Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch exploded...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch exploded...

So my clutch exploded on me this morning, that was after one dealer told me it wouldnt be covered under warranty, so in driving to the next dealer the clutch gave up. I was in 5th gear at about 60 when the car jerked forward and then the tach went to redline. I shifted to neutral and tried to shift into another gear, and no go. So Im riding the rental until they get it fixed...
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 AM

I will say that the clutch is the very worst thing our cars have. I just spent a whole weekend playing with an 04 musang gt and when shifted to a gear and let go, the car would jerk with authority. I was able to chirp the good from 1st to 2nd shifts. In my cobalt I never, ever feel a jerk. When i shift from 1st to 2nd in my balt the clutch just slips so bad even since i first got it. I even driven another ss/sc and it did the same thing. The clutches really suck bad in our cars IMO.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by drslash
I will say that the clutch is the very worst thing our cars have. I just spent a whole weekend playing with an 04 musang gt and when shifted to a gear and let go, the car would jerk with authority. I was able to chirp the good from 1st to 2nd shifts. In my cobalt I never, ever feel a jerk. When i shift from 1st to 2nd in my balt the clutch just slips so bad even since i first got it. I even driven another ss/sc and it did the same thing. The clutches really suck bad in our cars IMO.

i burn rubber all day long mister. clutch is a monster over here. thats when i hard shift though, which i rarely ever do.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 AM

I can smoke the tires on th 1-2 shift if im not carefull for starters all of these clutch problems that people have is because they dont know the clutch.

1st You have to shift a 3k + all of the time if you shift lower your clutch will get glazed

2nd and you must wind 1st out to redline, and you have to modulate your gas so that you do not break traction, if you break traction in 1st you will spin the clutch into second.

3rd You have to wait for the clutch to warm up

4th Sence the clutch is at the top of the pedal travel you have to make absolute shure that your foot is completly off the pedal on 1-2

On an side note our clutch is not that bad our pressure plate is the weak part.
hope that helps.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 AM

READ the FAQ on how to make your clutch stop slipping at the top of this forum.

And I hope you get your car back soon man.

later
Old 11-27-2006, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all the advice, but any other car i have driven, i never had to worry about that. Also, it seems all cobalts don't suffer from the problem.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 AM

This car has a temprimental clutch.
And thous that are not having the problem are driving the way described above.

Later
Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 AM

power shifting

my clutch has held strong through lots of punishment! i have burned it like 6 times. and still going strong. the jolt comes from great shifting i get it every time going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. its all about power shifting and clutch play!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by stagezero
my clutch has held strong through lots of punishment! i have burned it like 6 times. and still going strong. the jolt comes from great shifting i get it every time going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. its all about power shifting and clutch play!
If i drop the clutch after shifting from 1st to 2nd i get a rev to 7 grand and i get no were.i have to let it idle and and slip it to second again and punch it.

I hate this crappy clutch.

I had never a problem with my other cars, All sticksifts.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM

im not home right now, but can someone check this for me?

on our clutch pedal, where the pedal pushed the master cylinder (if it does), is there a bolt, and nut?

I installed a new clutch in my altima, and the clutch had to be adjusted with this nut and bolt, the problem was, the release bearing was slightly engaging the pressure plate, which was making the clutch slip....

Im just wondering if the pressure plate is slightly engaged, enough to slip the clutch on hard shifts....im not home right now, but if I was I would check it. If its not that, then I agree that the pressure plate is weak..
Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine seems ok right Now,, But I only have 3100 miles!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 AM

if you powershift, you are stupid...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Badmunky
READ the FAQ on how to make your clutch stop slipping at the top of this forum.

And I hope you get your car back soon man.

later
I understand where ur comin from in that FAQ, but in reality, that is hiding the problem. a stock car with a stock clutch shouldnt have to be driven like a bat out of hell to prevent clutch problems. i should be able to drive like a normal human being shifting at low rpms and not have problems.

to say that if i drive 'regular' and shift at 2000, 2500 rpms in neighborhood driving that im going to F up my clutch.. something is wrong with the clutch, not me
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PuSha050
I understand where ur comin from in that FAQ, but in reality, that is hiding the problem. a stock car with a stock clutch shouldnt have to be driven like a bat out of hell to prevent clutch problems. i should be able to drive like a normal human being shifting at low rpms and not have problems.

