Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

catastrophic failure: cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
If the CV boot ripped and some of the grease hit the exhaust you could get smoke.
or if he hit a bump, there was no extra clearance on the axle and it blew the joint apart along with the boot, it would do the same.

funniest thing is, he's going to do the same thing again except next time hopefully it's with $700 axles and someone catches it on video
Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

they are stage 1's they're like 250. the rotated mounts will keep it from happening again. I guess customizing your car is being a ricer now? I can't afford coilovers whoops. thanks for the support guys.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol
they are stage 1's they're like 250. the rotated mounts will keep it from happening again. I guess customizing your car is being a ricer now? thanks for the support guys.
Rotated mounts won't solve your problem. Why won't you listen to people?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

because if you're not going to agree you obviously don't understand what you're talking about.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:37 PM

because if you're not going to agree you obviously don't understand what you're talking about.
The axles need be modified to handle the lowering. Rotated mounts/aftermarket axles will not solve the problem you are having.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowswap
The axles need be modified to handle the lowering. Rotated mounts/aftermarket axles will not solve the problem you are having.
we will see.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM

I don't care about your car. Both sides of this conversation has said ignorant things. the last of ...and i paraphrase....if u dont agree with me ur dumb (really?).

i want you to dump a **** ton of money into lowering this car. I want your car to blow up spectacularly. If it doesn't more power to you. good luck. let us know.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are stage 1's they're like 250. the rotated mounts will keep it from happening again. I guess customizing your car is being a ricer now? I can't afford coilovers whoops. thanks for the support guys.
you are one retarded mother ******...lmao

wow...even more of a retard. There was a guy on the forums just like you. Ask for help from people that know what they are talking about. He didnt get the answer he wanted and told everyone to **** off...last i heard his engine blew.

Some peoples children just dont belong in a car.....

Last edited by Snakes709; 11-01-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

I have done enough research on the issue to understand it now. he is just being stubborn.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

umm guy, do you know that we're talking about internal clearances and nothing to do with the angle of the motor? you can use 180 freaking degree rotated mounts and install your motor upside down and that won't help the least little bit with internal clearances

but there's no reason to argue with you, because you say we have no idea what we're talking about and you know all about it. and i'm sure you also already knew that by chopping your springs, you have destroyed the damping efficiency. so that means your struts will be trashed shortly (if not already) and then you'll have broken axle set #2, possibly broken trans case or intermediate shaft/bearing, trashed struts and ruined springs.

$1000 worth of replaced parts to save $150 on a used set of springs

why exactly is your car leaning to the left?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
umm guy, do you know that we're talking about internal clearances and nothing to do with the angle of the motor? you can use 180 freaking degree rotated mounts and install your motor upside down and that won't help the least little bit with internal clearances

but there's no reason to argue with you, because you say we have no idea what we're talking about and you know all about it. and i'm sure you also already knew that by chopping your springs, you have destroyed the damping efficiency. so that means your struts will be trashed shortly (if not already) and then you'll have broken axle set #2, possibly broken trans case or intermediate shaft/bearing, trashed struts and ruined springs.

$1000 worth of replaced parts to save $150 on a used set of springs
true true... lets lay the cards down...

Option A - Lowering Springs = $250-$300 shipped (there ya go, you got what you want)

Option B - Cutting Springs = $0 at the time.

Once **** goes wrong:
$300 for stage 1 axles or $800 for stage 2.
$300 for new struts
$1000 for new trans case (think thats what they cost)
$500-600 for labour
$400 for stock springs
Grand Total = $2500 minimum

Now im not a smart person financialy...hell i cant even save $20 for more then 2 days... But i can tell you that i would rather pick $300 for lowering springs then $2500 in repairs for being a retard
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 AM

/\ This

I guess customizing your car is being a ricer now? I can't afford coilovers whoops. thanks for the support guys.

No, sawing your shocks is rice. Just like fart cans are rice.

Save, and take pride in your ride. You cant tell me you could afford an 07 SC and cant scratch together and save for a set a coilovers for the spring.
Believe me, we are trying to help\support you.

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 11-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Drift i fully understand where you comen from they haten cause you use your brain for modifications and they use mommy and daddys credit cards haha
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by fredds-turbaltSS
Drift i fully understand where you comen from they haten cause you use your brain for modifications and they use mommy and daddys credit cards haha
Hes not using his brain.. and i really hope your kidding.

The problem is... HE is the one who is stubborn... he wont accept the fact that the rotated mounts just wont have anything to do with his problem, and HE is stubbornly ignoring the information given to him because he thinks hes right... thats where most of the problems arise.

Now that i see your the moron with the stupid ass looking exhaust on your car, I am no longer surprised that you are the one who did this.

"Want to be SLAMMED not lowered"... that has got to be the most ******* ricer comment i have ever heard... Sounds like that came out of fast and furious... Im sorry, but the people who really give a **** about cars, arent going to go out and buy a big ******* stupid exhaust that looks aboslutly retarded on the car, cut your ******* springs.. and they arent going to be all nice and agree with your stupid ideas..

