Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

80 mph shifted to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbird
Exactly what I was thinking. Because if for some reason he did manage to fully get it into 1st while going 80 miles per hour, the second the clutch was let out it would have way overspun the engine. That would normally result in things like damaged rod bearings, grenaded pistons, and/or valvetrain damage. Very, very bad which is why you need to be careful on downshifts.

If you're really concerned and worrying about it you could always have a used oil analysis done. That's one of the best ways to spot internal engine damage or excessive wear this side of a full tear down.

Also one other thing related to this since it comes up occasionally (usually when someone is asking about doing a 5th to 2nd downshift instead of into 4th) and that's the subject of the rev limiter. Remember that the rev limiter is an electronic limit imposed by the computer where it cuts fuel and spark to prevent the engine from powering and spinning itself over the red line/fuel cut-off point. If you manage to somehow downshift into too low of a gear and let out the clutch, the momentum of the car and the speed the wheels are spinning is going to travel backwards through the trans (where the gear multiplication occurs), through the clutch then flywheel where it will physically spin the engine up too high (and there's nothing electronics can do once that's happening).

no matter how hard you try you will not match sprchrgd4life post...
Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 AM

yea, over 25 and well... why even bother with 1st?

and woah, woah... time out... it shifts better now? nah, i just think ur paying uber attention and i'm crazy envious of you and your TC, bowtie! with our small, powerful engines and light flywheels, it's rather tricky to drive. my dad drives my car sometimes and i sometimes, though rarely, drive the c6 vette, and he always tells me his is easier to drive and i almost have to agree.

i dont think he shifted to 3rd guys, a 5->3 downshift doesn't skyrocket the rpms to the redline, you can take the f35 tranny (applies to both SC and TC) to 100mph easy in 3rd, if i'm going 80 or less i hop down to 3rd for some serious get-up-and-go. either way, you have no damage done so life is good.

just an example of how light our engines and drivetrains are... when i filled my tranny mounts, i used a jack to support the engine yes but with my custom centering sleeves to fill in the gap in the mounts (they're bigger than the bolt, for reasons unbeknownst to me) i had to rotate the engine slightly to get em in. i released the jack, supported the drivetrain with 1 arm and rotated it a degree, no problem!

thanks for the positive comments on the reply every1, i put some thought into that 1. i'm goin to suny farmingdale in ny for automotive engineering, i absolutely love it. took a manual drivetrains and transaxles class last semester hehe.

gonna give a quick salute to the cobalts... god bless our lil global delta chassis, supercharged 2.0L 6.5quarts of oil, turn-demolishing stylish lil beasts of a car!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
no matter how hard you try you will not match sprchrgd4life post...
Who said I was trying. At least he saved me some time attempting to put thoughts into words.

Originally Posted by Super_SS
usually anything over 25mph on any car u cant get it back into 1st gear
"Usually" is right. Most transaxles will lock you out of first and reverse but I've seen some crazy things. What I used to love is when I'd be driving around my Focus for while and get used to the 6-speed and then jumped into one of my older turbo Dodges which all have 5-speeds. I'd constantly have to remind myself "reverse is not sixth, reverse is not sixth...". Almost went for it a couple times but caught myself in the nick of time.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 AM

lol wait so your not supposed to shift into first @ 80mph? lol
Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 AM

Funny thing my buddy did this the other night with his mustang. Thank god for pushing in the clutch or fucked city was his next stop. Don't let it happen agian!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 AM

1st @ 80, and you'd do some damage. reverse at 80... well, that's one way to engine-brake or in this case, engine break!

"ha ha, i made a funny" said the wise, wise splinter. ahhh yes, quoting ninja turtles @ 1/4 to 4am.... bed time.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 AM

I see tranny problems in your future says ms. cleo
Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

damn thats bad! but don't feel bad i did the same thing only in second gear.