Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch exploded...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after seeing this stuff week in week out, ive come a conclusion based on one thing so far.

People who know how to drive stick in a powerful car....have great clutches, and no complaints.

coincidence?

I dont believe in coincidences.
I know ill probably sound like a *****....but someone has to pony up and tell the truth.

Spend some time learning how to drive a powerful stick, preferably with someone who knows how, not someone whos only driven grocery getters their whole life (read most moms and dads)
Instead of pretending you know how, and blaming it on the clutch.

A bad carpenter blames his tools.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok well i was taught how to drive by both my mom and dad. my dad has a 94 ford pick up with over 300k on the stock clutch, and then by my mom who has driven a 5.0 mustang 5speed for a long time niether of them have had clutch problems. haha maybe this will turn into a my dad is better then yours argument haha jkjk. but anyway they both have alot of experience driveing a stick. and are the two best ppl i kno as far as driveing goes. now im not saying that im as good as they are but im not bad enough to burn threw a clutch in 7000miles. anyway i dont think im at fault.. maybe i am, but i kno how i drive and i kno i shouldnt be haveing clutch issues
Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 PM

I have around 10k miles on mine and never slipped once. Driving like a mad men shifting close to red line or around 3.2k rpm.. never under 3k rpm.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by L82vette
im haveing some major clutch issues i was drivein home and getting on the highway today i downshifted 2 second at about 35mph then i punched it as i merged on the highway and it just sliped all the way to redline i let it catch again and shifted to third im going about 55 now and i go WOT and it slips twice once at 4500rpm and again at like 5600. iv had it slip on me befor but not that bad. i only have 7500miles n my car and i shift over 3k like 90% of the time. i doubt theyed cover me under warrenty bc im only 18 and theyll say im raceing it which i have but not enough to burn out a clutch. i have always driven a stick and never burnt out a clutch
They can't not warranty your clutch because of you age. If it is slipping take it in and get it fixed.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 AM

im haveing some major clutch issues i was drivein home and getting on the highway today i downshifted 2 second at about 35mph then i punched it as i merged on the highway and it just sliped all the way to redline i let it catch again and shifted to third im going about 55 now and i go WOT and it slips twice once at 4500rpm and again at like 5600. iv had it slip on me befor but not that bad. i only have 7500miles n my car and i shift over 3k like 90% of the time. i doubt theyed cover me under warrenty bc im only 18 and theyll say im raceing it which i have but not enough to burn out a clutch. i have always driven a stick and never burnt out a clutch
Now see that is the problem right there that an0malous is talking about.

Why would you even let your clutch slip all the way to redline? Problem solved.

These cars have to be driven a certain way. Not like that though. Not bashing dude just making a point.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM

^^^^^^^^agreex2 ........get it fixed they will warranty it cause mine went out at 11000 miles and they did the work for me. gm knows about the problems with the clutch just take it in
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
ok well i was taught how to drive by both my mom and dad. my dad has a 94 ford pick up with over 300k on the stock clutch, and then by my mom who has driven a 5.0 mustang 5speed for a long time niether of them have had clutch problems. haha maybe this will turn into a my dad is better then yours argument haha jkjk. but anyway they both have alot of experience driveing a stick. and are the two best ppl i kno as far as driveing goes. now im not saying that im as good as they are but im not bad enough to burn threw a clutch in 7000miles. anyway i dont think im at fault.. maybe i am, but i kno how i drive and i kno i shouldnt be haveing clutch issues
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your parents clutches probably don't slip... because they don't Hammer the gas down everytime a Honda with a fart can is beside them. I doubt either one has a Stage 2 in their cars... and I doubt either car has redline'd every gear. And they probably don't have a single performance upgrade on them... much less a huge wing. Maybe the Mustang.

But here's the thing. This clutch isn't meant for Drag racing... this CAR isn't meant for drag racing. It isn't meant to be drivin at low rpm's. It was designed and tested for spirited driving... twisty turns... driving at high RPM's. Get used to it. My clutch has Never slipped. My secret. 3k rpm shifts. And trust me... I beat the **** out of this car. Already blew one Tranny.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Now see that is the problem right there that an0malous is talking about.

Why would you even let your clutch slip all the way to redline? Problem solved.