They arent going to agree with you because you are wrong. Wouldnt you think that if you were making the right decision, people would instead of making fun of you, telling you that what your doing wont work would agree with you? Hmm... havent thought of that have you? You havent thought of that because your blinded by your stupid ******* ideas of "being slammed and having a muffler the size of of a baby cow" and you cant use anything of value that is offered to you because of it.

You come on a car forum to have people give you the ideas on doing the right thing. Ask your friends or a teacher or someone who doesnt give a **** if you want them to tell you that your right, and what your doing isnt ******* retarded.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

haha wow. I am overwhelmed. I am just going to say the issue at hand is not really clearance. there are no markings on the axles from rubbing. the problem here is the alignment of the trans with my hubs. Again, the rotated mounts will fix this. The stage 1 axles will prove whether or not this is true. if they do not hold, I will stockpile moog axles which for me will only cost 75 a pop. You gotta pay to play and I understand this. I have also realized that it was a stupid move to chop my springs that low, I never denied that. I took out my bump stops, how will the struts not blow? as for dampening, the strut rods are shortened for that. modified Megan racing coilovers (don't care if they suck) will get you guys to shut up. this is a project in motion and you need to get that through your thick bolt on skulls.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
x2 shortstack
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

idiot...

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 11-02-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fredds-turbaltSS
dude i sure hope you are joking. Yea he used his brain alright...now he has no axles. As for we use mommy's and daddy's credit card...maybe you should take another look at peoples background before you make bold statements like that.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

did you not read what I just posted? now shut the **** up. frank's sticking up for me cuz he's my friend he's not about to call me an idiot for doing what I did. The problem's being fixed and improved so keep your **** to yourself until it's finished.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Im sorry to sound like such a douche bag dude, but seriously, you were asking for it with some of the comments you made.

Its just mind boggling when someone who is having beginner issues argues with and totally neglects everything someone with knowledge on the subject offers to you.

As for your friend, the mommy and daddys credit card statement was a no no... that doesnt fly well with some of the people on here... And friends shouldnt let friends do what they want just because they think its right..

My guess he probly is he is probly afraid of saying something about you being wrong because going by how you flew off the handle on the forum... one only knows how the reaction is once in person...

Last edited by ShortStack; 11-02-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

I don't understand why you think I got so mad. I was just trying to say let me do my thing and if I break more axles it's my problem. I've been researching this day and night and I obviously don't need any more "advice". It's a project that no one's ever tried with a cobalt. It's not like I don't have a backup set of springs I knew something was gonna happen. I got better advice on vwvortex than on here because cobalt owners aren't into this type of ****.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

cause 99% of people who MODIFY there car do it on a budget.. but getting out the torch and CUTTING your springs and modifying the shock's IS STUPID on a BRAND NEW CAR.. no wonder your car has a lean to it.. cuttin spring's was popular in like what THE 60's before you were even BORN??????
i didnt know you drive an old school muscle car with RWD...

and if the TARD's at vw vortex do this crap i feel even more sorry for them but i bet 100% it's on an OLDER CAR.. and repair part are still more expensive..
and dude two word's for you if you want to get SLAMMED not lowered.. AIR BAG'S.....
Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
I don't understand why you think I got so mad. I was just trying to say let me do my thing and if I break more axles it's my problem. I've been researching this day and night and I obviously don't need any more "advice". It's a project that no one's ever tried with a cobalt. It's not like I don't have a backup set of springs I knew something was gonna happen. I got better advice on vwvortex than on here because cobalt owners aren't into this type of ****.
were not into it because its not the right way or the safe way to do it. so you want a car thats slammed, save your pennies and do it the right way and the smart way. its a method thats been tried and proven before. if you dont need more advice ask a mod to close the thread
Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Your research yielded you to cut your springs... wonderful... hope you got that info from vwvortex

You might be researching and thats cool man... seriously.. but your obviously not getting the right information. Your not the only one to cut their springs, and your not the only one to drop the car that low. The thing is those people took the right steps to get to where they are.

Im not sure what advice you have gotten, but it seems that when you gave your ideas to the people on here, they told you the flaws. You arent understanding how rotated the rotated mounts work. The "advice" you have received has you believing this will help the problem, and it wont. Removing the bump steers was a great idea (not)... Did the vw people tell you to do that too?

Youre listening to people who have a competely different type of suspension.. What they can do to their cars has nothing to do with ours.

You say we have thick skulls? You car might look lowered as **** (and really its just going to look ugly as **** anyway with that stupid ass exhaust on there) but the parts will keep breaking... and you with your "advice" can keep going back to a ******* VW forum for advice on a CHEVY COBALT...

God damn....
Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM

/\ Epic

Quick Reply: catastrophic failure: cv axles