to say that if i drive 'regular' and shift at 2000, 2500 rpms in neighborhood driving that im going to F up my clutch.. something is wrong with the clutch, not me
Well bro welcome to the world of the performance vehicle. You're not going to shift a Jeep like you do a Cobalt nor would you shift a Kia Rio like a 350Z. There is no "Normal human being" shifting. This is a performance vehicle. Our clutches like the high rpms. You don't have to drive like a bat out of hell you just have to shift above 3,000rpms most of the time. That's it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM

i still dont agree.. but i guess we have differing opinions.. but thats cool wit me

but.... name another "performance vehicle" that cant take 2500 rpm neighborhood shifting like the cobalt cant

my uncles corvette ZR-1 could be shifted anywhere and drove fine... same thing with my friends SE-R spec-v, 01 Integra GS-R, 05 SRt-4, my old 95 eclipse (which never had a clutch problem after driving for 2 yrs), 2 MKIV GTI's.... etc...

all driven hard, and all driven easy, all shifted high, all shifted low... no clutch problems like the cobalt
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I m sorry to hear about that, that should NEVER happen.... no way that cannot be called a defect.

side note, mulberry... bartow chevrolet?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
So my clutch exploded on me this morning, that was after one dealer told me it wouldnt be covered under warranty, so in driving to the next dealer the clutch gave up. I was in 5th gear at about 60 when the car jerked forward and then the tach went to redline. I shifted to neutral and tried to shift into another gear, and no go. So Im riding the rental until they get it fixed...
if you dont mind me asking you but how much are they charging for parts and labor?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PuSha050
i still dont agree.. but i guess we have differing opinions.. but thats cool wit me

but.... name another "performance vehicle" that cant take 2500 rpm neighborhood shifting like the cobalt cant

my uncles corvette ZR-1 could be shifted anywhere and drove fine... same thing with my friends SE-R spec-v, 01 Integra GS-R, 05 SRt-4, my old 95 eclipse (which never had a clutch problem after driving for 2 yrs), 2 MKIV GTI's.... etc...

all driven hard, and all driven easy, all shifted high, all shifted low... no clutch problems like the cobalt
I hear you bro. There are thousands of us that have never had a clutch problem, me included. Then there are some with nothing but clutch problems even after it has been fixed so I don't know. The shifting at or around 3,000rps most of the time seems to work well. I do understand what you mean though.
I hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM

yea thanks... my FX300 seems to be holdin up pretty good after gettin a lotta kinks out... still not perfect tho
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM

i dont have a clutch problem but it annoys me sometimes when i let off the clutch a little it starts ticking like if you have a two story house how the floor creeks...im not sure if I need to take wd 40 to it or is something going on?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
Dont know if you got this worked out or not but the CLUTCH IS COVERED under warranty up to 50 THOUSAND MILES i took mine in to the dealer and they tried telling me it wasnt covered and i told them the were full of crap so they called GM and found out yes it is covered so I hope your not paying to get yours fixed Dealers are just so us to manual clutches not being covered they tell everyone that its not but it is covered on the COBALT SS/SC
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM

im haveing some major clutch issues i was drivein home and getting on the highway today i downshifted 2 second at about 35mph then i punched it as i merged on the highway and it just sliped all the way to redline i let it catch again and shifted to third im going about 55 now and i go WOT and it slips twice once at 4500rpm and again at like 5600. iv had it slip on me befor but not that bad. i only have 7500miles n my car and i shift over 3k like 90% of the time. i doubt theyed cover me under warrenty bc im only 18 and theyll say im raceing it which i have but not enough to burn out a clutch. i have always driven a stick and never burnt out a clutch
Old 01-22-2007, 05:44 PM

i was wondering if you have to install the stage 1 to get the stage 2 upgrade

i was just wondering if you had to install the stage 1 to get the stage 2?

Last edited by %SSme4life%; 01-22-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear everyone is have troubles with the clutchs. I for one have over 9,000 miles on my car and goofed around in more than I ever should have, plus let tons of people drive it (some had no clue how to drive a stick) and my clutch is holding up like a champ. When I say screwing around I mean like shifting in the high RPMs and even trying to get the car to take of without any gas at all, and always down shifting everwhere I go. I wanna burn mine out so I can get the Exedy stage 3 eventually...but it just won't go..it won't even slip for me!!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ghalterman_usmc
I'm sorry to hear everyone is have troubles with the clutchs. I for one have over 9,000 miles on my car and goofed around in more than I ever should have, plus let tons of people drive it (some had no clue how to drive a stick) and my clutch is holding up like a champ. When I say screwing around I mean like shifting in the high RPMs and even trying to get the car to take of without any gas at all, and always down shifting everwhere I go. I wanna burn mine out so I can get the Exedy stage 3 eventually...but it just won't go..it won't even slip for me!!
lol its because you want it to go

Quick Reply: Clutch exploded...