Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

GM Clutch upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to give you all some very important information regarding gm performance clutch 19212712. I spent $500 having my clutch inspected because GM was telling me that my clutch pedal was wrong and that it should feel stiffer and have the same pedal travel. Well after having a brand new clutch reinstalled only to find my pedal was still the same, I contacted Sachs who designed this clutch. Well this is the response I got. .... I wanted to give you an update to my clutch problem. Or rather what I thought was a problem, turns out this is how the GM performance clutch for an 05-07 cobalt is designed to be. A softer pedal and less travel. Wow, who would have thought. Anyways, this is what I received from Sachs engineering.....The very last sentence reads this... "Where as a NEW non self adjust clutch engages at the bottom of the pedal stroke and is usually pretty short stroke." ...but I have also attached the entire response.......Would have saved alot of time and frustration had GM known what the product they sell is supposed to feel like....

********************FROM SACHS ENGINEERING BELOW**************************

"I’m assuming that you are working on a 2005-2007 Cobalt SS, and the original clutch was a LUK self adjusting clutch, which requires that you “reset” the self adjuster before you install it. If you do not “reset” it than it may not release the clutch after you install it.

But if you have a Sachs non self adjusting clutch than this adjustment procedure does not apply. There is a design difference between the LUK version and the SACHS version, the Sachs version does not require a “reset”. The LUK version you can tell by the yellow springs on the pressure plate, and the SACHS version you can tell if it says “TYP M240X”. If it does not have the “X” in the model type than it is not a self adjust clutch.

You may be switching from a LUK clutch to the SACHS clutch and a softer pedal does not mean that there is less clamp load on the clutch, it could be that there is less pedal effort required for the SACHS and more for the LUK.
Also since the original LUK was a self adjust clutch it keeps the same pedal feel throughout the life of the clutch. Where as a NEW non self adjust clutch engages at the bottom of the pedal stroke and is usually pretty short stroke. "
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
I have no clue how you seem to think GM should have done anything a bout this. It has been well explained on here (use the search button) about the differences and for the mOst part no one has issues with the GMPP clutch. It's a Sachs non sac clutch that has been well explained. Many times. Take up to engagement point starts out low but not incredibly low and then moves up as soon as it beds in and thereafter through the. Life of the clutch In fact the Sachs clutch pedal effort is higher than the LUK particularly a weak worn out LUk. So not sure what point you are making that has not already been covered and as I say,well explained. . I am sorry GM owe you no explanation. My take to your post.