Do not launch above 3 or your gonna spin and get beat like an ugly stepchild)

2) "When the clutch starts to engage, start "Squeezing" the throttle down until you get bit and once you dig, HAMMER IT.

You can slip the clutch in second to get a great 2nd gear burnout going on
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
What importhater said.

Whatever you do, do not "Drop" the clutch when you launch. Slip it quick. The cobalts clutch has a very long throw, and it only grabs at the last 15% or so. You need to be quick, this is a hard car to launch properly, without wheelspin.

1) Hold throttle at about 2000-2200 (Do not launch above 3 or your gonna spin and get beat like an ugly stepchild)

2) "When the clutch starts to engage, start "Squeezing" the throttle down until you get bit and once you dig, HAMMER IT.
Music to my ears.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM

some wheel spin is good guys
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM

"some" is good but in order for most people to get "some" you have to launch like you want "none"

Note: "Punching" the gas in first is a great way to snap an engine mount.
You want to "Squeeze " the accelerator in first. Its trial and error as to how hard to squeeze, and it depends on the road and temp. I dont know about you guys, but if I put the hammer down anywhere in first, its burnout time. If I let off in 2nd and then hammer it though, I DIG.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
1) Hold throttle at about 2000-2200
You can slip the clutch in second to get a great 2nd gear burnout going on
Uh that's going to glaze your clutch over. I wouldn't suggest this unless you're wanting to replace the clutch soon.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:01 PM

No its not. I have been doing it for years with my older cars, never had a problem. Ok the burnout idea may be a bad one, but it's fun..

My uncle tought me when I was 17 how to launch. Not bragging but he was a well known race car driver. I have since run into many other people who launch the exact same way.

Anyways, I dont think you understand what I mean. I dont mean ride the clutch. There will be a tiny bit of interaction between clutch and gas, I mean TINY when I am talking about launching above.

Question for you :

So if your launching without having any interaction between clutch and gas, how are you launching without dumping? I mean if your not literally dumping the clutch there will be a tiny bit overlap. If you dump you will get wheel spin, you will get wheel hop, you will break parts.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 PM

the best way Ive found is at 2000 while using the parking brake to hold the car. when light turns let clutch out and relese the brake at same time then roll into gas. also the more of a burnout you do in the box the greaser the radail tires get, small burnouts are alot better with street tires.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 PM

The best way to launch is to engage clutch, put gas pedal at WOT, let the rev limiter peg for about 10 seconds straight, then just drop the ******* clutch, and off you go!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the way i launch my ralliart is reving to 3000 rpm and then quick slip the clutch. no wheel spin but just a tad wheel hop at the top of 1st gear. i'm still perfecting my launch.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM

at the track, i've tried easing the clutch out and lower rpms. never get great times doing it that way. maybe a 14.8 to 14.9 (on lucky accasions. I've had the most success with dropping it at about 2,500rpm. It wheel hops for a sec, let off the gas, then punch it. I've made 6 14.5 passes now and they have all been made by doing this. But keep in mind i olny do this at the track because its rough on the car.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:10 AM

This is sort of an aside question, but can you guys spin the wheels in 1st gear from a roll?

My car only has 1100 Kms on it so it's in no way fully broken in yet and making max power. I have not launched it hard from a standstill (since I haven't been on a track), but a few times I have floored it in 1st after the clutch was out at like 1500RPM and ran it until redline (or until I hit the limiter). To my surprise, I have not experienced any wheelspin! It pulls hard and smooth though. It accelerates too fast for the tach just like all you guys (shift at ~6100RPM), but no wheel hop or slip? At least not that I am detecting.

I was expecting the tires to break traction somewhat easily with this kinda power, but they are glued pretty good. Maybe this is just the LSD, since I have never driven a FWD car with one. Just wanted to see if this was normal, or if I just need to wait until my car gets more miles and makes more power!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
This is sort of an aside question, but can you guys spin the wheels in 1st gear from a roll?

My car only has 1100 Kms on it so it's in no way fully broken in yet and making max power. I have not launched it hard from a standstill (since I haven't been on a track), but a few times I have floored it in 1st after the clutch was out at like 1500RPM and ran it until redline (or until I hit the limiter). To my surprise, I have not experienced any wheelspin! It pulls hard and smooth though. It accelerates too fast for the tach just like all you guys (shift at ~6100RPM), but no wheel hop or slip? At least not that I am detecting.

I was expecting the tires to break traction somewhat easily with this kinda power, but they are glued pretty good. Maybe this is just the LSD, since I have never driven a FWD car with one. Just wanted to see if this was normal, or if I just need to wait until my car gets more miles and makes more power!
I think our altitude (well Edmontons better) would prevent that.

When I had my 86 Mustang LX it would light up the tires from a 10mph roll in Kelowna. It was so cool