Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

I need Limited Slip for my 2005 SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need Limited Slip for my 2005 SS

I have a 2005 SS supercharged with out a LSD. The traction is horrible. I lowered the car which helps alot but I am still not happy. Does anybody know where and how I can put this system on my car?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM

here ya gohttp://www.dezod.com/cat_limited_slip.cfm
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by maregis
I have a 2005 SS supercharged with out a LSD. The traction is horrible. I lowered the car which helps alot but I am still not happy. Does anybody know where and how I can put this system on my car?

Thanks
Phone Ed @ 216 798-6902. He has the complete '05 LSD tranny for sale and you could offer $900. and get it right away. Then you just need to swap it in. The easiest way to have LSD and not hallucinate.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM

Do you know whats all involved with putting the LSD in? Is it as simple as just slipping it in?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when you say "the traction is horrible"

what exactly are you talking about?
because an LSD is gonna be alot of money for something that might not give you what you think it will.
If your talking about traction in a straight line in first gear....i think you would be dissapointed with your purchase, as far as performance change vs cost.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Do you know whats all involved with putting the LSD in? Is it as simple as just slipping it in?
The unit I mentioned is a complete transmission and that is easier than changing the LSD.
You need the transmission removed either way but to add a LSD to a non-lsd tranny requires another 7 hours of shop time. I know I did it which is why I suggest buying a complete transmission.
I know that fellow has the transmission because I bought the engine it went with, earlier today.
He is an actual parts reseller.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM

The LSD is very difficult to swap out from what I hear, as I have inquirred about it myself. Your best bet is to just swap th whole tranny. then you're talking an 8 hour project for an experienced mechanic.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
when you say "the traction is horrible"

what exactly are you talking about?
because an LSD is gonna be alot of money for something that might not give you what you think it will.
If your talking about traction in a straight line in first gear....i think you would be dissapointed with your purchase, as far as performance change vs cost.

Ummm, I think your take on how big a difference this makes is on the low side.

This was a night and day change on my Mazda.

The Quaife
, allows me to accelerate very hard on On Ramps in the rain or dry where before I would light up the inside tire and loose grip.

Plus, the launch is night and day.. If you don't get tires that grip, all the LSDs in the world will not help.

Lower the Car, Motor Mounts, Buy Tires, Buy The LSD at the same time.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
syP

LSD ftw... open diff FTL
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM

Im not saying its useless.
Im just trying to make sure that the result this person is hoping for is going to be worth the cost.
you say "inside tire" thats where im in complete agreeance.
basically if your talking about traction where the wheels are turned...the LSD is gonna shine.
But if the "traction is horrible" statement, was directed more to the fact that when taking off in a straight line, this thing lights em up all day, then an LSD IMO is alot of money to spend for little to no difference.
the launch traction in this car will still be ****. LSD or no LSD.
its a function of being FWD.
were never going to have great traction in first gear.

non LSD cobalts are cutting 2.0-2.1 60ft times, so I personally dont feel that an LSD is worth the money purely for straight line acceleration.

(this is assuming your talkin about a <280hp daily driven type cobalt, on street tires)
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM

I went from leaving a long single black line All through 1st and 2nd.

To leaving a pair of 18" Black lines.

It removed a Full second from my 0 - 60

Money in the bank, If you can buy it, do it. If you have other things to spen the money on, don't.

There, Crystal Clear.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM

why isnt it helping on cobalts though?
the non LSD cobalt is cutting times exactly the same as the G85.
shouldnt there be a noticable difference?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
why isnt it helping on cobalts though?
the non LSD cobalt is cutting times exactly the same as the G85.
shouldn't there be a noticeable difference?
The Quaife is an after market adjustable LSD.

Stock LSDs on anything but a Porsche or Lotus give other LSDs a bad name for being a waste.

EDIT, The g85 is a Quaife, but it's generic and OEM in design. Being able to adjust the Diff makes a huge diference.

2005-06 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged -
Factory Quaife Option!

