Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Bench bleeding the TOB

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kzak104
If your referring to me I have bled many many many clutches at work. Never had a come back. Including power assisted Porsche systems.

But I understand people who have never done it before over thinking it and getting themselves psyched up
Not my first rodeo. It is undeniable that a TOB that is already full of fluid with very little air inside the pipe will make the entire bleeding process faster. Just looking to get it done faster with less chance of air.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner
Your way does sound very sound and thorough. After trying to do it alone yesterday by bleeding it while pumping, i did it by the build book.

Which was as follows and seems fishy..

Connect vac bleeder to resiovior. Mine didnt have an attachment to screw into the cap so i left the cap on and attached to the open 1/4 neck protruding from the top of the res,

Pump vac bleeder to 15, wait for ten minutes.

Relieve pressure, pump clutch 10 or so times, then do it again a few more times waiting 5 minutes in vacum each time.

Idk far as i can tell im feeling normal clutch pedal pressure. But idk how the vac method actually pulls any air.
So did i do this right? /\
Old 03-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys are over complicating this. just pump the pedal and bleed it with a friend. works every time on just about every car without bench bleeding anything. There is zero chance that you will damage anything using this method.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:18 AM

Just finished another clutch job(ky warranty)..I did not replace the TOB as it was only 5k miles old. I secured the trans mounts then popped on the hydraulic line elbow. Let it sit for a few minutes with the bleeder cracked open. Then, vaccum bled the TOB at the distribution block bleeder nipple. It took less than 5 minutes and I did not touch the pedal once. Since the TOB already had residual fluid inside and line was gravity bled, all I had to do was vacuum bleed until the air stopped which happened quickly. Only one set of hands and eyes needed this way.

If using new TOB, I would suck fluid into it and let the fluid settle inside the slave overnight. This should produce same result other than may push out little fluid during install.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Your over complicating this...... But to each is their own. I always do the 2 man method. Works the best in my opinion. have some push some through with the bleeder open until the fluid looks nearly air free. Close it. Pump it up, open close repeat until no air. Takes me 5 minutes at most to do. Matter of fact it took me 5 minutes to do an entire bleed after replacing the clutch master, lines, tob, clutch pipe and block. No need for bench bleeding or a vacuum bleeder. Vaccum bleeders don't always work either.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
Just finished another clutch job(ky warranty)..I did not replace the TOB as it was only 5k miles old. I secured the trans mounts then popped on the hydraulic line elbow. Let it sit for a few minutes with the bleeder cracked open. Then, vaccum bled the TOB at the distribution block bleeder nipple. It took less than 5 minutes and I did not touch the pedal once. Since the TOB already had residual fluid inside and line was gravity bled, all I had to do was vacuum bleed until the air stopped which happened quickly. Only one set of hands and eyes needed this way.

If using new TOB, I would suck fluid into it and let the fluid settle inside the slave overnight. This should produce same result other than may push out little fluid during install.
Welcome to the club of failed KY clutches.
You shouldn't have put that back in; it will likely fail just like my warranty replacement.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
Your over complicating this...... But to each is their own. I always do the 2 man method. Works the best in my opinion. have some push some through with the bleeder open until the fluid looks nearly air free. Close it. Pump it up, open close repeat until no air. Takes me 5 minutes at most to do. Matter of fact it took me 5 minutes to do an entire bleed after replacing the clutch master, lines, tob, clutch pipe and block. No need for bench bleeding or a vacuum bleeder. Vaccum bleeders don't always work either.
I have always worked on my personal cars by myself for many reasons. If you had an extra set of hands, yes it's a bit overkill. But for one man, it's not at all. Very simple really, IMO.

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
Welcome to the club of failed KY clutches.
You shouldn't have put that back in; it will likely fail just like my warranty replacement.
Oh believe me, I didn't want to. I was expecting to already have the f40 installed by now but ZZP still doesn't have the f40 kit ready (comes with new clutch and flywheel)and I had to fix my clutch issue since "Tis the season" for car shenanigans ... BUT I now have 250 city miles on the clutch (no wot pulls yet) and it feels much much better than the first one. The puck material look slightly different and a less pourous so I have high hopes it will last until the f40 kit is ready(crossing fingers)