Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!

Well here we go i need some help!
I want to know if theres any way i can make my stock 2.2 F23 Tranny stroner?
my car was turboed making 217whp and 213 ft tq and i blew the second gear clean out of the car.
i remember something like 2 yrs ago about a 6 spd trany for the cobalt some vendor was selling? anyone knoe anything of this?
i was also running a Stage 4.4 six puck clutch masters clutch too.
this time around im going with a Twin disc if i can find one.

any suggestions on clutches?

also websites or site vendor sites with the fallowing would be awesome too...

Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 AM

theres no 6 speed for a 2.2 it was for the lsj..your gonna have to do a cry'o treated tranny
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SlowBalt_06
theres no 6 speed for a 2.2 it was for the lsj..your gonna have to do a cry'o treated tranny
whats a cry'o treated tranny?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Cryogenic Treatment is an extended process that very gradually "freezes" or removes heat from the items being treated. Typically, the parts are brought down to 300 degrees below zero (F) in a very slow ramp and then held at that temperature for an extended dwell (24 hours), before being returned to ambient temperature. The last step is a post temper to +300/ +350 degrees F. The entire process takes 48 to 72 hour...

**** is anyway where from 20-40 % stronger doing this
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 264 Likes on 223 Posts
the f23 is a strong tranny, i have a friends car around 300hp with an f23 and no issues. there are others cars doing way more power without issues. id love to see the pics of 2nd gear being through the case.

cryo-treating is about the only way to improve an f23.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM

ya i know people who are running 615whp on the f23 tranny, with out problem, but i dunno seems like i have bad luck, and mine went. started with grinding and gm saying my clutch and trubo was was it blew, now it doesnt stay in gear
Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 264 Likes on 223 Posts
sounds like the syncro went bad to start, then what starts as a slight "munch" into gear turns into grinding. what happens is the teeth on the shift sleeve or the gear become rounded because the syncro isnt doing its job, then they start getting ground off till there is nothing left of them to grab, hence the popping out of gear. this isnt really a strength issue, although i have heard of this problem before. mainly it happens to people who drive the car hard.

i have a theory on whats happening, as this problem only seems to happen to those with 06+ that are using dexron VI. the tranny was originally designed for dexron III, and to my knowledge there were no internal changes (aside from gear ratios) from 2000 to current. now dexron VI is a little thicker, not much, but it may be enough that during fast shifts the oil cant get pushed out from behind the syncro fast enough not allowing it to do its job. i myself would put Dexron III in it as it seems to work with no issues in the older f23 that called for dexron III.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
sounds like the syncro went bad to start, then what starts as a slight "munch" into gear turns into grinding. what happens is the teeth on the shift sleeve or the gear become rounded because the syncro isnt doing its job, then they start getting ground off till there is nothing left of them to grab, hence the popping out of gear. this isnt really a strength issue, although i have heard of this problem before. mainly it happens to people who drive the car hard.

i have a theory on whats happening, as this problem only seems to happen to those with 06+ that are using dexron VI. the tranny was originally designed for dexron III, and to my knowledge there were no internal changes (aside from gear ratios) from 2000 to current. now dexron VI is a little thicker, not much, but it may be enough that during fast shifts the oil cant get pushed out from behind the syncro fast enough not allowing it to do its job. i myself would put Dexron III in it as it seems to work with no issues in the older f23 that called for dexron III.
Dexron III thats the trans oil right?
do you think it be a good idea to take a older like 2000 cavi tranny and build my trany with that internals, or hit a junk yeard and ask for a 2007 tranny?