Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Cryo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cryo...

Yeah so after busting my second driver side axle (this time on street tires, and again with no wheelhop) i am considering having my new axles Cryod. Anyone had this kind of thing done before? I know ive read some good things on it, but want to see who all has personal experience with it on here. I would think I need to take off the rubber boots and degrease the ends on the axles. Is this correct? Any intelligent help is appreciated haha
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/CobaltParts.ivnu
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blktrax
$800 for axles? **** that. We'll take $800 and shove it up their asses.

$800 for axles is absurd.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Ive seen the mikroniting process work with great success . I dont know how it compares cost wise to cryo though . I know I can get a ring and pinion mikro'ed for $75 . Here s link with lots of info , so u can base your own judgement .

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML

I want to try this with stock axles . I think no wheel hop , slicks and the mikronite , the stock axles would be happy campers in a high 12 car .
Old 09-18-2007, 02:15 PM

^^^ yea i agree man.

blttrax i know about those axles, and i know $800 for 2 axles is ******* absurd
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM

cheap bastards, u guys want to go fast right, so u blow about 3 sets of axels will end up costing u a set of 1 of the driveshaftshop which will be able to handle the abuse. its common sence. if u guys want to go fast cough up money other wise dont complain. and umm check with vendors i'm sure they are able to get em cheaper.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
cheap bastards, u guys want to go fast right, so u blow about 3 sets of axels will end up costing u a set of 1 of the driveshaftshop which will be able to handle the abuse. its common sence. if u guys want to go fast cough up money other wise dont complain. and umm check with vendors i'm sure they are able to get em cheaper.
dude pull the dick out of your ass, and possibly think before you type. im in college, and try to find as good a bargain as possible. the first axle i got, i got shipped for $125, and am getting 2 used ones for $100. i dont have $800 to spend on axles, and if you can do the math thats only $225 for axles thus far. who all was complaining, i only remember asking for opinions, dont be an *******.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM

well said^^^^^
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
dude pull the dick out of your ass, and possibly think before you type. im in college, and try to find as good a bargain as possible. the first axle i got, i got shipped for $125, and am getting 2 used ones for $100. i dont have $800 to spend on axles, and if you can do the math thats only $225 for axles thus far. who all was complaining, i only remember asking for opinions, dont be an *******.
listen here ass munch been there done that went to college and modified cars while i was in college, graduated college and still modifying cars. one thing u will learn is do it right the first time. if u cant afford something save up for it and get the best product available. and if still cant afford it dont modify your damn car cuz we dont want to listen to people that cant afford to modify a car complain that a part is to damn expensive alright. Ive been in the same shoes as u went through 4 years of college, spent 1200 on full coilover system for my cavalier, spent 2000 bucks on rebuilding my trans w/ a quaife LSD, ACT Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel. Upgraded Synchros the whole nine yards. I spent money to do things right the first time so i didnt have to deal with it blowing up on me later down the line, and to beable to handle my abuse. and i'm not being an *******, well yeah i am oh well. i'm stating to general public to stop complaining about price of stuff, just simply say i cant afford it dont say that its overly expensive cuz you cant afford it when others can. I will admit 800 bucks is alot but i bet it would be 800 worry free bucks well spent, knowing that my **** wont blow. dont come to me with that college excuse cuz all that is, is an excuse. I'm tellin u from first hand experience and from seeing everyone **** up by half assing it and ending up spending a crap more money down the line then they would have if they just bought quality stuff the first time. end of rant.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

listen here ass munch been there done that went to college and modified cars while i was in college, graduated college and still modifying cars. one thing u will learn is do it right the first time. if u cant afford something save up for it and get the best product available. and if still cant afford it dont modify your damn car cuz we dont want to listen to people that cant afford to modify a car complain that a part is to damn expensive alright. Ive been in the same shoes as u went through 4 years of college, spent 1200 on full coilover system for my cavalier, spent 2000 bucks on rebuilding my trans w/ a quaife LSD, ACT Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel. Upgraded Synchros the whole nine yards. I spent money to do things right the first time so i didnt have to deal with it blowing up on me later down the line, and to beable to handle my abuse. and i'm not being an *******, well yeah i am oh well. i'm stating to general public to stop complaining about price of stuff, just simply say i cant afford it dont say that its overly expensive cuz you cant afford it when others can. I will admit 800 bucks is alot but i bet it would be 800 worry free bucks well spent, knowing that my **** wont blow. dont come to me with that college excuse cuz all that is, is an excuse. I'm tellin u from first hand experience and from seeing everyone **** up by half assing it and ending up spending a crap more money down the line then they would have if they just bought quality stuff the first time. end of rant.
you went to college and put sentences like those together? so who gives a **** what YOU did in college, I can not afford it, end of story. if you are tired of people bitching about prices, make a thread on it. don't ruin my thread asking an intelligent question because you think you are the end of ends in car modding. i completely agree that doing it right the first time is the best thing to do. guess what? if i could afford to "do it right the first time around," i would have bought a v-8 rwd car for drag racing. im trying to do the best i can with what i have, if you cant respect that then you have problems.