Š2006 Cobalt SS. ChevroletGM High Performance Vehicle Operations have developed the new Performance Package Option for the Cobalt SS/SC to give the supercharged coupe an edge on the track. The great thing about the package is that is benefits the street driver, too. The package includes Recaro seats (to stick the driver to the car) and most importantly a Quaife ATB Differential (to stick the car to the road)!
So when ordering your new Cobalt SS Supercharged, make sure to select the Performance Package G85 option to get your Cobalt Quaife-equipped!
Already own a Cobalt SS S/C without a Quaife? You can order one from us or from one of our dealers under part number 57.309.180

Here's what the automotive press is saying about the new Quaife-equipped Cobalt SS:

"Over the twisting trails of Santa Barbara County, a Quaife-equipped SS laid the power down smoothly and ate the apexes with fast reflexes and stable course control." Car and Driver Feb05 & Aug05

"...And if the standard SS isn't enough, serious apex strafers can go for the optional SS performance package that adds Recaro seats and a Quaife limited-slip differential." Road & Track Feb05

"To keen drivers, the [Quaife] LSD and the supportive Recaro bucket seats are worth paying for. As such equipped, the Cobalt SS has foolproof handling." Autozine.com

2005-06 Saturn Ion Redline - Factory Quaife Option!

Š2005 Saturn
Like the Cobalt SS/SC, the Quaife ATB differential is now available as a factory-installed option on the supercharged Ion Redline. Already own a Redline without a Quaife? You can order one from us or from one of our dealers under part number 57.309.180
Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 PM

as far as im aware the LSD on the cobalt is quaife, but I confess i know very little about it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Its obvious LSD could not make a too much of a difference in a strait line unless it is wet or slippery. I use my SS for Solo racing and the grip just sucks"lots of hard cornering". Lowering made a big difference but it still sucks. I don't think I will be willing to pay the money for a new tranny considering from what it sounds from you guys there will be a $3000 plus price tag for the work and materials. I guess im screwed but I still love my Car, just wish I had a LSD!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 PM

ahhhh thanks for answering.
no doubt whatsoever an lsd would be killer for you

dont give up hope....maybe a deal will come up.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Its obvious LSD could not make a too much of a difference in a strait line unless it is wet or slippery. I use my SS for Solo racing and the grip just sucks"lots of hard cornering". Lowering made a big difference but it still sucks. I don't think I will be willing to pay the money for a new tranny considering from what it sounds from you guys there will be a $3000 plus price tag for the work and materials. I guess im screwed but I still love my Car, just wish I had a LSD!
The Launch is actually where the LSD really shines..
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

What part of my post aren't you reading? You can get the complete transmission with the Quaife LSD already in it, for only $900. plus shipping. Maybe even lower if you haggle with the guy. Then you take it out the stock one yourself and put in the replacement. Even if you need to pay a friend to help you you are only looking at about $1300. for what you say you want. On top of that you have your stock tranny for a replacement or to sell.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Is that $900 used? I thought you may of been talking about just the LSD alone. Its hard to belive a transmission for the Cobalt will be $900 new or used. I will check up on this, thank you.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
We also carry the Quaife LSD unit
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
The Launch is actually where the LSD really shines..
If that were true, then why did not one single reviewer comment on the LSD's help towards launching/straight line performance?

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
The package includes Recaro seats (to stick the driver to the car) and most importantly a Quaife ATB Differential (to stick the car to the road)!

"Over the twisting trails of Santa Barbara County, a Quaife-equipped SS laid the power down smoothly and ate the apexes with fast reflexes and stable course control." Car and Driver Feb05 & Aug05

"...And if the standard SS isn't enough, serious apex strafers can go for the optional SS performance package that adds Recaro seats and a Quaife limited-slip differential." Road & Track Feb05

"To keen drivers, the [Quaife] LSD and the supportive Recaro bucket seats are worth paying for. As such equipped, the Cobalt SS has foolproof handling." Autozine.com
Nope, no where to be found ....
Old 07-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How long would a LSD install take?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
GRABBER BLUE MUSTANG GT

a lot of money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 PM

This is another one of those times when we need to wish that our cars are rwd, not because traction would be better than ours, but because a differential swap is a piece of cake compared to fwd. (well and traction is easier/better, lol)
Old 07-27-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 07LSC
This is another one of those times when we need to wish that our cars are rwd, not because traction would be better than ours, but because a differential swap is a piece of cake compared to fwd. (well and traction is easier/better, lol)
Yes and No.

This is my only car, so I have to drive it in Winter.

When I permanantely put on All-Season Pirelli's this Fall, the car wil have very little/no problems in the snow.

Can't say that with a high performance RWD car (like a Mustang).

Forget RWD in all year driving!

Quick Reply: I need Limited Slip for my 2005 SS