Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Downshifting into 1st=Rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
LAWL

I wish it was that (I think)

Nah, it was my Mitsubitchy
hahaha!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only time i downshift to 1st in in parking lots .but i have noticed the dead spot on 2nd , the car seems to just bog , and struggles to get back up to speed, i think it might have somthing to do with the stage 2 tune, becasue my wifes redline dosnt do it. i just take corners faster now ,lol
Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Downshifting into first, even rev matching = EXTREMELY unhappy synchros.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Downshifting into first, even rev matching = EXTREMELY unhappy synchros.
yep. i don't see how you can even do it at driving speed. you must have to REALLY force it in.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
yep. i don't see how you can even do it at driving speed. you must have to REALLY force it in.
My car wouldn't let me even if I tried to.

I never understood how people go from 2nd into 1st by accident when racing either lol. They must have jammed that bitch in hardcore!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phatnackySS
the only time i downshift to 1st in in parking lots .but i have noticed the dead spot on 2nd , the car seems to just bog , and struggles to get back up to speed, i think it might have somthing to do with the stage 2 tune, becasue my wifes redline dosnt do it. i just take corners faster now ,lol
Mine does the same thing. If it is below 2k rpm, you just have to feather the throttle so it doesn't have a seizure before getting in it's sweet spot.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deathscythe
Mine does the same thing. If it is below 2k rpm, you just have to feather the throttle so it doesn't have a seizure before getting in it's sweet spot.
1st gear is short as it is. you probably waste more time and are hurting the car by shifting to 1st for what, less than a second and then shiftint to 2nd gear. it takes the same amount of time to just hit the gas and get up to speed in 2nd, and you don't have to worry about shifting twice and possibly braking something.

i don't get why people don't understand that shifting into 1st is bad while your'e driving. it's not meant for that. and the fact that you have to do tricks to get it into 1st should be an indicator of that.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM

I never downshift into 1st. If the car is moving at all I'll use 2nd. 1st gear in these things is only to get going from a dead stop. The only time I put it into 1st at all is if I'm stopped at a light or intersection.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by liolixli
Ideally, but I was saying in the case of going that speed like he said. Time arise when you don't have ideal time for second to slow you down in traffic. I personally hate to waste my brakes. Like I said though, if you don't know what you are doing it is better just to use the brakes than damage something that costs more lol. I was just explaining how it could be done smoothly.
brakes are alot cheaper to replace then a transmission, pointless to downshift into first ever....

Originally Posted by RaineMan
I never downshift into 1st. If the car is moving at all I'll use 2nd. 1st gear in these things is only to get going from a dead stop. The only time I put it into 1st at all is if I'm stopped at a light or intersection.
+rep exactly

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 09-21-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM

i down into first sometimes, took me a while to learn how to do it but i do it only when neccesary, as in going 5mph and traffic picks up i cant go in second i throw her into 1st rev her some and then ease that clutch
Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i do it im going less than 5mph, i'll have to get a vid of my car in 2nd gear while creping ...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 PM

I never said downshift to accelerate. I still can't understand what the issue others are having is though. My first is good up to 35mph from a start. I was watching closer today. I actually downshift when coming to a stop sign around 20mph. I don't have to force it. I don't have any jerking. No damage at all to the car. Believe as you wish though. It is a dead issue since you can't do it nor ride with me to prove otherwise. Anyone local though, I'll gladly take you for a ride and clear up the issue. I wish I had a video camera.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive driven a few ss/scs and i have not found one yet, including mine, that doesnt have that "resistance" in first gear if you try to downshift to it above a crawl.

basically if your not slowing to a stop, and doing like 5mph, you shouldnt be downshifting to first.

all your engine braking is done with 2nd or higher anyway. by the time youd be ready to downshift to first, you should just coast-brake-stop-shift to first.

Unless you never liked syncros anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by liolixli
I never said downshift to accelerate. I still can't understand what the issue others are having is though. My first is good up to 35mph from a start. I was watching closer today. I actually downshift when coming to a stop sign around 20mph. I don't have to force it. I don't have any jerking. No damage at all to the car. Believe as you wish though. It is a dead issue since you can't do it nor ride with me to prove otherwise. Anyone local though, I'll gladly take you for a ride and clear up the issue. I wish I had a video camera.
it's not a matter of it not being possible. it's just bad for the car. would you put water in your oil tank? no. why? because that's stupid. so is downshifting into 1st at 20mph. stay in 2nd. down the road wer're going to see a "how come my trannie is shot, i don't drive it hard" post.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
i down into first sometimes, took me a while to learn how to do it but i do it only when neccesary, as in going 5mph and traffic picks up i cant go in second i throw her into 1st rev her some and then ease that clutch
This was the kind of situation I was talking about, I guess 15-20mph was an overstatement, 5-10 mph seems more like the situations I am talking about. I would never downshift into first at above that. I was referring to when you are slowing to a stop but not completely stopped yet or going into a tight turn. Downshifting into second just doesn't seem to pull you out well enough (at least on my car) without some significant bogging. At around 5-10 mph after coasting and wanting to get going again I will occasionally downshift into first after rev-matching to about 2.5-3.0k. Again not the smoothest transition unless you nail the right rpm for the speed you are going. I am hearing that this is not recommended though as it creates some serious pressure on the transmission. I guess I will have to stay in second from now on and just play the clutch a little more. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BaltZ SS
This was the kind of situation I was talking about, I guess 15-20mph was an overstatement, 5-10 mph seems more like the situations I am talking about. I would never downshift into first at above that. I was referring to when you are slowing to a stop but not completely stopped yet or going into a tight turn. Downshifting into second just doesn't seem to pull you out well enough (at least on my car) without some significant bogging. At around 5-10 mph after coasting and wanting to get going again I will occasionally downshift into first after rev-matching to about 2.5-3.0k. Again not the smoothest transition unless you nail the right rpm for the speed you are going. I am hearing that this is not recommended though as it creates some serious pressure on the transmission. I guess I will have to stay in second from now on and just play the clutch a little more. Thanks for the heads up guys.

you're welcome. you don't need the clutch till you're at less than 5 mph or so. you can coast at around 5 with no clutch. usually, if you're going that slow it's because there's traffic or a situation where you can't go that fast anyways, so if it bogs a little bit it's not a big deal. but still how long does it take to get from 5 to 30 in 2nd, maybe a second? it's not a long time.