Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Info from GM about my clutch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Def sounds like that could have something to do with it. Ill let everyone know how mine is doing once i get the header on.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scoot05RedSS
Def sounds like that could have something to do with it. Ill let everyone know how mine is doing once i get the header on.
Hurry!

Many of us are awaiting your results with baited breath!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM

yea. i have a 2.2 and even i really wanna know
Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Well Like I said. I'm waitiong on my 3rd header to come in from Cobalt Addiction. They are taking their sweet time to ship it. It has no header at all on it now so she ain't moving. My header is supposed to be shipped tomorrow and I should have it by Friday. Then I'll def work on it this weekend. So you should deffinately have an answer by Monday of next week. Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 AM

Well Like I said. I'm waitiong on my 3rd header to come in from Cobalt Addiction ... So you should deffinately have an answer by Monday of next week. Thanks guys
K, we're waiting.

Then maybe we can permanently send some of those doubting "junior mint racers" on this forum back to their caves.

One can only hope ...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
K, we're waiting.

Then maybe we can permanently send some of those doubting "junior mint racers" on this forum back to their caves.

One can only hope ...
What the hell is Junior Mint Racers? and I heard from CA today and they just shipped it. So they delivery date said it won't come in until nov. 27. But hopefully it will come in before that. SoI will keep you posted guys!!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 AM

What the hell is Junior Mint Racers?
LOL

That's a reference to someone as being a "racer without experience" ...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the hell is Junior Mint Racers? and I heard from CA today and they just shipped it. So they delivery date said it won't come in until nov. 27. But hopefully it will come in before that. SoI will keep you posted guys!!
That's about right. If it's coming UPS, they are closed today, Friday, and Saturday. So that will be why it isn't coming quickly.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K, we're waiting.

One can only hope ...
regardless of whether this helps with the clutch. (which i hope it does, cuz those of us without problems will merely get an even better clutch)
about 90% of the cobalt owners on this forum have no problems with it because they were able to
adjust their driving style to the vehicle.
I guess while we might all be "junior mint racers", some people just have so much ego that they
cannot admit they are unable to do the same.

keep pounding on those pedals how youve always done mr "blue chip racer"
let us know how its workin out for you.

Last edited by an0malous; 11-22-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by damien
That's about right. If it's coming UPS, they are closed today, Friday, and Saturday. So that will be why it isn't coming quickly.
DAMD YOU UPS. That is exactly who its coming through. I tracked it and on the 22nd It was in Jackson MS. I I live about an hour and a half from there so hopefully it will come Monday! Anyway, as soon as I know, you guys will know!!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

You'll have it Tuesday the very latest.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM

DAMD YOU UPS. That is exactly who its coming through. I tracked it and on the 22nd It was in Jackson MS. I I live about an hour and a half from there so hopefully it will come Monday! Anyway, as soon as I know, you guys will know!!
I work at UPS lol.

I wanna know if this will effect the 2.2 also.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:06 AM

Well my car is at my little brother's house. So I'm going over there later this morning and I"m going to finish draining the brakes. Then we are gonna add the new fluid and blled the entire system, brakes and clutch. Then When I get the header in, depending on my work schedule, I'm going to install is as soon as I can. I will let everyone know how she feels. The only draw back I think is that the problem is more of a hot car problem. When I've been driving for a while it happens. And right now it is freezing here in Louisiana. LOL But I'll just give her hell for a while and I'll see what happens!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
I work at UPS lol.

I wanna know if this will effect the 2.2 also.
Where at? I'm in the Lakewood facility. And seeing your in Howell, well I think you'd be there too.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

K, we're waiting.

One can only hope ...

It seems that the junior mint racers don't have clutch issue's . Maybe some people can't adjust to the driveline setup in these cars , it's possible that their used to a specific make and model . Whats that saying about old dog's and new trick's?

Don't get me wrong , i'm sure some people have had faulty clutches from the factory , but to say that the clutch in these cars are junk and GM should recall /put out a tsb for them is jumping the gun. If everyone that had stage2 had a clutch issue i could see , but i see alot of people putting out 250 whp and above on the stock set up with 0 problems . Look at some of the turbo cars , Paul's putting out well over 300whp on the stocker .

Last edited by rukkee; 11-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Here is the "inside information"!!!!

Document ID# 1864872
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Transmission fluid Leak Slipping Clutch Or Broken Axle Shaft - keywords crack housing shift slip #PIP3932 - (09/29/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

2004-2007 Saturn Ion Redline

Equipped with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission (RPO MU3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers have commented about transmission oil in the clutch housing, slipping clutches or broken axle shafts on this model. An analysis of several of these failures has revealed that the problem is due to excessive front wheel hop during WOT acceleration events.