/end reply to douchebag
Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you went to college and put sentences like those together? so who gives a **** what YOU did in college, I can not afford it, end of story. if you are tired of people bitching about prices, make a thread on it. don't ruin my thread asking an intelligent question because you think you are the end of ends in car modding. i completely agree that doing it right the first time is the best thing to do. guess what? if i could afford to "do it right the first time around," i would have bought a v-8 rwd car for drag racing. im trying to do the best i can with what i have, if you cant respect that then you have problems.

/end reply to douchebag
Handled well. +rep
Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM

nice find
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM

$800 is disgustingly expensive

sorry. im agreeing on this one wholeheartedly.
its a huge reason times are higher for ss/scs
everyone is scared to run slicks, and cant afford $800 axles on top of the $600 it would cost for the rims/slicks.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM

listen here guy, dont question my education on this forum. It's a forum, who in there right mind actually writes, types what ever properly? I'm not doing an essay, a research paper, a proposal any of the sorts.

my main thing is you come on here someone suggests the driveshaft shop axels and you say that they are over priced or absurd. come on now, just because you cant afford it doesnt mean the price is absurd. I've been in your shoes before but never bashed a company for making a product that was expensive, now for quality on the other yes i'd argue that, but not price. you got these used axels for 100 bucks now what if those axels the dude seriously jacked them up? and u barely do a 3k clutch dump and they go bye bye. thats a waist of 100 bucks right? if your going to replace em w/ oem axels might as well get new oem axels dont get used cuz you dont know what quality they are in unless u know the guy personaly. any ways best of luck on your modding hopefully everything works out for you.

oh yeah and dont think a RWD V8 doesnt need upgrading cuz my camaro first thing that needs to go is the Rear end. You say the SS S/C cv axels suck try a good ol' GM Rear end. and thats like 2k + for a performance one
Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM

there is a shop in arizona who replaced the shaft in pairs of stock axles for $80.
and the multiple people who have them are doing slicks clutch dumps....6k burnouts...and havent broke yet.

sorry.
$800 is still bullshit.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM

This thread is eThuggin'.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
$800 is disgustingly expensive

sorry. im agreeing on this one wholeheartedly.
its a huge reason times are higher for ss/scs
everyone is scared to run slicks, and cant afford $800 axles on top of the $600 it would cost for the rims/slicks.
I know its alot of money but its part of the game. you have to start off thinking what can I do to put the power to the ground reliably, first thing should be your drive train, and suspension. then work on getting slicks.

you think 800 + 600 is alot try 2-3k for a rear plus another 600 for rims and slicks. people do it. its part of the game. 800 bucks isnt that rediculous when people spend 800 bucks on exhaust systems, headers, and who knows what else. just think thats 800 bucks that you dont have to worry about breaking until you hit 400-500whp. which I havnt seen any LSJ hit yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM

the only reason they are $800 is they have no market competition.

period.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM

the only reason they are $800 is they have no market competition.

period.
I'm sure there are other competitors that make axles for the SRT-4 right? and yet they are still 800 bucks? regardless be glad that you at least have the option to upgrade the axles. other wise you'd be SOL once you reach the 300whp mark. and as far as 6000rpm clutch dumps and still handling it consider it luck. cuz we all know that these axles aren't the best and can go pretty easily, its the luck of the draw really. some will be able to handle 400whp on stock axles some wont be able to handle stock power.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

there is a shop in arizona who replaced the shaft in pairs of stock axles for $80.
and the multiple people who have them are doing slicks clutch dumps....6k burnouts...and havent broke yet.

sorry.
$800 is still bullshit.
You know the name/site of the web site? I want to look into someone doing that around here.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 PM

listen here guy, dont question my education on this forum. It's a forum, who in there right mind actually writes, types what ever properly? I'm not doing an essay, a research paper, a proposal any of the sorts.

my main thing is you come on here someone suggests the driveshaft shop axels and you say that they are over priced or absurd. come on now, just because you cant afford it doesnt mean the price is absurd. I've been in your shoes before but never bashed a company for making a product that was expensive, now for quality on the other yes i'd argue that, but not price. you got these used axels for 100 bucks now what if those axels the dude seriously jacked them up? and u barely do a 3k clutch dump and they go bye bye. thats a waist of 100 bucks right? if your going to replace em w/ oem axels might as well get new oem axels dont get used cuz you dont know what quality they are in unless u know the guy personaly. any ways best of luck on your modding hopefully everything works out for you.

