Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM better f-ing fix this problem with this clutch disengaging or both their clutches they sent me are going to be thrown through their front window and ill make sure everybody and their mother never buys from CM again
Old 06-15-2006, 05:23 PM

^^^^That's funny! I have a frisbe too. I also have a Fidanza flywheel my buddy stripped that I could through too!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just realized that I damaged the splines on the clutch disc putting the trans back in. 2K5SS/SC, you may have hit on the problem here. I am beginning to wonder if the trans on this car is a bit more difficult to get the splines lined up and if not right, the splines on the disc can be damaged, like I just did. Now I cleaned up the splines and will carefully reinstall the trans after I eat. Update to follow.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:11 PM

ok cant wait for the next update
Old 06-15-2006, 08:50 PM

Im not convinced that we need another update at this moment. I found that the alignment tool that they provide with the kit does not have the right size pilot. This engine needs a pilot that is about 20.4 mm or 0.803" in diameter. The one we got with the kits is about half that. As if it is for a crankshaft that has a pilot bearing in it. We do not. Im gonna go see how far along I can get tonight. The trans is bolted loosely to the engine now. If it pilots properly, I could make some real progress tonight.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 PM

The transmission lined up and went in with absolutely no problems this time. I did put a dab of grease on the end of the transmission input shaft and the beginning of the splines. You want to be VERY careful with this cause if any of the grease gets to the disc, it will be slip city. Not to worry about a very small amount though. I spent way too much time tonight locating and securing all the grounds, so the cradle did not get back in. I will finish it up either tomorrow night or saturday afternoon.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the updates. Keep us posted. I have a few options on the table at the moment. It's time to make the hard decisions now.....
1. Send clutch back for refund if possible, or wait on more developments.
2. Get a Spec Stage 2+, since it seems to be working for everyone.
3. Put stock clutch back in, strip car to stock, and trade it in
Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Thanks for the updates. Keep us posted. I have a few options on the table at the moment. It's time to make the hard decisions now.....
1. Send clutch back for refund if possible, or wait on more developments.
2. Get a Spec Stage 2+, since it seems to be working for everyone.
3. Put stock clutch back in, strip car to stock, and trade it in
that is tough.

This clutch issue sux anyway you look at it. But I have not heard many good things about SPEC and trading in the car means u take a hit.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 AM

i had the front wheels off the ground and drove it like a dyno (i know not good without a fan) and it shifted though all the gears fine, so i put it back on the ground and then it wouldn't go in any gear. I'm not sure if it was rev matching when the wheels were up. and i notice my bleeder screw wasn't closed all the way, i was using a 3/8 but i think its a 9mm and of course i can't find mine. so tomorrow i will try to vacuum bleed through the bleeder screw and reservoir.

but it might be the pressure plate since only clutch master people are having problems. but with vacuum bleeding does the really matter since me aren't using pressure of the pressure plate to bleed it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 AM

yeah thats exactly what the MIGTY VAC i got too, and my home depot and craft stores around here suck and i am using a bath tub stopper it works.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM

hey 2K5SS/SC, I just got off the phone with SS4LIfe and recommended that he wait till tomorrow to do anything to see if mine is right. I think it will be. There are two possibilities that I have come up with. 1. We have done damage to the splines installing the trans (just a burr is enough to cause a problem) or 2. It is possible that some of the version 2 pressure plates had the wrong spring in them (Lonnie says he is confident that mine is the right spring, but possible that yours and SS4LIfe is the wrong one). I know that this is disturbing, but try not to go off on him. He discovered this when he got the first shipment of the new plates in, that some had a different spring inside the pressure plate. My car will be fully buttoned up tomorrow and I will post the results or you can look at the PM I sent you and give me a call.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soccer1061287
hey 2K5SS/SC, I just got off the phone with SS4LIfe and recommended that he wait till tomorrow to do anything to see if mine is right. I think it will be. There are two possibilities that I have come up with. 1. We have done damage to the splines installing the trans (just a burr is enough to cause a problem) or 2. It is possible that some of the version 2 pressure plates had the wrong spring in them (Lonnie says he is confident that mine is the right spring, but possible that yours and SS4LIfe is the wrong one). I know that this is disturbing, but try not to go off on him. He discovered this when he got the first shipment of the new plates in, that some had a different spring inside the pressure plate. My car will be fully buttoned up tomorrow and I will post the results or you can look at the PM I sent you and give me a call.
"crosses fingers"

Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
CM better f-ing fix this problem with this clutch disengaging or both their clutches they sent me are going to be thrown through their front window and ill make sure everybody and their mother never buys from CM again
I will be sure to duck!

But really I can't appologize enough for this irritating issue and we are doing every thing we can to recall all the original kits and get this problem fixed ASAP. We have finally found one of our local speed shops that have an ss/sc that is willing to help us test some differant options to find out why we are having so many issues with these cars.

Mike, definitly keep all of us posted on your proggress with the newer pressure plate with the right diaphram.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by clutchmasters
I will be sure to duck!

But really I can't appologize enough for this irritating issue and we are doing every thing we can to recall all the original kits and get this problem fixed ASAP. We have finally found one of our local speed shops that have an ss/sc that is willing to help us test some differant options to find out why we are having so many issues with these cars.

