Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Honestly.. Auto to manual..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly.. Auto to manual..

OK.. I was thinking..

I figure that doing an auto to manual on a newer car would be harder than an older one because of the computers and what not, however couldn't I just basically buy a manual tranny, pedal assembly and ECU for a 2.4 that was already manual and basically just swap the stuff directly onto mine..? Would that work at all, or would that not work as thought out? I've never done a tranny swap myself, however my friends all have done alot of engine and tranny work, so if it'd work at all, I'm sure I could get it going.. I have no immediate problem with the car being auto, however a manual would be much more fun..

Anyone..??
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
the biggest thing with the computers is that all of them must have a matching vin number for the car to even run. when gm programs the pcm it goes by vin number, and your vin number will be asigned with an automatic and that cant be changed. you may be able to turn the automatic functions off with hp tuners, but im not sure.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also would have to cut the floor to put the pedals in. basically it's not worth it.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 PM

honestly couldnt you sell your car and buy a manual 2.4 and save alot of time and effert maybe even money
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by occsdude
honestly couldnt you sell your car and buy a manual 2.4 and save alot of time and effert maybe even money
/thread
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM

You dont have to swap the ECU. Just find a tuning group that can reflash your current ECU with mapping from a 5spd ECU. On the other hand, you also have alot more to think about than just the tranny and pedals.

This list was posted by another user and it is true

tranny
tranny mounts
flywheel
clutch
axles
5spd trans wiring for reverse and maybe speedometer
shift cables complete shift assembly
firewall plate
pedal support bracket
clutch pedal clutch
positioning switch and wiring
clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder
clutch hydraulic hose
brake master cylinder reservoir
clutch master cylinder fill hose
Console plate
ECM or reflash
Remove all Auto trans wiring
all nuts and bolts to support

I have spent hours looking and researching this to see if it is fesable to do such a swap. if you have the knowledge, desire, and donor car then go ahead and get to it. This, however, is not a small or easy thing to do, experienced or not
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM

x2

You could find a 2.4 manual for around 10K if not even that.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
x2

You could find a 2.4 manual for around 10K if not even that.
That's not the point.

DarkCobalt, thanks for the good information and not a smart ass remark.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
That's not the point.

DarkCobalt, thanks for the good information and not a smart ass remark.
nobody gave a smart ass remark in the post. also, this is a topic that has been talked about many times. it's just not worth it. if you have the time and money to do the swap, you have the money to buy a new car with a manual.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM

I believe that was a smart ass remark.

I asked for an answer, not his opinion. If I wanted a different car I'd buy one. I don't. Again, as I said, it's not that big of a deal, but if it was easy enough, cool. It's not, so no biggie.

I'm just used to other cars where you buy the tranny and ECU and you bolt the **** on. lol.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM

I asked for an answer, not his opinion. If I wanted a different car I'd buy one. I don't. Again, as I said, it's not that big of a deal, but if it was easy enough, cool. It's not, so no biggie.

I'm just used to other cars where you buy the tranny and ECU and you bolt the **** on. lol.
that wasnt a smart ass remark, he is being honest, it would be cheaper in the long run to just sell your car and buy a manual car.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

i don't want to get into an argument over it, but it's not an opinion, it's a fact. if you looked into how much actually would have to be done to get this to work, then you would see that he was being serious, not trying to be a dick about it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM

All that I'm saying was that I was only asking how extensive it was. I'm not buying a new car. That's all. I guess I'm just so used to all of the smart asses on here who take themselves oh-so-seriously..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DarkCobalt13
You dont have to swap the ECU. Just find a tuning group that can reflash your current ECU with mapping from a 5spd ECU. On the other hand, you also have alot more to think about than just the tranny and pedals.