Excessive wheel hop transmits a torsional shock load into the transmission case. This causes the case to crack and transmission fluid to leak into the clutch housing. See photos below.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Stiffer axle shafts and hardware will change the system harmonics and help prevent wheel hop. These planned changes will not be available until the 2008 model year.

Note:: Be advised that failures of this nature are abuse. They are NOT defects in materials or workmanship for which General Motors would be responsible and should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. Vehicles with this complaint should be inspected by the dealer and Area Vehicle Manager. A product report should be submitted on each.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1864872
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
Old 11-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mandk1229
Document ID# 1864872
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Subject: Transmission fluid Leak Slipping Clutch Or Broken Axle Shaft - keywords crack housing shift slip #PIP3932 - (09/29/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

2004-2007 Saturn Ion Redline

Equipped with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission (RPO MU3)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers have commented about transmission oil in the clutch housing, slipping clutches or broken axle shafts on this model. An analysis of several of these failures has revealed that the problem is due to excessive front wheel hop during WOT acceleration events.

Excessive wheel hop transmits a torsional shock load into the transmission case. This causes the case to crack and transmission fluid to leak into the clutch housing. See photos below.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Stiffer axle shafts and hardware will change the system harmonics and help prevent wheel hop. These planned changes will not be available until the 2008 model year.

Note:: Be advised that failures of this nature are abuse. They are NOT defects in materials or workmanship for which General Motors would be responsible and should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. Vehicles with this complaint should be inspected by the dealer and Area Vehicle Manager. A product report should be submitted on each.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1864872
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
Sorry to burst your leap for fame, but that is completely irrelevant to this thread.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 PM

[how is it, it is talking about having his clutch slipping!! this could be the cause for it. should have read the whole thing!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
came out a long while back.

not really to do with whats being talked about here. thats a far more serious issue caused by wheelhop, and will cause extreme clutch issues.

the clutch slip being discussed here is the fact that if the car isnt driven properly, it has the torque push through the clutches grabbing power.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 PM

That has been posted before, it is not the reason for slippage, it is the reason cracked cases. So your saying all of us who have slipping clutches have cracked cases? I dont think so
Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Any updates on this?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Hey guys, I did receive the header on Tuesday afternoon. Started on the brakes and clutch and it got dark, so I got a spot light, then the power went off. So I couldn't finish. I worked late today so I didn't go work on it, tomorrow after work I will be working on finishing everything up. It will Definately be done not later then friday. And for the ultimate test, the track saturday night with the new fluid, colder temps, and the Cobra H/E. I'll post as soon as it gets done!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM

Ok guys, I got the header installed, the cobra h/e installed, and finished bleeding the clutch and brakes. First, after I got everything finished, I started the car and I have a horible exhaust leak. THe flex pipe on my CA downpipe has broken for the 2ND time. But anyway, I only drove it for a limited time, but it def feels better. The real test will be when I'm driving in traffic for a while and everything heats up. I really hope it fixes or at least helps it. I'll def keep you guys updated on how it does with the heat. I love the new H/E, I can def. tell a difference with the heat soak issue. It cools down so much faster after a hard sprint. I've missed my cobalt so much, now if I could just get to drive it for more then a day without a ******* exhasut leak!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 PM

OK guys, well I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but this did not help MY problem, which was mainly the clutch pedal loosing pressure and being very inconsistent. Now as far as the GM guy telling me about it, what can it hurt for you guys with the stock clutch to go ahead and upgrade to DOT4 or higher? If i had heard this while i was running the stock I definately would have upgraded. Now, the slipping I'm not so sure on. I haven't been really hard on the car yet to know if it will slip. It wasn't really slipping bad before. I think it was wheel spin in second, and the motor rev was making me think slippage. I"m taking her to the track tomorrow night. I'll def repost after and tell you guys about the slipping which shouldn't happen. Now back to my original question, does anyone have any idea what could make my pedal sometimes be hard and grab instantly and sometimes almost hit the floor and engage at the last second? All I can think is a seal or something with the clutch master cylinder is going out and allowing it to loose pressure. I'm completely stumped and dishearted with the problem. Anyway, just wanted to post and I'll catch you up tomorrow after the track.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM

the brake fluid resevoir also supplies fluid to the clutch. brake fluid should be flushed at most every 2yrs. or 15000 miles / sounds like a short time but considering heat brakes down the fluid / turns it green /also helps make sure air isn't in the system / i just recently bled my brothers brakes and & clutch & noticed there was slight air coming from the clutch / air will give a bad clutch feeling / flushing the brake fluid first is a good start / $200 hundred is alot / dot 4 has a higher boiling point, but if changed more frequently dot 3 is fine. i can do it for $100...total

Quick Reply: Info from GM about my clutch problems!