Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...
View Poll Results: Downshift or neutral
Downshift
52.50%
neutral
47.50%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Downshift or neutral??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That might apply to a road course, but when your on a highway, and something is suddenly in front of you or coming toward you, you don't have much choice but to try and stop. If you try to accelerate around it, your going to be in the ditch, another car, or the embankment. I mean, it's only two lanes most of the time, where exactly are you going to steer around something? Have you ever been in an accident by the way?

Personally, I do a combination of downshift and neutral, so I'm not really arguing, but how can you argue w/ the owner's manual? Your info. regarding an automatic transmission isn't entirely correct. You say it's always in the correct gear, but it's not magic. That would be a CVT. if your going 30mph in 4th gear, and step on the gas, the tranny is going to drop a gear or two so you can accelerate. Likewise, if you coasted to a stop from 60 mph in 4th gear, you're going to tell me that the tranny is going to keep it in high gear all the way to the stop? I don't think so.

I wasn't implying that automatics don't downshift, because they obviously do, I was referring specifically to the higher rpms. You never FEEL or hear the car downshifting, but it is doing it.

And as far as your MPG claim, you may get better gas mileage than most, but it would be even better if you always coasted to a stop. There is very little load on the engine when coasting (low RPMs), and downshifting keeps it in the 1500 to 2500 range most likely. It may only be a slight difference, but there is no way that downshifting is BETTER for fuel economy than coasting. It's simple physics.

Last edited by N8s07SS; 05-14-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N8s07SS
That might apply to a road course, but when your on a highway, and something is suddenly in front of you or coming toward you, you don't have much choice but to try and stop. If you try to accelerate around it, your going to be in the ditch, another car, or the embankment. I mean, it's only two lanes most of the time, where exactly are you going to steer around something? Have you ever been in an accident by the way?
As I said, unless it's something completely unavoidable. If there's no way around it, then yeah, you want to hit it at as low a rate of speed as possible. I didn't say I hit the gas regardless of anything that happens in front of me...BUT, if I have room to swerve, my foot is on the gas and ready to go, NOT on the brake. Even with ABS, it is EXTREMELY easy to lose control of a car by slamming on the brakes, not to mention you lose a large portion of your steering ability as well.

Most of our roads are 4 lane here, so you've got two lanes of traffic in your direction and that's more than enough room to avoid something, so long as you're always aware of other drivers on the road. In ten years of driving, no, I have NEVER had an at-fault accident.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM

ok what the hell does rev-match mean lol im sure its simple but my little baby infant mind isnt understanding
Old 05-14-2007, 04:02 PM

I double clutch and downshift. Zero clutch wear that way.

I agree. Another thing people should think about is gas mileage. You're going to get better gas mileage coasting than you are downshifting. I don't think that it would be the clutch I would be worried about. Does downshifting at higher rpms hurt the engine at all? It seems like it would, why don't automatics do it?
When you are not touching the gas pedal your engine is receiving zero gas if you are above a certain RPM. Not sure what it is for cobalts but for lots of cars it's around 1500 rpm.

Last edited by b-spot; 05-14-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by b-spot
I double clutch and downshift. Zero clutch wear that way.

When you are not touching the gas pedal your engine is receiving zero gas if you are above a certain RPM. Not sure what it is for cobalts but for lots of cars it's around 1500 rpm.
I know what you're saying, but it can't be receiving ZERO gas, otherwise it would be stalled. That's basically all I was saying, that the 1500 or so RPMs that the engine is idling at while coasting is using less fuel than the 2000 or so RPMs you'd be at from downshifting. That is all.

As for Alleycat, I guess I misread your post. Obviously if something is AVOIDABLE, then yes, you may need to have the ability to accelerate. I was thinking more about the times when you know you are going to hit something. I have been in two accidents that were completely unavoidable, both times w/ elderly drivers pulling out in front of me, and I had nowhere to go. Luckily neither were in the SS/SC, but the wife's car.

Originally Posted by SSCobalt~SSZ24
ok what the hell does rev-match mean lol im sure its simple but my little baby infant mind isnt understanding
This is what they're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_declutch

Although I'm not sure why it's called "double clutch?" Basically just match the revs to what they will be in the next gear, so that the shift is smooth.

Last edited by N8s07SS; 05-14-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

anyone who downshifts over braking must be rich
Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
anyone who downshifts over braking must be rich
agreed. im not a race car driver, nor am i sponsored. so i dont get free clutches, gears, trannys etc... cars dont run off gas, they run off money. id rather buy brake pads.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I downshift, but never into 1st. I do it to rough up the clutch, and keep it strong, and to assist the brakes. 28k miles of ME driving, and still stock clutch and brakes. Both work fine. Brakes about 2/3-3/4 gone, but clutch seems fine.

