Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Does clutch pedal need adjusting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does clutch pedal need adjusting?

Hey guys. I have a 05 cobalt with the 5 speed. Some girl hit me and it had been in the shop the past week so i drove a 5 speed corolla. I got it back and it feels like the pedal should be adjusted. Its always been low but it has to be all the way to the floor to engage and as soon as i let the slightest amount off of it , it starts to pull and take off. It also makes a little "click" when its in so I dont know if the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted or if im fine like it is. I just fear ill mess up the tranny one day by not pushing it quite all the way to the floor. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no adjustment. You can try bleeding the clutch to get an earlier engagement. 1. Use the conventional method of pump up the pedal and hold it to the floor while a helper opens the bleeder and closes it after the pressure is released. Repeat about 15 times or until you are sure all air is out. Make sure you have a fresh bottle of brake fluid. The brake master cylinder and the clutch system share the same reservoir. Do NOT let it get low. IMO that is the hard way. 2. Find someone with a mityvac hand vacuum pump and get a rubber stopper big enough to cover the opening in the master cylinder with the cap off. pump up a vacuum of about 20 in. Hg and get inside and cycle the clutch pedal real fast about 20 times (to break up the air bubbles). Get out and watch the air bubbles go into the vacuum line. relieve pressure, get back into the car and pump up the pedal to see how it is (also note that you need to pump up the brake pedal also). Again make sure that the fluid level in the reservoir does not get low. Repeat the vacuum bleeding until the air is gone. Note that you will always get small air bubbles. You want to bleed out the ones that are about 6-8mm long. It should not take more that 3-4 cycles of the vacuum bleeding to get all of the air out. I just did mine in one cycle.
The following users liked this post:
Newfoundlight (08-10-2024)