Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Hurst Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurst Alignment Problem

Just installed my Hurst shifter last night. 5th gear and reverse feel awkward, and the reverse lockout does not work(not a big deal). I hear all this talk about adjusting the cables but not exactly sure how to do so. If anybody has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fishmeister; 12-30-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free bump for an answer for a buddy of ours.

I found this. A member had the same question and here is the answer.

Quote: Originally Posted by RBCjust installed mine today. it wasn't very hard but somethings were a pain in the ass. The directions were good to a point, and I figured out some of my own tricks to make life easier. One question that I have, is there any adjustment that can made to the shifter left and right? If I push the shifter all the way to the right it won't go into fifth. You have to bring it back to the left a little bit and slide it in.

Answer: Where you clip the left cable adjusts where the shifter sits left to right. Hold the shifter in place with your hand and clip the left cable down. The way mine is fifth is where it hits the ridge for reverse lockout, just like on stock.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Moderator Alumni

Did you mark your shifter cables before you unclipped them? If you didn't do that chances are they are mis aligned. If the gears operate poorly get it fixed ASAP or you risk breaking the shifter cables.

I don't have a hurst shifter but it looks almost identical to my B&M.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zinner
Did you mark your shifter cables before you unclipped them? If you didn't do that chances are they are mis aligned. If the gears operate poorly get it fixed ASAP or you risk breaking the shifter cables.

I don't have a hurst shifter but it looks almost identical to my B&M.
My gears have been feeling rather weird lately...Think it can be an alignment problem?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by damien
My gears have been feeling rather weird lately...Think it can be an alignment problem?
You need to be more specific than just weird.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, sorry. Going into gear felt rather stiff, definately not how it was a week ago. Kinda like it needs a tiny bit of extra force to go in and it grinded a few times. It also went into 4th extremely smooth one time, almost effortless. I've noticed if it is in gear and i push the shifter to any side, it makes a noise of a metal on metal sound, but not in any way does it sound like a grind.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 AM

To adjust the cables with the hurst you need to unclip the clips that attach to the shifter. Do not remove the clips from the shifter, just unclip them so the threaded rod can now slide in an out of the clip. The clip on the left side controls the lateral movement and should be adjusted if you are having problems with finding 5th or reverse. Undo the clip and move the shifter so that is slightly left of being center in neutral. Fine tune this until you can you all of the gears.

The clip on the right is for vertical movement (front to back) of the shifter. To adjust this one you shift the car into fourth and adjust the cable from there

Hope this helps you out
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

thanks man, yeah we figured it out the next day. i forgot to update everybody. exactly what you said though. thanks again
Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by truray4
To adjust the cables with the hurst you need to unclip the clips that attach to the shifter. Do not remove the clips from the shifter, just unclip them so the threaded rod can now slide in an out of the clip. The clip on the left side controls the lateral movement and should be adjusted if you are having problems with finding 5th or reverse. Undo the clip and move the shifter so that is slightly left of being center in neutral. Fine tune this until you can you all of the gears.

The clip on the right is for vertical movement (front to back) of the shifter. To adjust this one you shift the car into fourth and adjust the cable from there

Hope this helps you out
Man thay really helps me had the hurst in and culdnt get 1st nd 2nd so I put the stock baq in and now I can't get reverse so I'm gonna try and reinstall the hurst cuz now no one can help me getting reverse with the stock one