Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

GMPP Cobalt Wheel Hop Kit & Clutch Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im def going to get the GM kit and prob the clutch too
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^rodimus, why don't you get the rotated mounts? the heavier axles, ok, that's fine. but those mounts won't really do diddly squat for the power you have.

clutch, i'll probably get that too.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Still no inventory on clutch
Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
i wonder what the **** is taking so long
Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Rotated mounts dont work with a TTR upper mount apparently and im not giving that up and having a motor moving all over the place, thats how i broke an exhaust, no thanks, id rather have wheelhop
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Thats a very poor outlook, imo...

If you dont have wheel hop, your engine wont bounce all over the place anyway.

Exhaust, or axels? Which one would you rather break?

Last edited by ShortStack; 02-04-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
Rotated mounts dont work with a TTR upper mount apparently and im not giving that up and having a motor moving all over the place, thats how i broke an exhaust, no thanks, id rather have wheelhop
There has been guys run the TTR upper mount with no problems with the rotated mounts
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShortStack
Thats a very poor outlook, imo...

If you dont have wheel hop, your engine wont bounce all over the place anyway.

Exhaust, or axels? Which one would you rather break?
poor outlook? like FAIL some folks just dont get it....I have never ever broken an exhaust....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Im waiting to buy that damn clutch!!! Any heard anything yet???
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 PM

when my exhaust broke it was not from wheelhop it was from motor movement because i didnt experience any wheelhop when it happened, it was a hard shift into 3rd gear
Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

What exhaust? If you say ZZP than that's your issue...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 PM

when my exhaust broke it was not from wheelhop it was from motor movement because i didnt experience any wheelhop when it happened, it was a hard shift into 3rd gear
Um, Flexpipe?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

you are going to sacrfice your entire driveline because you don't feel your motor deserves it's occasional happy dance?

c'mon man, that solid mount is holding you back, With the rotated mounts your engine will move, although not nearly as much as stock, but you won't be destoying driveline components.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:08 PM

**** look at my mods I'm still on the stock clutch no problems after a year on stage 3 and nos. **** gm and there stupid "upgraded clutch" aka turbo ss STOCK clutch. Go premium and don't be disappointed in the long run. Invest alittle more and be much much more satisfied.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to me what we call wheel hop is really engine flop. Correct?
It manifests itself as wheel hop, but I bet closer investigation doesn't reveal that.

I'd like to see a video of the engine....hood removed....when the car goes into hop. I bet GM did this. I'd also like to see a video of what the front wheels do.

My guess is, the engine not only goes front to back, but doesn't go the same distance front to back on both sides of the engine. The mount points aren't symetrical.

I also bet the front lower control arm bushings play a role as well.

Engine mounts will fix this to a degree. Limit the travel, and stiffen them, will reduce, but not eliminate the prob. It will also increase the frequency of the "hop". I've seen the video of the new turbo car...it still isn't perfect.

I am really not sure why the new kit replaces the axles...unless the kit fixes enough to make the axles the weak point. Not surprising since more than a few here hae broken axles.

Myself, I'm a long time drag racer and when I took my SS to the track all stock, I got it into serious wheel hop and the trans came apart...big time.

BTW...my stock clutch won't handle a 1-2 power shift w/o slipping. and all I have is stage 2.

There is more to this than meets the eye, and I believe GM ought to make this a bunch cheaper given the fact that it's attempting to fix an original design flaw.

Old guy post, but I have been around the block a few times.

Ron
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Originally Posted by RonSS
Seems to me what we call wheel hop is really engine flop. Correct?
It manifests itself as wheel hop, but I bet closer investigation doesn't reveal that.

I'd like to see a video of the engine....hood removed....when the car goes into hop. I bet GM did this. I'd also like to see a video of what the front wheels do.

My guess is, the engine not only goes front to back, but doesn't go the same distance front to back on both sides of the engine. The mount points aren't symetrical.

I also bet the front lower control arm bushings play a role as well.

Engine mounts will fix this to a degree. Limit the travel, and stiffen them, will reduce, but not eliminate the prob. It will also increase the frequency of the "hop". I've seen the video of the new turbo car...it still isn't perfect.

I am really not sure why the new kit replaces the axles...unless the kit fixes enough to make the axles the weak point. Not surprising since more than a few here hae broken axles.

Myself, I'm a long time drag racer and when I took my SS to the track all stock, I got it into serious wheel hop and the trans came apart...big time.

