Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Do short throw shifters really tear up your tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do short throw shifters really tear up your tranny?

hey guys just wondering.... i have a hurst short throw shift and it is starting to wobble and feel uncomfortable. i was thinking about going back to stock because im hearing additional comments of short shifter tearing up syncros. do they really put additional stress on out transmission because of the shorter throw? anyone experienced tranny failures due to short throws??
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM

No, but the wobble is because of the set screw in the side of the shifter. As long as it is adjusted correctly, it will not hurt the transmission in any way.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM

i have JB weld but im thinking of going b and M and selling the hurst
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a B and M and have had no issues with it other than it changed the location of shifter a little bit, I always have to double check to make sure its in "N" cuz at first glace it looks more like its in 1rst.
It made the shifts a liitle crisper to do, I think its the wieghted shift knob but the actual throw only shorten up a bit, I think the stock SS/SC had a good shifter to start with.

Momo Makes wieghted reverse lock out shift knobs, you might want to take a look at getting one and putting your stock shifter back in before spending the money on a B and M, IMO it would have the same results
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM

i have the twm short throw and i love it better than stock i would try to go with twm instead
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Moved to drivetrain, please post in the correct section.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I might get one, I prefer the ball-type shift knob as opposed to the rectangle thing that these cars come with stock. I compared my buddy's STS to my stock and the throws didn't seem THAT much shorter, but they felt crisp and I loved the knob (no homo).
Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jkunzy1690
hey guys just wondering.... i have a hurst short throw shift and it is starting to wobble and feel uncomfortable. i was thinking about going back to stock because im hearing additional comments of short shifter tearing up syncros. do they really put additional stress on out transmission because of the shorter throw? anyone experienced tranny failures due to short throws??
A short shifter will not wear out your transmission or the synchros any faster than the stock shifter. The shifter is very isolated from the transmission with the shifter cables and the plastic shift assembly so the shorter throw does not adversely affect the transmission. Hard shifting, power shifting and shifting without the clutch fully depressed is what leads to synchro wear.

The "wobble" you feel in your shifter is because of the design of the reverse lockout mechanism on this shifter, metal sliding directly on metal, and because the main pivot ball of this shifter is connected to the shifter shaft only by a set screw instead of welding.

im thinking of going b and M and selling the hurst
They are the same design, you would most probably run in to the same issues as your current shifter.

You may want to check out our new TWM Cobalt SS/SC Short shifter, we have had nothing but great feedback on this product since the release. Our unique design uses delrin bushings and o-rings between the reverse lockout mechanism and the shifter shaft for smooth operation and the shifter pivot ball is TIG welded to the shaft for maximum durability. It is also available with an upgraded weighted shift knob for a super smooth shift feel.

Thanks,

Frank
TWM Performance
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM

I have the hurst and even tho I Love it... I really have come to dislike the wobble. I think I could look into this TWM in the spring.... That and my little brother got one for his 2.2 and loves it. So I guess we'll see....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 AM

yes anything that helps you shift faster and not wait for the engine revs to drop on the up shift will hurt the (relatively fragile) synchros. the T/C has a greatly improved shifter. 90% of the issues with short shifters come from improper cable adjustment and drivers forcing the (quick) shift. thats life...I have two B&M shifters on the shelf. wanna buy them?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^^What he said.....synchros only work if they have time to do so, a short throw shifter when used at the same speed as a stock shifter(how fast you move your hand), forces the gear change quicker than stock. Synchros are just little tiny clutches, they can only do so much work.....its when you forced them to work quicker that they fail Short Throw Shifters will wear out synchros quicker than a stock shifter if your comparing apples to apples