Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch Pedal doesn't feel the same after dealership fixes tranny/clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Pedal doesn't feel the same after dealership fixes tranny/clutch

So long story short, car has been at the dealership for 4 months now getting the tranny rebuilt (and no, they refused to buy me a new one but have spent 4x the amount) and they just gave my car back to me but I have ran into a perdictament. They say I need a new clutch and flywheel but I just want to verify for myself that is the reason for this cause I drove the car to the dealership perfectly, no clutch slip, just lost 2nd gear.

What does it mean when my car is turned off and I can shift gears with my clutch in or out, but as soon as I start it, whether the clutch is in or out, it won't shift gears? My dealership is claiming that is the reason I need a new clutch/flywheel but I thought i'd check with some experts first. My clutch doesn't feel the same either. Almost feels like the only thing giving me resistance is the spring attached to the pedal, like the clutch line isn't fully pressurized yet or something.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

By "won't shift gears" does it hit a brick wall, or does it grind the living hell out of your gears whenever you try to engage?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
By "won't shift gears" does it hit a brick wall, or does it grind the living hell out of your gears whenever you try to engage?
Hit's a brick wall. No gear grinding at all
Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM

It sounds to me like your dealership (or whoever rebuilt the tranny) managed to mess up something in the process since this happens to others (my LS had an issue hitting a wall in 3rd) who have never had their tranny serviced. If the clutch wasn't disengaging chances are you wouldn't be hitting a wall but would end up with one hell of a grind instead, but I suppose it can't be ruled out all together.

If it's hitting a wall perhaps the syncros aren't lining up, or the teeth are misaligned and absolutely refusing to engage, but again I would expect a grinding in this case. I forget the thread but I read on here someone had an issue with misaligned fingers on their clutch plate (I think) and I believe they had similar problems, but I haven't been able to track it down again to confirm.

Permafried-
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

mine didnt feel the same either.I blew out 2nd gear completely,and the dealer rebuilt the whole thing plus put a new clutch in it and my pedal felt a little softer but i quickly got used to it and my shifter felt a little more accurate..kinda weird
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM

I think i'm gonna get a couple local mechanics that I can trust to take a look at it and give me there opinions. This dealership keeps getting sketchier to deal with everytime I go back their. Thanks for everyones opinions so far. I'm still open to any other suggestions or tests I can do to narrow it down.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the dealer has your ride for 4 MONTHS, you get the car back and its still broken?

They pull the transaxle, rebuild it, and put it back in....without even looking at the clutch which is very easy to access without the transaxle in the way. Something wrong with this picture.....they get the wash rack guy to do the work?

I would give them one chance to make it right. If they did nothing to solve the problem the next communication they got would be from my lawyer.

My $0.02
Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
So the dealer has your ride for 4 MONTHS, you get the car back and its still broken?

They pull the transaxle, rebuild it, and put it back in....without even looking at the clutch which is very easy to access without the transaxle in the way. Something wrong with this picture.....they get the wash rack guy to do the work?

I would give them one chance to make it right. If they did nothing to solve the problem the next communication they got would be from my lawyer.

My $0.02
No, they showed me the clutch and flywheel and it did have a few tiny blue heat spots and some wear on the clutch but nothing worth replacing over imo. The fact is I drove it there fine 4 months ago with the only issue being I lost 2nd gear. No slipping or anything.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alpine_Canada
No, they showed me the clutch and flywheel and it did have a few tiny blue heat spots and some wear on the clutch but nothing worth replacing over imo. The fact is I drove it there fine 4 months ago with the only issue being I lost 2nd gear. No slipping or anything.
Definitely suspect...are there any other dealers in the general area you could visit for a second opinion/warranty work, and if not, what about another shop even if it means laying down some cash?

I know the thought of spending money when you have a warranty sucks, but it sounds to me as though your dealer's shop is losing interest in the vehicle and are trying to take you for a ride or weasel out of repairing an issue they can't properly diagnose and address.

Permafried-
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to me, it sounds like a lack of pressure at the throw out bearing. but, IMO, the hydrolics in these clutches are ****, as i am once again taking my trans out to replace that very same part.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
to me, it sounds like a lack of pressure at the throw out bearing. but, IMO, the hydrolics in these clutches are ****, as i am once again taking my trans out to replace that very same part.
Ya I was kinda thinking it was something to do with the throw-out bearing too. I'm sure hoping its not that but I guess i'll take that over a new clutch/flywheel (as much as i'd love a new one)