Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Anyone with exedy hyper single! PLEASE INPUT!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with exedy hyper single! PLEASE INPUT!!!!!

I bought the clutch quite some time ago now. I have had it installed now for about two weeks and have put about 250km on it. Its grips extremely well and it definately never slips. However, I am having three concerns with it that I know never was with the stock clutch and flywheel. First problem is that I can never get a good smooth start. When I drive normally and accelerate from a dead stop and I rev the car to about 1300 like normal and let the clutch out the slowly the car vibrates from about a second or two untill the car starts going and I completely let the clutch out... it worries me because I haven't experienced that yet. Second problem is that if I am in second or third gear and I full throttle it and then release the throttle and don't brake or press clutch you can hear the clutch chattering untill I get to like under 2800 rpm. During normal driving I never hear the chattering noise. Third and last concern is that I have a somewhat steep driveway and to get up it I need to ride the clutch slightly and keep blipping the engine to slowly get me up into my garage but obviously not to fast.... after about 4-5 seconds of riding the clutch and blipping the engine anywhere between 1800-2500rpm the clutch starts to make a loud sqreeching noise. I can tell that the clutch plate and flywheel and rubbing against eachother but is it suposed to make that kind of a noise... I don't know if all this is normal for a semi racing sex puck clutch or what but I would really need you opinion on all this. I got the clutch installed by my GM dealership and they reassure me it was installed properly and if something isn't working right it might be a defective clutch and flywheel so I am in a bit of a mess and would really need your help. Please give me your opinion on these three senarios. If this is all normal for other people with my clutch then it will be a big sign of relief... otherwise I got a bone to pick with my dealer or see if where I bought it they can help me out. Thanks for any input!!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Definitely might want to check the installation job on that. Better safe then sorry. And do it ASAP.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 AM
Doc

I'd advise the same thing. In the meantime, park in the street.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM

Yes park that sucker. Park that sucker on a lift and check out that purple clutch.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 AM

did you change the slave/sthrow out bearing. This should be changed wenever replacing a clutch.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
did you change the slave/sthrow out bearing. This should be changed wenever replacing a clutch.
Yeah there is a new throw out and slave. I have heard from some people that its normal for the exedy clutch when its new... its just a little strange
Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM

I've got the Exedy, I don't have any squealing noises. Except at 1st when I didn't put a new throwout bearing/slave assembly. I had to take the transmission out again and put a new one in, everythings been fine since then.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is the part number for the throwout bearing/slave assembly, im definatley replacing when i install this clutch.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:26 PM

Slave / Throw out bearing

Originally Posted by distillion
what is the part number for the throwout bearing/slave assembly, im definatley replacing when i install this clutch.
Well heres the scoop on that one. There are none, I repeat none in all of Canada. I had to phone a dealer in the states who then got on his computer and did a search for me. He came up with a list of about 10 dealers that had them. I then phoned the clossest to Calgary asked what it would cost for the part and then ship it overnight to Calgary. It also turned out that it was cheaper buying it from the states than here in Canada. I was quoted 259.00 CAD here in Calgary and I think I purchased it in the states for less than 115 CAD and another 80 CAD for shipping over night. So I give good rep to that dealer. (I will have to look at the invoice for the part number) I think I still have the list of dealers at home. I will try to find it and scan it and I will post it.

cheers
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 PM

I ordered mine from GM Parts Cheap dot com for 110 or something like that. Got quick shipping too.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC
I ordered mine from GM Parts Cheap dot com for 110 or something like that. Got quick shipping too.
sweet. I paid the extra bucks cause I needed it here ASAP cause my car was apart and the bearing was f**ked up.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
just make sure it isn't a SEX puck clutch... lol did anyone else catch that.

as for the squeeling, might be a little glazed if you were getting on it before it was completely broken in
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 PM

It states in the GM ecotec 2.0l lsj power manual under the clutch install section quote "Here is what you want to buy for your Cobalt SS or Ion Red Line: a performance clutch, pressure plate, bolts, alignment tool, and IF NEEDED A NEW THROWOUT BEARING. THE THROWOUT BEARING MIGHT BE REQUIRED IF THE CLUTCH USES ONE DIFFERENT THAN THE STOCK PIECE, IF IT DOESN'T, MOST ENTHUSIASTS DON'T SWAP OUT THE THROWOUT BEARING AS THEY ARE VERY DURABLE"

The caps are for the main info from this quote, I'm not stating they are right or wrong just strictly info only, hope this helps

Last edited by Nuclear; 07-26-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Doc

When the tech was installing mine, he said it wasn't needed. I had one so I had it replaced anyway. I haven't had any issue.

