Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Need Manual Driving Help..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Manual Driving Help..

Alright, as some of you might know I purchased a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C, to come in any week now.. Anyways, this is my first car.. I have done all my driving lessons..etc.. wrote my license test and all that stuff.. Now I've only driven a manual once, it was my aunts subaru forester and It was very breif, I just want tips on little things etc..
Also another question is... Do you ever feel that shifting is a hastle???
thanks for the help guys
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my best advice is to borrow someones car that's stick to practice on. my dealer where i got my car at teaches people how to drive stick w/ their test drive vehicle. there is no such thing as getting tired of shifting. i absolutely love it and i'm sure you will too. if in doubt just accelerate from a stop and slowly release the cluth until it starts moving. pretty soon you will get the footwork down and it will be a breeze. it's best to practice on a slighty uphill road. good luck and i'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 PM

The only manual I've ever driven is a Dune Buggy we have here on the farm. I think it rules. Never thought of it as a hassle. Only starting on a steep slope is hard for me. My advice? Don't miss any gears. Oh and dont let the clutch out too fast, with not enough throttle. You end up with the "first-gear Chug-a-lug."
Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 PM

I guess the most important thing for a new manual driver is to remember: Don't ride the clutch.

So many people when learning want to slip the clutch when first starting, or keep there foot on the clutch at traffic lights, etc... best thing is to be quick with the clutch (but not so the car jerks, and keep it in neutral at lights until you can start to move.

If nervous on hills, I had a friend that would use the e-brake to prevent from rolling back and release it when he was sure not going to roll back...I swear he still does it to this day.

Oh yeah, unless you are going verrrry slow - don't downshift to first and in heavy trafiic use neutral as much as possible so your not holding the clutch in and shifting just one or two gears back and forth.

You'll get used to it in no time, and won't even have to think twice about it.

But the REAL most important tip, is to have fun with it
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by EverettCobalter

But the REAL most important tip, is to have fun with it

That too.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

somewhat on topic maybe not? i tried this little game in my ss when shifting, and i try not to boost at all, just stay in vac, actually i try to do it as much as possible(save gas) lol, and the car still acclerates good without boosting! go try it! lol
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 PM

shifting will never be a hassle... as far as i can think every car i want will be manual. my ss/sc is my second car and ive been driving for over 3 years now.. and i love just drivin around... my favorite thing to do. And best practice is just to go and do it... my 14 year old brother can drive manual better than alot of people i know... cause I let him drive my car, and hes just perfect at it now.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by silverSS
somewhat on topic maybe not? i tried this little game in my ss when shifting, and i try not to boost at all, just stay in vac, actually i try to do it as much as possible(save gas) lol, and the car still acclerates good without boosting! go try it! lol
accually ive done that too... kinda tricky with these superchargers, because of the instant boost its fun tho
Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 PM

The hardest thing I had with my first manual car was starting on an uphill incline. That can be nerve racking. What I did was just went to an empty parking lot and practiced for a few hours.

I had been out of a manual car for over a year when I bought my SS, but it was no biggy picking right back up where I left off. Now that Im used to the clutch in my car i've gotten just as smooth as shifting as I was in my last car.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by silverSS
this really makes a difference on gas consumption. I also do this so I save gas so I can burn it when I am going to enjoy it the most
Old 10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
The Stig

Basically what everyone said.

It may feel like a hassle at first, but you get so used to it you don't even realize you're shifting.

I love it until I hit traffic. When you're sitting at lights, put it in neutral. Don't keep it in first with your foot on the clutch.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

yea ill be in neutral and at a normal light around here and idoits behind me honk literally the second the light turns green then ride my ass through the intersection and swerve around me like a mad man::keep in mind im minding my own people are always in such a rush around here, but when i had a a/t transmission u could just let go of the brake at an intersection, now it takes 1 more second...Clutch then gear no biggie, youll get used to it, and it will become natural
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 AM

Well that was quick, Thanks for all your input guys
Old 10-06-2005, 12:29 AM

Follow all the advice posted above to get the basics. Don't get frustrated. It will seem like you are not learning. One day you will just get the hang of it, and you will quickly become good at it.

