Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine in and working. I just have a slave cylinder/TOB squeal that goes away when I push the clutch in. It pisses me off because I changed the slave cylinder with a new one too!

Sorry to hear yours isn't working again. Did you get the one that says CANADA on the pressure plate spring inside. The bad one I took out had LUK stamped on the spring inside. PM me if you have any questions.

The new design works great. It passes the roll test, and the squeal from the slave is temporarily fixed with turning the radio up, lol.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:56 PM

i had it towed to the trans shop to take apart
Old 07-04-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally sent mine back yesterday, I had SSL on the inside. They didn't do crap for giving me a call tag so I had to pay the $28 for something I'm not responsible for. I made sure to put a letter and copy of the receipt in the box before UPS taped it up.

I would at least prefer them to send it out 2nd day air when they get it for pete sakes!!! It is taking 7 days just to get there ground.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM

went up there and they said that when the slave pushes in the pressure plate flexes out. its either the plate is losse or the its bottoming out on the flywheel, because i'm the only on with a CM flywheel, but he hasn't taken it apart yet to see the difference in flywheels and checking to see if the plate is loose
Old 07-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Well called CM today, they said they got my clutch yesterday and they will ship out a replacement today.

What bugs me THE MOST is that everyone else had their shipping covered when they sent it back, I had to pay $25 additional dollars to send it back because they didn't have the right ones. I wouldn't care if it was being sent back 2 day because I could get it in this weekend, but of course it won't be in they said until Monday. I even put a letter in the package with a copy of my receipt for the shipping thinking they would care and not a damn thing said! If it doesn't even work I'm just going to send the damn thing back and request a refund...thats crap that I had to pay for shipping it back.

Sorry, just venting but is that not BS?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Hey, SS4Life, I have a CM aluminum flywheel and not having a problem.

Vandy, Call CM, ask for Lonnie, explain your situation and request a refund of your shipping cost. I'm sure he will cover you. if not, let me know. Also, did you request that he send your clutch next day? he has been very cooperative with me and the others here that have been working with them.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it the problem that they never tested the clutch on the cobalts or that clutches are just difficult to install and it's easy to make a mistake?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 AM

They did not do an installation on a Cobalt before putting them on the market. I installed one of their pre-production clutches and had the release issue, but thought that it was air in the system until SS4life and then others had the exact same issue. That is basically when this thread got started, and the whole story is basically documented here. Bottom line is that CM acted in good faith based on input from two pre-production installations (me and some guy in Florida). Unfortunately, as sometimes happens, things are not always as they appear in the beginning.

To address the other part of your question, the install is no trickier than other fwd cars, but the bleeding of the system is a bit tricky. Mike
Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 AM

mine is still fed up but it was bled wrong so i ordered a mityvac and as soon as it gets here ill try then ill know for sure
Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 AM

aight the pressure plate was loose they tighten it now it goes into gear if you push the clutch through the floor, but its making all types of noises, no idea what they are coming from so the trans shop said they don't want to deal with it anymore and they decided to just tow it back to my house, i drove it about 20miles switching gears is a pain, i don't know how i will ever be able to race it, maybe i need to get used to it, but if switch gears slow is hard i can't imagine what its going to be like speed shifting. i am going to take a look at it in the morning any help would be great

and its bleed all the way

I regret getting CM
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 AM

ya i just vacuum bled mine and it didnt fix ****...gotta call em tomorrow or later today or whatever and see what they think now...sucks not being able to shift right
Old 07-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by djt81185
ya i just vacuum bled mine and it didnt fix ****...gotta call em tomorrow or later today or whatever and see what they think now...sucks not being able to shift right

i know i have to actually pay really hard attention to when i am shifting, like i have been driving a 5 speed for about 5 mins.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:19 AM

I'm saying screw it and sending mine back with everyone's issues. Centerforce in the next month to month and a half will have their dual fricition clutch out which should completely flip this problem around.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 AM

ok i'm thinking it might be low on tranny fuild anybody know exactly how to check it, i took the plugs out and filled it to the top plug on the back side of the tranny where the axles go in.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:02 PM

ok not low on tranny fluid its back at the dealer i think the alternator is died it keeps killing batteries.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by SS4LIfe
ok not low on tranny fluid its back at the dealer i think the alternator is died it keeps killing batteries.
Man I feel for you. You said you took both plugs out. The top one is a fill plug the bottom one is a drain plug. Proper procedure is to remove only the top one and fill until it begins to run out. I hope you used the right fluid, otherwise you need to drain and refill with the right stuff. The part number for the right stuff is in your owners manual. It is a saturn m/t fluid. Some special stuff for the F35 trans. Your comment about the battery going dead bothers me. I would rather think that the trans shop did something that caused that. Hope you did not have to pay at the trans shop for a job that was not done right. Give me a call at work tomorrow if you still have my number. Otherwise, PM me and I will give it to you again. This has got to suck for you.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:03 PM

