Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Accidental gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Accidental gear grind

So I screwed up; wasn't paying attention and let the clutch out too early trying to slot the car back into first from neutral at parking lot speeds... I heard my first ever gear grind.

The car seems to drive ok, but is there any chance I damaged something badly in the tranny? The car only has 1,400mi on it...
Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everybody has ground a gear here or there. A one time thing probably won't do anything. My boyfriend's SS used to grind reverse EVERY time you put it in and the tranny was fine. As long as it's not a regular thing and as long as you didn't really raunch on it and try to really force it in to gear, you're more than likely alright.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alleycat58
Everybody has ground a gear here or there. A one time thing probably won't do anything. My boyfriend's SS used to grind reverse EVERY time you put it in and the tranny was fine. As long as it's not a regular thing and as long as you didn't really raunch on it and try to really force it in to gear, you're more than likely alright.
I agree, As long as it's not an everyday occurrance, you shoudl be fine. I've ground a few gears here and there just like you not paying attention. Nothign to worry about
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM

PFFFT when I race stock civics. The clutch is my anyway. i shift clutchless and SLAM them into gear. CAN'T FIND EM GRIND EM. Joking.... you'll be fine 100%. sounds viscious though right? Like damn did people hear that a mile away. and alleycat58 for your b/f's problem. Ask him before he goes into reverse... trust me on this one. Tell him while holding in the clutch slide into 5th and down to reverse. I can almost guarentee it will NOT grind. Works everytime in most car's i've driven. Luckily never my own lol. people are always like how did you not make it grind going into reverse. i'm like dood or doodness depending if its a women... dood i don't know me and transmission's have a special bond
Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06SS ALL DAY
PFFFT when I race stock civics. The clutch is my anyway. i shift clutchless and SLAM them into gear. CAN'T FIND EM GRIND EM. Joking.... you'll be fine 100%. sounds viscious though right? Like damn did people hear that a mile away. and alleycat58 for your b/f's problem. Ask him before he goes into reverse... trust me on this one. Tell him while holding in the clutch slide into 5th and down to reverse. I can almost guarentee it will NOT grind. Works everytime in most car's i've driven. Luckily never my own lol. people are always like how did you not make it grind going into reverse. i'm like dood or doodness depending if its a women... dood i don't know me and transmission's have a special bond
At first the issue was with the trans fluid that was put in. After a flush and fill, it got better but still had a little grind from the aftermarket clutch being a little funky. He got rid of the car, so it's a non-issue now.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM

i gotcha... well tranny's and clutches are a pain in the @$$ anyways... i think cars should just have jet engines... at least we would have to worry about breaking axles and clutches slipping... idk lol