Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Manual vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs. Automatic

I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I can drive either and I had my heart set on a manual initially. However it's easier for me to find an automatic. Should I just go with an automatic, or should I wait to find a manual? What are the benefits of a manual besides being fun to drive?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM

gas mileage, modification, you can shift when you want
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Depends on what kind of car you are looking for. Manual cars tend to get better gas mileage and are generally faster in stock form due to better gearing. Some of new cars are automatics are just as fast as the manuals bc technology is getting so good.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM

well if your going to mod your car in the feature you want a manual car... i for one had a automatic before my cobalt and ill tell you myself, ill never go back to automatic! in a manual car basically you control the car with an auto the computer does all the work. also with auto it takes away from your whp while manual does not, and lets say someone wants to race you and your going around 40-50mph, in a manual you can just drop your car into 3rd and go while in a automatic all you can do is step on the gas and hope for the best......and to top it off manual gets better gas mileage.....hope it helped.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 PM

Repairs on a manual transmission are sometimes more often, but less expensive. On an automatic the repairs are less often but more expensive.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM

manual. much more fun to drive.
Banned

If you get stuck in traffic more than once a week, go auto

i speak from experience
Banned

and the best point.................................real men drive manual
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by brickerenator
If you get stuck in traffic more than once a week, go auto

i speak from experience
naw, this is the best point
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

traffic does suck, although its still worth it for me
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM

i get stuck in traffic all the time, after a while you just learn how to deal with it, its not that bad....
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr.Balt407
i get stuck in traffic all the time, after a while you just learn how to deal with it, its not that bad....
ever get stuck in traffic for 4 hours?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Yea. Its not bad tho. The more you drive the less you even have to think bout it. Becomes second nature.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I actually prefer being stuck in traffic with a stick shift. It gives me something to do. The thing that kills me about it is that it's wearing out my clutch faster.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM

The real ss only comes in manual LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 PM

my ss is automatic and faster than alot of the cars on this site that are 5 speed. Its all in what is better for you. Automatic is easier in traffic and once tuned will keep up with a 5 speed. Also automatic is more consistant on the drag strip. We also have a I gear that will take care of the downshifting issue on the highway.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by celicacobalt
my ss is automatic and faster than alot of the cars on this site that are 5 speed. Its all in what is better for you. Automatic is easier in traffic and once tuned will keep up with a 5 speed. Also automatic is more consistant on the drag strip. We also have a I gear that will take care of the downshifting issue on the highway.
truth. While most will jump on the manual's back, its important to notice the auto's benefits too
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM

In all reality auto is for lazyness. Stick
1. car for car will stock for stock will always win
2. Less drive train loss witch means more who
3.better on gas
4. Lighter
5. Less parts easier fix
6. An auto will wear out, a manual does not have wearing parts exc the clutch

And realy if u think driving cobalt in trafic is a bitch.....wow u guys are wimps! The clutch is so soft a baby could hold it down. Try driving a truck.

It was cheaper..... I could only find an auto.... It's faster if u do this this and this.... Trafic sucks in stick................................ Excuses! Y would u want to drive an auto "sports car"? The only logical excuse is u realy can't drive it. example only 1 leg

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
truth. While most will jump on the manual's back, its important to notice the auto's benefits too
Can u explain soMe of these benifits? I'm unaware besides not wanting to shift.

Last edited by gearhead07; 08-04-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by gearhead07
In all reality auto is for lazyness. Stick
1. car for car will stock for stock will always win
2. Less drive train loss witch means more who
3.better on gas
4. Lighter
5. Less parts easier fix
6. An auto will wear out, a manual does not have wearing parts exc the clutch

And realy if u think driving cobalt in trafic is a bitch.....wow u guys are wimps! The clutch is so soft a baby could hold it down. Try driving a truck.

It was cheaper..... I could only find an auto.... It's faster if u do this this and this.... Trafic sucks in stick................................ Excuses! Y would u want to drive an auto "sports car"? The only logical excuse is u realy can't drive it. example only 1 leg

Can u explain soMe of these benifits? I'm unaware besides not wanting to shift.
sure...since your being an ignorant biased 12 year old about it...ill gladly do so.