Once you get the basics try these techniques:

1) To shift quicker, pull the gearshift out of gear, depress the clutch (as or immediately after pullining out of nuetral), and pop the shifter into the next highest gear, and gradually match the revs as you release the clutch. When you get used to the gearing and how much gas to give, you cn upshift pretty quick while still using the clutch

2) Heel-Toe Downshifting. This is not something I would start with until you are very comfortable at driving a manual car. At first, downshift by shifting into nuetral, push in the clutch, and press the brake pedal while very slowly releasing the clutch. This should be pretty smooth. You will feel the clutch pressure disc plate clamp onto the flywheel. If there is jerking or a sudden speed drop, you let the clutch out too quickly. Doing this quickly is hard on the tranny and clutch.

OK, back to heel-toe downshifting. This too takes some practice, but you will be able to drive smoother, and downshift incredibly quick, while putting less wear on your car's clutch and transmission.

First, press the brake pedal. As you do this, shift into neutral. Continue braking with the top of your right foot (toes). Depress the clutch with your left foot (you are still breaking with your right foot), and grab the next lower gear. Now while still breaking with the top of your foot, swing your heel or bottom right side of your foot onto the accelerator, and "blip" the throttle by increasing the revs by 2-3K RPMs. You should be able to have your foot comfortably braking and modulating the throttle. GM spaced the SS-SC pedals so that this could be easily done. As you do this let the clutch out slowly. This will take a lot of practice, but you will get used to it and it will be second nature. You will eventually be able to just drop the clutch and get a perfectly smooth shift. It sounds hard, but when you practice it a lot it makes more sense and gets really easy.

If you ever race your car in autocross, this alone will save you an insane amount of time, and protect the car and transmission from wear and tear. This is how race car drivers shift. They can do a shift like this in like half a second. It is amazing!

Good Luck! Patience is the key. You will get it. Try to learn on something other than your SS-SC though because it will be easier due to the racing nature of the SS's clutch, and the fact that it is expensive to replace (it is not covered under warranty). Maybe you have a friend, or neighbour with an old manual car that they would lend to you? Or perhaps you could afford to buy a $200 beater to destroy!

Anyhow, just take your time. Find someone who knows how to drive stick to go with you if you can! That always helps!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:43 AM

Try to get the car moving with out touching the gas. If you can do that then you are good at clutch. The main thing about driving clutch is that there is a sweet spot were the clutch starts to grip. A usual start for me is to rev to 2k and then let out the clutch and hold at sweet spot for 1 to 2 seconds. If I rev higher then I let the clutch out faster. To get the car rolling with out hitting the gas and with out chugging out will need to progessively tap the sweet spot until the clutch is fulling engaged.

Up hill driving from a stop.
rev to to 2k by quickly letting off the brake and taping the gas.
quickly let out clutch to sweet spot and hold till you start moving.
You might have to feather the gas so that you do not bog down or kill the car.

If you are uncomfortable with that the always use the e brake so you do not role back.

It some a lot of practice but I feel you should take it real easy until you get it down they you can start to have fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=DC52NV] there is no such thing as getting tired of shifting. i absolutely love it and i'm sure you will too. Try driving rush hour 101 south to the 202 east interchange JK shifting is a blast just learn in a beater that has a touchy clutch I learned to use a clutch in a '50's model ****** three on the tree Have fun
Old 10-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Banned

Wow I don't think I have anything to add, you guy pretty much covered everything

Originally Posted by DC52NV
there is no such thing as getting tired of shifting. i absolutely love it and i'm sure you will too.
Definitely agree. Getting tired of shifting would be like getting tired of steering and braking, and if thats the case then you better just ride the bus lol
Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is no such thing as getting tired of shifting. i absolutely love it and i'm sure you will too.
Yeah make sure you like shifting if you get an RSX-S
Old 10-06-2005, 02:40 AM

Wow guys you covered all angles if you read every post lol ... Best advice when starting out, an uphill drive. Seriously. Take the car somewhere with a low amount of traffic if any and just practice getting to 3rd. When you get into 3rd stop and do it again. The hardest gears in any stick are the first 3. Too much gas in first will break loose the tires quick and if that happens and you let off the gas to fast and drop the clutch you get the chug a lug. Also like everyone else has said don't leave the clutch depressed halfway or you will burn it.