Mike, definitly keep all of us posted on your proggress with the newer pressure plate with the right diaphram.
That is good news

Dan
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by clutchmasters
I will be sure to duck!

I'm sorry but all i hear iS blah blah blah, it takes me two days to take my car apart and put it back together, an adverage of 6 hours each time, working by myself on my back with hand tools no power anything. I can't go on my vacation, because i have no car, my grandmother passed away this week i can't go to GA. because i have no car, i don't have $900 for a plane ticket either. I pay over $900 a month for this car, between payment and insurence. and all its doing is setting in my garage. I didn't expect all these problems when i brought this clutch, i figured bolt it up break it in and be done, not bolt it up, it breaks stuff, unbolt it, bolt it back up, and maybe have to do it again. but i don't just blame you....

i blame GM too, why is the clutch so crappy, why is everything on this car soo f'ing sensative that it doesn't work. i really regret getting this car, they said they were making a car to be modded and tuner friendly, but no mod goes on with out problems, either is takes forever for something simple or CEL comes on, unless it comes from GMPP and theirs sucks no gain but alot of money wasted. Why couldn't they make a regular throw out like everyone else, why do i need this huge engine cradle, why is every dealership busy for the whole week, how come people at the dealer have no idea about this car, "a supercharged cobalt i didn't know we made those, and i sure as hell don't know whats wrong with it, i can get it in 2 weeks from now."

I SHOULD HAVE JUST GOT A USED EVO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM

i got my redesigned clutch in the mail today, if i got mine after you soccer then mine should have the right springs cuz all the ones with the wrong spings in them should have been found, my new clutch was shipped straight from clutchmasters.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:15 PM

when you took the fuild line off of the tranny did you take it off at the tranny or fire wall, i took mine off at the fire was because the one on the tranny was too hard to get to, what about everyone else.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:30 PM

SS4Life-I took it off at the tranny.

I guess I have the crappy spring as my damn clutch won't release or go into gear without damn near popping my shoulder out of place! I think in order for me to try another pressure plate, I will need a guarantee it'll work properly this time. I cannot afford to deal with this problem anymore because I'm closing on my new house Monday.

I should have bought the 06' WRX I test drove before the SS!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
SS4Life-I took it off at the tranny.

I guess I have the crappy spring as my damn clutch won't release or go into gear without damn near popping my shoulder out of place! I think in order for me to try another pressure plate, I will need a guarantee it'll work properly this time. I cannot afford to deal with this problem anymore because I'm closing on my new house Monday.

I should have bought the 06' WRX I test drove before the SS!
dood keep your chin up, clutchmasters, any way of identifying the springs in question on the pressure plate?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM

exactly what would the spring have to do with the clutch releasing.

what i don't get is, we push the clutch in and the bearing goes comes in, you let the clutch out and the bearing goes out against the clutch, how is that working, to me it doesn't make sense. wherever the pedal goes the bearing goes the opposite direction.

what is that huge thing ontop of the bleeder is that because of the fuild line.

a dealership told me that you have to swith it to the bleed position to get the air that goes to the slave, i asked how do i do that and he didn't know.

Last edited by SS4LIfe; 06-16-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM

these problems make me regret not spending the $55 extra a month and getting a 2006 350Z
Old 06-16-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
dood keep your chin up, clutchmasters, any way of identifying the springs in question on the pressure plate?
Ok, for those of you who have recieved the new design recently, they all have the thicker diaphram spring (Other than Mike's, aka: soccer1061287). We sent Mike the new thinner spring design next day air and he will install it over the weekend. So I would suggest that you wait for Mike's word after the install if it is good to go finally, and I assume that Mike has some of your phone numbers to keep in touch, if not I am sure he will give us a detailed post on the forums.

For those of you who recieved the newer clutch, I hate to say it, but please get ahold of Lonnie one more time to get it switched out for the newest redesign after we get a confirmation from Mike that it works flawlessly.

Were counting on you Mike! Thanks for all your hard work and help on these clutches, I am confidant that we will have a winner this time around!

Last edited by clutchmasters; 06-16-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SS4LIfe
exactly what would the spring have to do with the clutch releasing.

what i don't get is, we push the clutch in and the bearing goes comes in, you let the clutch out and the bearing goes out against the clutch, how is that working, to me it doesn't make sense. wherever the pedal goes the bearing goes the opposite direction.

what is that huge thing ontop of the bleeder is that because of the fuild line.

a dealership told me that you have to swith it to the bleed position to get the air that goes to the slave, i asked how do i do that and he didn't know.
basically think of it this way, if the springs are too strong they will push the fingers back into the release bearing, keeping the plate pushing on the clutch, when you push the pedal down the release bearing pushes the fingers which thru lever action pulls the plate away from the disc letting the disc go free. If those fingers are resisting the release bearing then that could cause the disc not to release the disc.

Feel free to correct me if Im off on some of it, this is a basic function of a clutch system.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:34 PM

hopin for the best if you can get this worked out ill be gettin a cm in the future
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 PM

i think clutchmasters is doing a great job in resolving this issue with us. i'm glad to see them taking the time to change their product on the fly so it works for us. we should all be thankful to soccer1061287 and 2K5SS/SC? for their patience with getting these things fitted and tested.

if this works out i will be going with clutchmasters instead of spec.

Quick Reply: New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!