oh yeah and dont think a RWD V8 doesnt need upgrading cuz my camaro first thing that needs to go is the Rear end. You say the SS S/C cv axels suck try a good ol' GM Rear end. and thats like 2k + for a performance one
holy cow, did you take an english class in college either? i didnt ask for suggestions on what to do now, asked who had experience with cryo. did you miss that whole part? ive known about those $800 ripoffs for a while now, and if i wanted to know anything about them i would have asked. i didnt say the price was absurd because i could not afford them, they are absurd because they are $800. when did i talk **** about their shop? yes captain intelligence, i do know the guy personally and he is a respected member on here. congratulations on just having your entire post torn apart

I know its alot of money but its part of the game. you have to start off thinking what can I do to put the power to the ground reliably, first thing should be your drive train, and suspension. then work on getting slicks.

you think 800 + 600 is alot try 2-3k for a rear plus another 600 for rims and slicks. people do it. its part of the game. 800 bucks isnt that rediculous when people spend 800 bucks on exhaust systems, headers, and who knows what else. just think thats 800 bucks that you dont have to worry about breaking until you hit 400-500whp. which I havnt seen any LSJ hit yet.
you are still completely missing the point. 2k could be alot for one person and chump change for another, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything i was asking. its called reading comprehension genius, try it out. just fyi, i havent spent $800 on anything on my car, i have shopped around for the best deals and thats why im running a $500 FULL exhaust. Im trying to spend my money in the most effecient way possible, and $800 axles are out of the question.

now do you have anything intelligent to add about cryo?

Last edited by hatrickstu; 09-18-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

hatrickstu > you.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM

and dont forget it!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 PM

holy cow, did you take an english class in college either? i didnt ask for suggestions on what to do now, asked who had experience with cryo. did you miss that whole part? ive known about those $800 ripoffs for a while now, and if i wanted to know anything about them i would have asked. i didnt say the price was absurd because i could not afford them, they are absurd because they are $800. when did i talk **** about their shop? yes captain intelligence, i do know the guy personally and he is a respected member on here. congratulations on just having your entire post torn apart

you are still completely missing the point. 2k could be alot for one person and chump change for another, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything i was asking. its called reading comprehension genius, try it out. just fyi, i havent spent $800 on anything on my car, i have shopped around for the best deals and thats why im running a $500 FULL exhaust. Im trying to spend my money in the most effecient way possible, and $800 axles are out of the question.

now do you have anything intelligent to add about cryo?
Yeah you really tore my whole post apart, please bro relax. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my intelligence unlike you. you wanted to throw out the whole i'm in college deal i stated to you that i've been there before. thats all I stated and your the one who began questioning my intelligence. 800 bucks imho is not a rip off for the quality you get, yes its expensive even for me. i'm not saying that I have a crap load of money, i'm just stating that I think its worth the 800 bucks thats all.

now back to topic at hand. cryo treating all depends on how much you can get it done for. what kind of power are you pushing and what slicks are you using? it really all depends. anomlous how ever you spell his name says some company that does some thing to the shaft for 80 bucks seem to be stronger, maybe start with that and do cryo treating as well. cryo treating can be worth it in handling abuse a lil longer, how long is the question. no one knows. but in my opinion if you can get the cryo treating done fairly cheap then i'd say go for it, the axles will last longer and be a lil bit stronger.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Yeah you really tore my whole post apart, please bro relax. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my intelligence unlike you. you wanted to throw out the whole i'm in college deal i stated to you that i've been there before. thats all I stated and your the one who began questioning my intelligence. 800 bucks imho is not a rip off for the quality you get, yes its expensive even for me. i'm not saying that I have a crap load of money, i'm just stating that I think its worth the 800 bucks thats all.

now back to topic at hand. cryo treating all depends on how much you can get it done for. what kind of power are you pushing and what slicks are you using? it really all depends. anomlous how ever you spell his name says some company that does some thing to the shaft for 80 bucks seem to be stronger, maybe start with that and do cryo treating as well. cryo treating can be worth it in handling abuse a lil longer, how long is the question. no one knows. but in my opinion if you can get the cryo treating done fairly cheap then i'd say go for it, the axles will last longer and be a lil bit stronger.
see if you would have just typed the second paragraph from the beginning you could have saved a page of dumb ****. im not running slicks, im on street tires. i dont know how much i can get it done for, but was told it would probaby be around 50 bucks for them both. im probably not pushing more than 260 whp.