Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

GMPP Cobalt Wheel Hop Kit & Clutch Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 264 Likes on 223 Posts
wheel hop doesnt get eliminated from the smaller firmer bushings, if that were true the very firm polyurethane bushings would stop wheel hop, wich they dont. ottp mounts do stop the wheel hop, plain and simple. it doesnt matter what hpvo says, doesnt matter what gm engineers say, it stops wheel hop, and thats all there is to it. gm is saying in theory these mounts shouldnt stop the wheel hop, but i highly doubt they bought a set and tested them.

i read through the entire thread, and aaron, it apears your pissed off that another company is making a product that works. people dont seem to care about the cost (once they dropped the price, i bought mine imediatly) as long as it fixes the wheel hop, and it 100% does. i can say after all the attacks and bitching, the rear swaybar and koni yellows i was going to order from you next week are going to be comming from OTTP, and i will never even think about ordering a product from you, ever!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
i can say after all the attacks and bitching, the rear swaybar and koni yellows i was going to order from you next week are going to be comming from OTTP, and i will never even think about ordering a product from you, ever!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM

y is this in the LSJ section?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 AM

good point... surprised erod hasent moved it
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223
y is this in the LSJ section?
because they are upgrades for the LSJ... makes sense to me
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
glad about the Patent.

Aaron, i think you need to back off a little, the public posting of the comments that were sent to you privatly was a very immature move.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by fast98
I will go on record here as saying that no one can make rotated mounts for the cobalts and ions for a long while as the patent is pending on the design. We have also gone to a billet design and they will be ready in 4 weeks. Our product is proven by our customers and the time attack cobalt not to have hop. Poly mounts have been proven by many to still have hop.

and that is a fact sometimes some people are a bit smarter then the engineers at gm
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 AM

hmm, im guessing i missed a lot here...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 AM

So maybe getting the gm kit wheel hop kit using the axles parting out the mounts and getting the OTTP mounts using a TTR upper mount, would that be the best of everything?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

That sure sounds like it.. lol..
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
So maybe getting the gm kit wheel hop kit using the axles parting out the mounts and getting the OTTP mounts using a TTR upper mount, would that be the best of everything?
I have not seen the kit. LNF axles wont fit an LSJ without a special internally larger splined input outer cv bell with an LSJ smaller output splined shaft . I am not sure what this kit has and if it works. LSJ shafts will not fit an LNF outer bell. Maybe GM figured that out and thats why you cant get the parts right now...just wondering....

You can still use the LNF axles for 05-06,early 07 cars, if you install a grand am wheel bearing from SKF which has 10 holes, 5 x 114.3 and 5 x 110 but you will need to clearance the 5 x 110 holes for the studs, and turn down the wheel centric hub to fit LSJ 65 mm wheel centers.

Late 07/08 cars have different abs wheel counts and that wont work for you, but for 07you may be able to use a rear solstice wheel bearing depending on the mounting pattern, but all this is too complex to screw with.

Koni cars use a hardened shaft which you can buy from the race teams and use grand am wheel bearings and grand am outer cv bells with the inner lsj plunge joint,and that shaft is a lot lighter. Early 2005 / 2006 Koni race Cobalts have Pratt and Miller made special ( $300 per )axle shafts made from the same material as the C6R ; they will never break.

The TTR upper mount is not a great idea to use with the OTTP mounts but some folks have done that...there is a lot of available movement in the upper mounting bolt holes on the mount to motor block on the passenger side, and the mount to transmission on the drivers side to reposition. It all depends on what you want. It shows pictures, and explains in the Ecotec Build book in chapter 3 pages 13 and 14 on the time attack car, that the rack was spaced for bump steer and the mounts were rotated for axle alignment. End of hop. end of story...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope gm didn't use stock lsj outer cv bells. I have seen them snap at the splines many times.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by fast98
I hope gm didn't use stock lsj outer cv bells. I have seen them snap at the splines many times.
agreed. this lnf axle deal only works if they change the wheel bearing like i do. but there is not any bearing in the kit. that means that they either made a mistake or have to do an LSJ bell with the weak sauce outer axle...oops....or an unobtainium metal bell
Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

i think i read someplace that they used the LSJ or modified the LSJ outer bell to accomidate the TC axle. Will need to hunt down confirmation on that.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
i think i read someplace that they used the LSJ or modified the LSJ outer bell to accomidate the TC axle. Will need to hunt down confirmation on that.
pictures dont mean much but the pics of the axle shafts are not TC axles, which have much larger axle shaft diamter. So maybe they supply LSJ axles with stronger shafts, which is not a lot different from DSS shafts, and thy have broken in hop. So...no conclusion at this time. The TC clutch sure is better and priced right used for a season in Koni no issues...but then again road racing is waaaay easier on drive train than drag racing. 5 minutes of drag racing = 5 hours of road racing
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

haha, very true.

but knowing how car maufacturers work, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to use TC axles with different bells, than to make a whole new shaft?

Last edited by ls1fbody; 01-28-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM

what does it cost for GM to put this clutch in our cars? i would do it myself but i need the warranty **** so has anyone done it?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Clutch isn't warrantied either way.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM

Like I said it sucks that GMPP decided to wait till warranty was up on most vehicles before releasing these products. I snapped my axle shaft and left me stranded for a month till the DSS shaft came in and I had poly mounts and engine torque brace when mine happened. I won't even go back to the track till I get the new clutch installed so I'm not left stranded again.

I'm glad they have at least made it affordable for the clutch. I think the "wheel hop kit" is a little too much. My setup cost me around $800. Now I don't know if this "eliminated the wheel hop" at the track but i doubt it did. And I doubt it will with this "wheel hop kit" till someone shows a video of this kit installed doing a clutch drop at 2,000 rpm at the track with no "wheel hop"

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by BCobaltSS
Like I said it sucks that GMPP decided to wait till warranty was up on most vehicles before releasing these products. I snapped my axle shaft and left me stranded for a month till the DSS shaft came in and I had poly mounts and engine torque brace when mine happened. I won't even go back to the track till I get the new clutch installed so I'm not left stranded again.

I'm glad they have at least made it affordable for the clutch. I think the "wheel hop kit" is a little too much. My setup cost me around $800. Now I don't know if this "eliminated the wheel hop" at the track but i doubt it did. And I doubt it will with this "wheel hop kit" till someone shows a video of this kit installed doing a clutch drop at 2,000 rpm at the track with no "wheel hop"

Just my 2 cents
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/w...ion_199247.htm

here ya go
Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Just my 2 cents
the only way to really fix your wheel hop is by rotating the motor. sure, you can make everything rock solid, but even then, something will just give on you. Rotate the motor, make the axles happy, and senjoy all the spin you could ever want.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR

Yep this is what mine does on the street with my setup right now .....BUT I want you to take it to the track with the same camera angle and see what you get with the same launch

Do that and prove that there is nothing but wheel spin like the video you have shown and I might think about this option.

Good luck

PS thanks for the video
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

My tires must suck. All I get is wheel spin when I launch or get on it hard on the streets.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep this is what mine does on the street with my setup right now .....BUT I want you to take it to the track with the same camera angle and see what you get with the same launch

Do that and prove that there is nothing but wheel spin like the video you have shown and I might think about this option.

Good luck

PS thanks for the video
I dont think anyone here really cares enough to prove the GMPP kit works just so youll buy it. I own GM stock and you buying an $800 GMPP kit wont help that
Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Is the GMPP clutch out yet?

Quick Reply: GMPP Cobalt Wheel Hop Kit & Clutch Upgrade!