This list was posted by another user and it is true

tranny 2300
tranny mounts 200
flywheel 200
clutch 500
axles 500
5spd trans wiring for reverse and maybe speedometer 350
shift cables complete shift assembly 350
firewall plate 600
pedal support bracket 200
clutch pedal clutch 75
positioning switch and wiring 300
clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder 550
clutch hydraulic hose 75
brake master cylinder reservoir 75
clutch master cylinder fill hose 50
Console plate 75
ECM or reflash 100
Remove all Auto trans wiring
all nuts and bolts to support 50

I have spent hours looking and researching this to see if it is fesable to do such a swap. if you have the knowledge, desire, and donor car then go ahead and get to it. This, however, is not a small or easy thing to do, experienced or not

I added some rough numbers, its around 6500 if you did this yourself. And OP, please stop being a dick, we are only trying to help.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PRND3L
I added some rough numbers, its around 6500 if you did this yourself.
i always like to factor in the point that when you buy a cobalt with an auto tranny, you pay an additional 850 for that option as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 AM

And I appreciate that. But understand that based on what I said:

If that was all you had to do, it'd be a little over a grand probably if you got your **** used. But no, it's not that big of a deal. No need for everyone to get all heated.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i always like to factor in the point that when you buy a cobalt with an auto tranny, you pay an additional 850 for that option as well.
It wasn't my choice. lol.

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-18-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

And I appreciate that. But understand that based on what I said:

If that was all you had to do, it'd be a little over a grand probably if you got your **** used. But no, it's not that big of a deal. No need for everyone to get all heated.

It wasn't my choice. lol.
on any car, you would still have to buy alot of the other parts mentioned... unless other auto makers include a clutch, flywheel, and all the other parts that go along with it in their automatic cars. and dude, no one is heated at all you just seem to be getting agitated for no reason.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Because I'm just trying to get a basic parts listing as thrown in by DarkCobalt. I'm not just selling my car when I already have several grand into it. lol.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Because I'm just trying to get a basic parts listing as thrown in by DarkCobalt. I'm not just selling my car when I already have several grand into it. lol.
several grand??!!! what??!! in a cobalt?! the bitch better fly and cure AIDS with several grand in it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 AM

haha Recaros, GMPP, Alpine, HAD Enkei's.. etc.. **** adds up.. lol
Old 02-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PRND3L
several grand??!!! what??!! in a cobalt?! the bitch better fly and cure AIDS with several grand in it.
i have several grand in my car.... it doesnt all go to power you know...
$1.2k in suspension alone
$1.5k for rims/tires....its not hard to spend money on a car...unfortunately
Get the tranny... flywheel... pedals... clutch master cylinder... slave cylinder... clutch... engine bay wiring harness (if you use same year, it should be plug & play)... mounts... brackets...

to the OP, heres what you would need to do, straight from John Lenko
Originally Posted by John Lenko
drop the old tranny & engine. It's easier to do it all together. take apart the motor & trans... remove the starter, you get the three bolts on the flex plate to torque converter housing that way. Separate the two, remove the flex plate... install the flywheel (use the correct length bolts, which are longer than the flex plate ones, but same thread.) I used blue threadlocker. My flex plate bolts came out with blue on them. GM says use red. Use whatever you want, but use something. mount up the tranny and bolt it to the engine.

grind off the old auto tranny mounts.. weld in new brackets for the getrag mounts. rear one from GM, front one from Turbo Tech Racing. Don't waste your time trying to cut one off a wrecked car, it's more trouble than it's worth. Measure 10 times, to make sure you've got it right. Tack weld them in place, then do a test fit with the tranny & engine. Once you're sure they're in right, weld 'em in good.

Install the 5 speed shifter and pedals.. including the new gas/brake pedals (one assembly, and the brake is smaller). Cut the hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder & pedal. You'll need the two nuts on the cylinder, plus one bolt to the steering column. I just raided the junkyard for small pieces every couple of days until it was done.

Put it all together, bleed the clutch, and you're good to go.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM

i wasnt being smart at all. plus i thought since you would be willing to swap trannys why not get a new car and take all the stuff on your old one and put it on the new one. you could find used stock parts for cheap.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM

find a donor car, one that has been totalled outfrom the doors back. I found an 05 2.2 5spd sedan that the yard wants 600 for the entire car. Engine and tranny are in great shape. Got hit in the rear passenger side and nearly ripped the entire back half of the car. Got all my parts, now it's a matter of gettin shop time.

Yes, guys I am doing the swap! Gonna try to do a gigantic how to.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM

find a donor car, one that has been totalled outfrom the doors back. I found an 05 2.2 5spd sedan that the yard wants 600 for the entire car. Engine and tranny are in great shape. Got hit in the rear passenger side and nearly ripped the entire back half of the car. Got all my parts, now it's a matter of gettin shop time.

cant wait for the part out when you give up.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM

At the end of the how-to please post the total cost of the swap.

Quick Reply: Honestly.. Auto to manual..