Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch slippage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch slippage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys i have a question, yesterday i got a little happy and decided to go from first to second quick and when i did it wasnt good. i smelled a burned clutch like crazy. now if im cruising in any gear and give it some gas without touching the clutch pedal, it revs up and goes back down when i let off the gas. everybodys telling me the disk is worn out but it only has 12000 miles on it. granted i do have quite a bit of fun with it but it was grabbing good all day when i was driving normal. earlier, it was grabbing like the clutch was new. my question is could it be something with the hydraulics such as the cylinder or the pressure plate??? im taking it up to the dealer tomorrow to see if they will cover it under warranty and if they dont then spec stage 2+, here i come. any help would be good. thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM

try shifting at around 3-3.5k whil;e shifting normally, your clutch is prolly just glazed.
if that dosent work then you may need a new clutch...

the driver mod does hellp alleviate this frustration tho!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 PM

Skip the spec and get a exedy.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM

i did the 3k cure.. and it worked til i put avid motor mounts in.. now its back
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by tREBs
try shifting at around 3-3.5k whil;e shifting normally, your clutch is prolly just glazed.
if that dosent work then you may need a new clutch...

the driver mod does hellp alleviate this frustration tho!
ohh yeah i been shifting all day today at like 3 grand and boy let me tell you, i been driving that car like a granny because i dont want to screw the clutch up anymore. u think i will be good for a week or so till i get a new one??? spec stage 2+ will work with the stock flywheel as long as i get it resurfaced right???
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridemlow03
ohh yeah i been shifting all day today at like 3 grand and boy let me tell you, i been driving that car like a granny because i dont want to screw the clutch up anymore. u think i will be good for a week or so till i get a new one??? spec stage 2+ will work with the stock flywheel as long as i get it resurfaced right???
just take it easy. The more you make it slip the less it grabs the next time.

Exactly how many miles do you have?

Take EVERYTHING off the car before you go to the dealer. They see those traction bars and you bet your ass they will tell you to GTFO
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by damien
just take it easy. The more you make it slip the less it grabs the next time.

Exactly how many miles do you have?

Take EVERYTHING off the car before you go to the dealer. They see those traction bars and you bet your ass they will tell you to GTFO
yeah im in the process now just got done doing my mounts. i get off at 6 30 tomorrow morning so that will give me enough time to take off the traction bars which sucks causee i had them all tuned perfect. ohh well i can just measure them so i have it all correct again. i hope they install a new one though for free that will be good. i have right around 12000 miles on it. not sure exactly.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Honestly, I doubt they will do anything for you but try bending you over without the lube.

It's always worth a shot though.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM

ok guys well i have good news. free clutch under the warranty. i love it. the guys asked me what happened and i told him "the other day i was driving and shifted into 4 and went to speed up a little and it just revved up and fell back down when i let off the gas. now it does it in all the gears. its a highway car as you can see, i have around 12000 miles on the car in less then 5 months. if you guys aren't willing to cover it under warranty just put it back together and tell me whats wrong and ill drive it next store(my brothers shop at mercedes) and ill have him help me replace it." they looked at it and was like now the disc is warrren down really bad and its almost to the point where its gonna seize up on you. he said that being how it seems like a highway car and you have nothing doone to the drivetrain, suspension or engine that would void the warranty, its a default in the clutch and we will replace it under warranty for free. i was so happy but now im driving a pos aveo hatchback. ohh well its a car until i get mine back which is projected early tomorrow or at the lastest saturday. they said it should be tomorrow unless they run into problems. thank god for having a good dealership and i highly recommend anybody in the charlotte area to take their car to city chevrolet. good company and will help you out alot.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now make sure you drive it right on this one :P
Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by SSteveSC
i did the 3k cure.. and it worked til i put avid motor mounts in.. now its back
how the motor/ trany mounts do you that?
and how can the mounts can void you the warranty???
Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
now make sure you drive it right on this one :P
yeah i know imma drive it right this time. ill actually break it in and not peel out of the parking lot. lol. imma break it in and drive it normal now and only get on it every once in a while.

Originally Posted by Gabi
how the motor/ trany mounts do you that?
and how can the mounts can void you the warranty???
its hard to say how mounts can void your warranty but if they can somehow prove that something went wrong because of the mounts they will void whatever your trying to get fixed. best thing to do is put your original mounts back on before you go to the dealer so they dont know.

Last edited by ridemlow03; 10-05-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

just down shift when ur coming off of the freeway for example from 5th to 3rd..the clutch loves that tough spin and it will scuffin it up some to help with that slipping
Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM

I have almost 27K on the stock clutch, so it's all about learning how to drive this car. She is much different then driving other manual trannys...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
I have almost 27K on the stock clutch, so it's all about learning how to drive this car. She is much different then driving other manual trannys...
i know every tranny is different. i learned this one in the first week and was shifting right at 3k. my problem is that it was faster then my v6 eclipse and i was having too much fun power shifting, launching, and at the drag strip. lol but now its time to give it a rest.