Until I moved to SoCal and had to learn how to drive on hills again Seeing how I moved from Virginia, a very ******* flat state, to one with a ton of stop lights and stop signs on hills, I've been learning to use the emergency brake to help.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nuclear
It states in the GM ecotec 2.0l lsj power manual under the clutch install section quote "Here is what you want to buy for your Cobalt SS or Ion Red Line: a performance clutch, pressure plate, bolts, alignment tool, and IF NEEDED A NEW THROWOUT BEARING. THE THROWOUT BEARING MIGHT BE REQUIRED IF THE CLUTCH USES ONE DIFFERENT THAN THE STOCK PIECE, IF IT DOESN'T, MOST ENTHUSIASTS DON'T SWAP OUT THE THROWOUT BEARING AS THEY ARE VERY DURABLE"

The caps are for the main info from this quote, I'm not stating they are right or wrong just strictly info only, hope this helps
I have read that also. Though, from my experience and I have owned many a vehicle and have probably replaced five or six clutches on separate occasions the rule of thumb is to change the throw out bearing weather it needs it or not. my 2006 cobalt had a CM stage three clutch and fidanza flywheel in it when i bought it and the bearing assembly was not changed. When I replaced the clutch a couple of weeks ago and they took it out the bearing was almost in pieces. Now it is up to the individual to make there own decisions but I highly recommend replacing it if you are replacing the clutch to save yourself the agrivation that might happen if the bearing goes and you have to spend the money or time to take every thing apart again.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by distillion
the GM part number is 12583857 - cylinder asm-clu actr (cylinder assembly-clutch actuator) Sorry, but I do not have the list of dealers that had them.

Last edited by Kaisoboy; 07-26-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 AM

When I first got the clutch I drove it pretty hard... I was sooo eager to see how well it worked. The only way I can get a really good start is as soon as I feel the clutch grab I rev it to 1800-2000 ish and then its fine.... it gotten a little bit better since I got it. Again... its soooo new! only 200 and some km on it. So unless someone remembers exactly how the clutch felt when it was brand new please do lemme know how it was. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 AM

just slowly deglaze it. not hard anymore. shift in the upper range but not gunning it.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
just make sure it isn't a SEX puck clutch... lol did anyone else catch that.
thats the new hottness!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Herndon_High_SS
just slowly deglaze it. not hard anymore. shift in the upper range but not gunning it.

I have been reving it to 1800-2000 lately and letting the clutch go as anyone normally would for a while and it seems to be working quite nicely now. However... I was told that when I gun it, it is normal for the clutch to chatter as the car revs itself down. Something about the flywheel having less intertia or something. Had it explained.... but yeah if anyone out there has the exedy stage 3 please keep giving your opinions on how it works for you. I would greatly appreciate it bcecause next to no people in my area have the exedy clutch.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:52 PM

need help too

I have a redline, so i just had my clutch replaced with the exedy, at like 18,500 miles. The dealership said i didn't need a new throwout bearing. Now it is installed and when i engage the clutch i get a squealing sound. Is this a break in issue, or do i have a major issue on my hands????? Some help lease
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by detroitboy27
I have a redline, so i just had my clutch replaced with the exedy, at like 18,500 miles. The dealership said i didn't need a new throwout bearing. Now it is installed and when i engage the clutch i get a squealing sound. Is this a break in issue, or do i have a major issue on my hands????? Some help lease
My dealership didn't change the throwout bearing either cause it was in good condition otherwise warranty would have covered it. Try doing this bud... on a dead stop as your letting your foot up to depress the clutch just before it grabs rev it to 1800 - 2000 and lemme know if it works any different. I heard because the exedy is basically a racing clutch all it wants to do is grab and also because the pressure being exerted is wayyyy greater then any stock clutch so you gota drive it completely different. Atleast thats how it is working for me so far...
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 PM

I am definetly learning to redrive the car. I am totally babying it at the monent. The car is driving, but i get the squealing/ whining noise when the clutch is pushed in to switch gears. The sound goes away when the gears are engaged. I don't think the throw out bearing is covered under warranty. I'nm dropping it off tomorrow so we'll see.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 AM

Throw out bearing is covered. My dealer said if there was the slightest thing wrong with the throw out they would order me one and cover it under warranty so nothing to worry about.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM

so i got lucky. The tech who installed it, bent the aluminum dust guard and it was rubbing on the flywheel. Sounds odd, whatever, I don't care. The car is fine, no squeal at all. I'm happy and can't wait for the next 1000 miles to be done with.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 PM

Was there any long term damage?

Quick Reply: Anyone with exedy hyper single! PLEASE INPUT!!!!!