My clutch usually only slips because it can't handle the HP, so I try not to accelerate hard from 1st-2nd.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psykostevo
I downshift, but never into 1st. I do it to rough up the clutch, and keep it strong, and to assist the brakes. 28k miles of ME driving, and still stock clutch and brakes. Both work fine. Brakes about 2/3-3/4 gone, but clutch seems fine.

My clutch usually only slips because it can't handle the HP, so I try not to accelerate hard from 1st-2nd.
To further clarify things, when you downshift to rough the clutch up, do you slowly let out the clutch pedal till it is released, or do you blip the gas as your letting the clutch out?

I personally do both, blip the gas to revmatch if im going to go WOT, or I slowly release the clutch until it is fully engaged if im just trying to downshift without going WOT.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rev matching ftw.

neutral coasting is dangerous. I strongly discourage doing it.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 PM

I agree. Another thing people should think about is gas mileage. You're going to get better gas mileage coasting than you are downshifting. I don't think that it would be the clutch I would be worried about. Does downshifting at higher rpms hurt the engine at all? It seems like it would, why don't automatics do it?
That is not correct. You will get better gas mileage by downshifting to a stop rather than coasting in neutral. Deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) enables during a downshift. Since the wheels are directly connected to the engine, there is no need to add fuel. When you are in neutral, fuel is added to keep the engine running obviously.

Coasting to a stop is not only dangerous but illegal in my state.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM

DFCO + Vibrant Cat Delete = Win.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:33 PM

Do you usually step on the gas to avoid an obstacle?!?!?!? Usually in an emergency you're stopping, not speeding up, so I don't think that's a very useful argument.
depends on the situation... correct? Not all emergencies require people to stop, that is the average persons way of handling an emergency situation
Me...I like to keep the morons behind me! Yes, I am constantly speeding to stay ahead of trouble
So... unless I have to stop... I am accelerating around/away from the potential situation!!

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I'd say at least 80% of the time I accelerate to avoid an obstacle, unless it's something completely unavoidable or I'm limited in run off room and can't maneuver as well. you're more in control of a car when you're on the gas than when you're on the brake. If you see something and jam on the brakes, you're at the mercy of your tires and the weight of your car is working AGAINST you.
yep me too

Last edited by suburbanrobot; 05-14-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM

I always put it in neutral when i stop i got 40k plus on my car and my clutch is still strong. I very very little downshift
Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM

who the hell taught you people to drive.

seriously.
this is no joke. whoever taught you that needs a kick in the nuts.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous

seriously.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous

seriously.
who are you referring to?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM

anyone who thinks neutral coasting is "a-ok"

pros- None.
safes gas? no
Saves engine wear? no
Saves clutch wear? no (providing you know how to rev match when downshifting)

Cons- Wears brakes much faster
- if you get rear ended youll take off like a rocket
- less control in an emergency

Its all together a reckless thing to do.
and whoever taught you that its ok needs to give their head a shake.

My job, and im sure most intelligent workplaces....will fire you on the spot if you are caught neutral coasting. whether in one of our 400 ton trucks....or a half ton pickup.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
Coasting to a stop is not only dangerous but illegal in my state.
Huh? What is the rationale for making coasting to a stop illegal?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

comin to red light i pop it out of gear and just brake...my synrchos got fucked up on my last car from downshifting frm 2nd-1st to a stop...it doesnt go right away,but after a period of time ur notice it
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM

cuz its horribly unsafe in alot of situations.

what if your coasting to a stop and you get bumped hard in the ass comin up to a red light.
you will get shot further into the intersection if your in neutral, because your freerolling.

Your engine reduces your brake distance.
being in neutral increases it.

what if your in an accident while your coasting and your knocked out.
your car will continue rolling if your in neutral.

theres an inordinate amount of situations where its just stupidity to neutral coast.

Its dangerous and illegal.

please dont do it.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Besides it being unsafe, its considered not being in control of your vehicle. If you get caught doing it during a drivers test, you will not pass.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Super_SS
comin to red light i pop it out of gear and just brake...my synrchos got fucked up on my last car from downshifting frm 2nd-1st to a stop...it doesnt go right away,but after a period of time ur notice it
FYI, It is not good to downshift into first!!!! It is bad for the tranny...
Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by suburbanrobot
FYI, It is not good to downshift into first!!!! It is bad for the tranny...
I heard your synchros love it. NOT!

As for the coasting, I agree.....don't do it. I just never realized it was illegal. The people who usually coast will also probably notice their clutch slipping more. Just a hypothesis.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 PM

I heard your synchros love it. NOT!
I'm not the one downshifting into first

Quick Reply: Downshift or neutral??