1) A torque converter will increase torque in the lower power band, and by doing so increase low end power and pick up over a manual transmission.
2) A high stall torque converter will give you even superior launches and power (via raising torque in the higher RPM ranges), and gives the ability for turbocharged cars to be at full boost at 0mph
3) An automatic turbo car wont lose boost between shifts, as the engine is constantly WOT (like NLS is)
4) An automatic never misses a shift, shifts too early, shifts too late, or any other possible driver error (this one is big...no matter how great of a driver you are, every one has the occasional error)
5) An automatic will see significantly less drivetrain breaking wheel hop than a manual
6) An automatic will launch easier every time (tq converter causes power to build over a very short time (sub .2 seconds im sure), whereas a clutch will drop it all at once when engaged, causing wheelspin)
the above reason is also the explanation to why ana uto see's less wheelhop. Power is at the wheels already by brake launching, opposed to waiting at the clutch in a manual.

Those are just the perofrmance benefits btw. Lets see what else there is.
7) Given two transmissions (one auto, one manual) with the same number of gears and the same (or very similar) gear ratios, the automatic will win every single time after the tranny has been tuned (often times before if the car has a performance tuned tranny stock)
8) The obvious "much easier to drive" answer
9) No clutches to replace with stock driving for a loooong time
10) The 4t45e auto can take a LOT more abuse than the F23 manual can in stock form (this is more cobalt specific)
11) Being stuck in traffic isn't a pain in the ass, nor is it hard on a clutch

as for your bolded line, there arent any parts that wear out in an automatic car other than clutch material either... autos just have several clutches (clutch packs to be exact), which means each wears out slower as the wear is being divided up amongst several clutch packs, and if one fails, you can still use other gears, similar to a maanual losing a syncro.

Now, im not saying automatic are better... both styles of transmissions have plenty of ups and downs (many of the manuals better points you listed already), but one sided people like you are the reason why people get such horrible misinformation in this forum, which is why you need to actually learn something about how the transmissions work before you start talking.

You're on par with the people who think there is a clear answer to which is superior: turbo or supercharger.

There is NO CLEAR ANSWER and it will always be application specific, driver preference, and dependant upon how the car will be used. I have a really big feeling you're going to ignore this, claim its BS, claim none of those are good reasons (at which point ill laugh), or something similar, and maintain your one sided, single minded train of thought. Please prove me wrong.

Thank you, and have a good day.

PS: the list is also useful for the OP. Also cleaned up some of the harshness

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 08-04-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks u r right If u do look real deep and hard u can find some reasons. And another thing If u think I don't know what I'm talking about........ Go for it!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 PM

dam guys no reason to go at each others necks its all in what the person wants me personally i will never go back to a auto, one of my co workers perfers a auto over stick unless its a "toy" car
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id rather have stick, wish i could go back and by my cobalt in a 5spd, but at the time it had everything i wanted(cept the manual trans) so i got it lol
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM

i just light the guys car infront of me on fire and yell bomb and then i drive the burm all the way home ... nah not rilly so if that happens that aint me PO PO
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead07
Thanks u r right If u do look real deep and hard
its only looking deep if you didnt already know it in the first place...and since you seem to now all about it..its not looking deep. its right on the surface...

again, there are many pros and cons to both. be willing to learn and understand both sides...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:30 AM

to me if your going to have a modded daily driver i would go stick.... have you ever herd a auto with an exhaust? it doesn't sound that good (trust me i had one) now if your building an all out track car, automatic cars can put down some sick numbers. im just saying if modding is what you crave why buy and auto and then have to spend money to make it as good as a manual car? if your worried about you clutch; buy an aftermarket one and your good, yes its a little more difficult to drive but if you want a sports car then prepare to spend some real $$ and look out for the benefits and difficulties that lie ahead......

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Automatic