Take some time to learn how much pressure it will take to get the car to about 2500~3000 rpms before you start your practicing. This will give you an idea of how hard or easy it will be to get it into first. If the engine sounds loud and you aint moving push the clutch back in make sure it is in neutral then wait till the engine calms down and try again. Remember not to press the gas fast.

When you finally get into a rolling first gear DONT SLAM THE GAS. Keep it smooth and even till about 4000 rpm's then depress the clutch and pull the stick back to 2nd gear. Again keep it easy on the gas but you can give it slightly more than first since you are already moving. Try and match your release of the clutch with the push of the gas to keep everything even. If all goes well you should not have any chug a lug. Accell and shift at about 3500~3750 rpms into 3rd and once you are goin good, stop. Then try the same thing again. Try this until you feel that you have a good grasp of the motion.

When coming down a hill or even coming to a stop DO NOT DOWN SHIFT INTO 1ST while moving.

Remember that you can make use of the engine to slow you down slightly and most people do this when they understand the proper speed to down shift into a lower gear. When coming to a turn at speed, down shift into a gear that can match the current speed. It is recommended to down shift before the turn. 30 and lower should belong to 2nd gear since it should bring you to a safe speed by the time you need to turn but don't forget to use your brakes. 30 to 45 should be 3rd and anything above that should not need a down shift unless the situation asks for it. Keep in mind that these are for every day driving and as you become more able to judge a gear to the speed and degree of turn you can make your own descisions on the proper gear to enter.

Your first few days may make your legs tired so don't plan a joy ride right away until you become used to the drive. And of course have fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:52 AM

im in the same boat as him although i will be getting a acura rsx type-s...ive had a few lossons and it doesnt seem too hard
Old 10-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
2) Heel-Toe Downshifting. This is not something I would start with until you are very comfortable at driving a manual car. At first, downshift by shifting into nuetral, push in the clutch, and press the brake pedal while very slowly releasing the clutch. This should be pretty smooth. You will feel the clutch pressure disc plate clamp onto the flywheel. If there is jerking or a sudden speed drop, you let the clutch out too quickly. Doing this quickly is hard on the tranny and clutch.

OK, back to heel-toe downshifting. This too takes some practice, but you will be able to drive smoother, and downshift incredibly quick, while putting less wear on your car's clutch and transmission.

First, press the brake pedal. As you do this, shift into neutral. Continue braking with the top of your right foot (toes). Depress the clutch with your left foot (you are still breaking with your right foot), and grab the next lower gear. Now while still breaking with the top of your foot, swing your heel or bottom right side of your foot onto the accelerator, and "blip" the throttle by increasing the revs by 2-3K RPMs. You should be able to have your foot comfortably braking and modulating the throttle. GM spaced the SS-SC pedals so that this could be easily done. As you do this let the clutch out slowly. This will take a lot of practice, but you will get used to it and it will be second nature. You will eventually be able to just drop the clutch and get a perfectly smooth shift. It sounds hard, but when you practice it a lot it makes more sense and gets really easy.

If you ever race your car in autocross, this alone will save you an insane amount of time, and protect the car and transmission from wear and tear. This is how race car drivers shift. They can do a shift like this in like half a second. It is amazing!
I cannot heel-toe in the SS/SC, the pedals aren't too far apart horizontally, they are vertically. I can't put my toes on the brake and my heel on the accelerator, so I have to do it the opposite way with my heel on the brake and my toes on the accelerator. Works all the same it just takes some getting used to. But since I'm assuming you are all guys you probably have bigger feet than I do, but my tiny feet are too short to do heel-toe with...at least in this car.

As far as autocross, I've never in my life had to downshift on an autocross course, but this is an essential skill if you ever go out and do a track day.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by zinner
Yeah make sure you like shifting if you get an RSX-S
no way i can go back to a 5spd man. 6 speed for life!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM
The Stig

no way i can go back to a 5spd man. 6 speed for life!
I wish the SS/SC had a 6 speed
Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 PM

hehe damn a 6 speed huh ... just imagine how short our first gear would be then
Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MarcS
I wish the SS/SC had a 6 speed
get a 6spd next time and get this hat.

Quick Reply: Need Manual Driving Help..