These cars have to be driven a certain way. Not like that though. Not bashing dude just making a point.
well it wasnt all the way to redline more like 5700. but it was like the car wasnt in gear i even went back a checked to see if it was in gear then i check if i was still on the clutch.. it was in gear and i wasnt riding the clutch. maybe i should ease into the gas insted if flooring it right away. either way the clutch shouldnt slip like that.
no offense taken by your comment either maybe i really need to drive it differently its just that i already do the 3k+ shifting all the time except for 5th and sometimes 4th gear dpending on were im driveing and the speed limet
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
It was designed and tested for spirited driving... twisty turns... driving at high RPM's. Get used to it. My clutch has Never slipped. My secret. 3k rpm shifts. And trust me... I beat the **** out of this car. Already blew one Tranny.
so are a **** load of other cars, and those cars dont have clutch problems when driven under 3000 rpms... (see my earlier post)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM

and what do i have to do to be able to start my own threads every time i try to start one it tells me i dont have privlages or somethin
Old 01-23-2007, 12:14 PM

theres really no good way to give advice on this stuff because its hard to avoid the fact that it really is driver error.

Im not saying your a retard or anything man, but its just a matter of learning exactly what a car with the torque of an ss/sc will do.

If you punch it and you dont feel a kick in your pants, get off the accelerator. and fast.

this one is REALLY important....
when your in first and gunning it, and your ready to shift to second, theres a very high likelyhood you dont have traction, and probably spun alot through first.

What this means is, your speedometer is probably reading about 30-35mph, your tach is redlining, and you think its time for second. but in actual fact, if someone were to gun you with a radar your probably only doing about 20-25mph due to traction.

now this is what causes the problem.
when you shift from redline into second gear, normally your tach will go down to say 3.5-4k as you engage your clutch and away you go....
but if your only going 20-25mph, your tach is gonna want to be far lower in the RPM range. likely 2.5-3k.

now all of a sudden, your foot is into her hard, pushing every ft/lb of torque at that clutch, and its trying to find its way all the way from redline down to 2.5k RPM.....

Not going to happen.

Heres an easy way to understand what im talking about in real world terms.

next time you go for a drive, try to launch quickly in 2nd gear.

thats what your doing to your car, but imagine doing it with your throttle to the floor.

(once again im reminded that im going to have to make a video of this)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 PM

^^^^
i understand completly what you saying but in my situation i had been under normal power for a good 5 seconds or so.. i down shifeted to second right as i got on the ramp and i didnt hit the gas untill merging on the highway the clutch was caught already and when i hit the gas it broke loose. the situation you explained has happend to me a few times i spun threw 1st tryed to go hard into 2nd and the clutch didnt hold that is completly understandable and it is driver error. but from a roll the clutch should not be slipping like that
Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
after seeing this stuff week in week out, ive come a conclusion based on one thing so far.

People who know how to drive stick in a powerful car....have great clutches, and no complaints.

coincidence?

I dont believe in coincidences.
I know ill probably sound like a *****....but someone has to pony up and tell the truth.

Spend some time learning how to drive a powerful stick, preferably with someone who knows how, not someone whos only driven grocery getters their whole life (read most moms and dads)
Instead of pretending you know how, and blaming it on the clutch.

A bad carpenter blames his tools.

Then What you are saying is the cars come out of the Dealerships with no problems?

Then if thats the case then i am responsible for my sunroof not closing correctly, i am responsible for the rattlling the car makes at 70 mph, and im the one responsible for the tranny making noise at 80 riding next to the center divider.

Yup its all me not my car.

Man I rather push American then ride in a Import, but i dont want to get screwed for a car that started to slipp the clutch on the same day i bought it and all the obove mentioned problems.

Oh and my windshield cracked, first 2 days, and i had to fix that, i couldnt prove it wasnt my fault.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Freakenhye
Then What you are saying is the cars come out of the Dealerships with no problems?

Then if thats the case then i am responsible for my sunroof not closing correctly, i am responsible for the rattlling the car makes at 70 mph, and im the one responsible for the tranny making noise at 80 riding next to the center divider.

Yup its all me not my car.

Man I rather push American then ride in a Import, but i dont want to get screwed for a car that started to slipp the clutch on the same day i bought it and all the obove mentioned problems.

Oh and my windshield cracked, first 2 days, and i had to fix that, i couldnt prove it wasnt my fault.
if it slipped the day you bought it why didnt you take it right back.