Hey Dan, give me a call at work tomorrow so we can go thru how you bled it in detail. I gotta believe that you are right there and just need to get a bit more air out. Oh by the way, after it sits overnight, is it better when you first use it the next day for say the first 6-10 shifts or so? That is one of the symptoms of there still being air in the system. Also, if you double clutch it, does it shift good? Double clutching involves cycling the clutch a second time in neutral on your way to the next gear. If double clutching helps, that again is a sign that there is still air there.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by vandy0419
I'm saying screw it and sending mine back with everyone's issues. Centerforce in the next month to month and a half will have their dual fricition clutch out which should completely flip this problem around.
Vandy, Centerforce has a real good reputation, but for the tuner market, so does ClutchMasters. Only concern that I have for you is that it is possible, not predicted, but possible that they too could have issues out of the chute with theirs. I hate to see you guys all bummed out still no matter whose clutch it is.

Different subject, can we hook up together on the 29th for the meet south of town? I assume from your screen name that you live in or around Vandalia. My parents live in Huber Heights and that is where I will be going. In fact, if you want to, I would be happy to help you do the install on your clutch either before the meet or we could do it after. With two of us, and my unfortunate experience of having mine out 4 times, we could knock it out in about 4 hours. Let me know. If you want to discuss it, pm me and I will give you my cell number.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by soccer1061287
Hey Dan, give me a call at work tomorrow so we can go thru how you bled it in detail. I gotta believe that you are right there and just need to get a bit more air out. Oh by the way, after it sits overnight, is it better when you first use it the next day for say the first 6-10 shifts or so? That is one of the symptoms of there still being air in the system. Also, if you double clutch it, does it shift good? Double clutching involves cycling the clutch a second time in neutral on your way to the next gear. If double clutching helps, that again is a sign that there is still air there.
can u pm me ur number i always lose it. The vacuum thing doesnt have a gauge but apparently the bubbles were constant coming out from the bottle top...idk well try it again and ill call u...seemed a lil better today
Old 07-26-2006, 12:44 PM

So, hows everyones clutch doing? Any new news on the issues that you guys were having. I'm thinking about buying vandy0419's replaced clutch but i want to make sure i'm not going to get rid of slipping to jump into another problem... So anyone with the Clutch Masters FX400 6-Puck having problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by SStud
So, hows everyones clutch doing? Any new news on the issues that you guys were having. I'm thinking about buying vandy0419's replaced clutch but i want to make sure i'm not going to get rid of slipping to jump into another problem... So anyone with the Clutch Masters FX400 6-Puck having problems.

i still am i think it may be too thick, the disk it self or need to be broken in more but my trans is messed up right now so i'm not sure, but it was pretty hard to switch gears
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 AM

i still am i think it may be too thick, the disk it self or need to be broken in more but my trans is messed up right now so i'm not sure, but it was pretty hard to switch gears
so im still not the only one....
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 AM

so im still not the only one....

yeah i have to push the pedal through the floor to get it to disengage
Old 07-28-2006, 07:35 AM

yeah i have to push the pedal through the floor to get it to disengage

O mine is not that bad...Mine is wwwwaaaayyyy better than the first revision. Try vac bleeding.

Called em yesterday...basically they said u probably bent teh disc...I was like highly unlikely...ya we had troubles gettin it on but we could never get that much pressure on it to bend it...they were like your gonna need to pay up front and well send u a new one and then u send us the old one back and well diagnose...if your prob u gotta pay...I was like no not gonna happen...your gonna send me one then ill send u everything back...this is my 3rd install cause of u. Long story short I got another clutch coming to me...When itll go in idk...when I get the time and money.

Not exactly a happy camper but happier than I was yesterday...well not by much

I'll keep everyone posted
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 AM

you have the stg 4 or 3

Quick Reply: New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!