BTW...my stock clutch won't handle a 1-2 power shift w/o slipping. and all I have is stage 2.

There is more to this than meets the eye, and I believe GM ought to make this a bunch cheaper given the fact that it's attempting to fix an original design flaw.

Old guy post, but I have been around the block a few times.

Ron
You are right, the control arm bushings take a beating when the car goes into wheel hop. I have blown a tranny to smithereens as well the same way. Powell RaceCraft developed a set of rotated transmission mounts for the time Attack cars to correct the alignment of the axles. The car was designed for an automatic trans, but the SS models of course have manual, and the result is the axles are misaligned, and they do not like that. The rotated mounts correct the miss-alignment of the shafts. The added side effect was that it eliminates wheels hop. Because the axles are no longer at an extreme angle, they don't lash about, contributing and causing the excessive wheelhop we have all experienced at one time or another. the mounts are now sold through OTTPerformance.com, and have been installed and run with 400+whp cobalts, and they can launch at nearly any rpm, no skip, hop, or jump of any kind, just clean spin.

read this thread, a lot of the questions you might have are answered here:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/over-top-performance-167/new-rotated-trans-mounts-142642/

another benefit, is with the rotation, the mounts can be made from a softer compund, resulting in little to no noticeable vibration over stock, unlike the solid upper mount and polyurethane transmission bushings.

Last edited by ls1fbody; 02-10-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
You are right, the control arm bushings take a beating when the car goes into wheel hop. I have blown a tranny to smithereens as well the same way. Powell RaceCraft developed a set of rotated transmission mounts for the time Attack cars to correct the alignment of the axles. The car was designed for an automatic trans, but the SS models of course have manual, and the result is the axles are misaligned, and they do not like that. The rotated mounts correct the miss-alignment of the shafts. The added side effect was that it eliminates wheels hop. Because the axles are no longer at an extreme angle, they don't lash about, contributing and causing the excessive wheelhop we have all experienced at one time or another. the mounts are now sold through OTTPerformance.com, and have been installed and run with 400+whp cobalts, and they can launch at nearly any rpm, no skip, hop, or jump of any kind, just clean spin.

read this thread, a lot of the questions you might have are answered here:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142642

another benefit, is with the rotation, the mounts can be made from a softer compund, resulting in little to no noticeable vibration over stock, unlike the solid upper mount and polyurethane transmission bushings.
what he said. Ron drive that awesome Nova at the strip, the M35 trans cant manage/handle 1-2 power shifts for even a nano second, period. Frickin 9 second Nova, like use the Cobalt for groceries....really...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

*whew* got approval, was scared i got sumthin wrong, and i was going to go down in flames
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
what he said. Ron drive that awesome Nova at the strip, the M35 trans cant manage/handle 1-2 power shifts for even a nano second, period. Frickin 9 second Nova, like use the Cobalt for groceries....really...

Ha! I only took the Cobalt to the track that one fatefull time. Hasn't been back and won't be back. But the wheel hop on the street is pretty unbearable. Especially in the wet. So it would be nice to fix it for sure.

Ron
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Ha! I only took the Cobalt to the track that one fatefull time. Hasn't been back and won't be back. But the wheel hop on the street is pretty unbearable. Especially in the wet. So it would be nice to fix it for sure.

Ron
contact Josh at OTTP (fast98) for an elegant billet solution no vibes....cheers.....pics of the nova or ban...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
contact Josh at OTTP (fast98) for an elegant billet solution no vibes....cheers.....pics of the nova or ban...
I can do better...here is a vid of what happened when I tried the 150 shot off the line:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...ing_165140.htm

Drove it to the track, drove it home. The run was made on 9" slicks. I'm in the right lane.

I shall look into the rotated mounts.

Ron
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM

I can do better...here is a vid of what happened when I tried the 150 shot off the line:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...ing_165140.htm

Drove it to the track, drove it home. The run was made on 9" slicks. I'm in the right lane.

I shall look into the rotated mounts.

Ron
hooked nova's rock
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

muscle cars in general pretty much blow compacts out of the water john, haha

but they don't turn very well..
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ls1fbody
muscle cars in general pretty much blow compacts out of the water john, haha

but they don't turn very well..
i wouldent say that ive seen plenty that will out turn a cobalt
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
i wouldent say that ive seen plenty that will out turn a cobalt
I havent seen many "muscle cars" with under $100k spent on them that could out handle an SS/TC.

Quick Reply: GMPP Cobalt Wheel Hop Kit & Clutch Upgrade!