Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
basically think of it this way, if the springs are too strong they will push the fingers back into the release bearing, keeping the plate pushing on the clutch, when you push the pedal down the release bearing pushes the fingers which thru lever action pulls the plate away from the disc letting the disc go free. If those fingers are resisting the release bearing then that could cause the disc not to release the disc.

Feel free to correct me if Im off on some of it, this is a basic function of a clutch system.

aren't the spec finger made just like the stock ones.

and you are right http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 PM

I think I'll bite one more time if it works on Mike's car. Then, it's to the dealership for a trade if it doesn't work out! I'm osrry if I seem to be a little whiney when crap goes wrong with my car, but it happens all the time to me so it gets frustrating if you know what I mean.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by clutchmasters
Ok, for those of you who have recieved the new design recently, they all have the thicker diaphram spring (Other than Mike's, aka: soccer1061287). We sent Mike the new thinner spring design next day air and he will install it over the weekend. So I would suggest that you wait for Mike's word after the install if it is good to go finally, and I assume that Mike has some of your phone numbers to keep in touch, if not I am sure he will give us a detailed post on the forums.

For those of you who recieved the newer clutch, I hate to say it, but please get ahold of Lonnie one more time to get it switched out for the newest redesign after we get a confirmation from Mike that it works flawlessly.

Were counting on you Mike! Thanks for all your hard work and help on these clutches, I am confidant that we will have a winner this time around!
so u mean to tell me that the fx300 i ordered on the 8th of june and is basically installed at the dealership needs a newer part?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Not just a newer part, but a entirely new pressure plate! Call Lonnie on Monday and get it squared away. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey 2K5SS/SC, I'm encouraged to see that you have the energy to give it one more try. Personally, I am just grateful that Lonnie called me today to tell me not to finish my install, that he was sending Version 3. For all of you that are getting disgruntled out there, I have two things to say 1. You ought to be grateful that CM is working so closely to get it right and 2. This will be my fourth time of putting the trans in. I'm not sure, but I think I may have even done it in my sleep one night, lol. This has not been fun for any of the four of us that have done it multiple times, but in a way, by going thru the pain, we are being a living part of the solution and not a part of the problem. We can be pissed off but I have yet to get my clutch working right by being pissed at it and believe me, I have tried. I'm going to go out and pull the trans so when the new clutch gets here, I will be ready for it and oh by the way, a thinner spring in the pressure plate is directionally correct any way you look at it.
Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 10:47 PM

I hear that one. My friend and I did the Version 1.0 clutch install. It was a 9-10 hour ordeal on a lift. The car still made a squal like before, so GM took it apart a discovered we fixed the squeal and made a new one. Version 2.0 was installed on the car, and it won't disengage. I will try version 3.0 after you install it Mike , and after the car has the door repainted from GM major screw up! Then i have to get the dealership to replace the coolant bottle, and I should be all set.

If not, I got a quote for an new WRX TR for $22,300. Much easier car to mod as well.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 PM

OK, the clutch is back out again. Good thing for my mental state that I did not have it completely buttoned up. 2K5SS/SC, we just bought an 06 EVO9 MR this week for advertising for our business. Once it gets a thousand miles on it, we are going to take it and the Cobalt to the strip and put them up against one another. Not really fair to the EVO, cause with the bottle, I'm putting down ~350 HP to the wheels. But the EVO has AWD which really rocks for cornering. This is not an EVO commercial, just to say that there is something to be said for being on the leading edge of technology (Cobalt) vs getting something that everything is already proven on where you just spend money and bolt parts on. All you pioneers out there that like a challenge and are not really sure what the term "give up" means, ring in on this one. Any of you guys that live near Detroit or Ann Arbor that would be willing to spend 2-3 hours tomorrow afternoon or sunday afternoon to be a part of the install, PM me. Otherwise, I will keep all the fun to myself.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:53 AM

just got my redesigned clutch when i got home from work, started putting it in around 530 and i just finished up, everyting works fine, car goes into gear with no problem, no grinding, no nothing, nice and smooth. Grabs like no other and i love it. Glad i waited and got the problem fixed. Thanks CM for helping everyone out.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by clutchmasters
Ok, for those of you who have recieved the new design recently, they all have the thicker diaphram spring (Other than Mike's, aka: soccer1061287). We sent Mike the new thinner spring design next day air and he will install it over the weekend. So I would suggest that you wait for Mike's word after the install if it is good to go finally, and I assume that Mike has some of your phone numbers to keep in touch, if not I am sure he will give us a detailed post on the forums.

For those of you who recieved the newer clutch, I hate to say it, but please get ahold of Lonnie one more time to get it switched out for the newest redesign after we get a confirmation from Mike that it works flawlessly.

Were counting on you Mike! Thanks for all your hard work and help on these clutches, I am confidant that we will have a winner this time around!
Ok my clutch just showed up yesterday...the new one from you guys...v1 is in my car...so this new one is what version...do I need to send this one back and request another...cause cobalt ss313 got his the same day as I did and he says it works fine.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 AM

i hope CM pays for someone else to do this clutch because I would rather shoot myself in the foot, and am i suppose to be taking it out or what, i have 2.0 in right now, and sent 1.0 back yesterday, when is 3.0 getting here, but you know what i bet 4.0 is going to be the one that works lol

is everyone getting 3.0 or just you mike

Last edited by SS4LIfe; 06-17-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
just got my redesigned clutch when i got home from work, started putting it in around 530 and i just finished up, everyting works fine, car goes into gear with no problem, no grinding, no nothing, nice and smooth. Grabs like no other and i love it. Glad i waited and got the problem fixed. Thanks CM for helping everyone out.

You have version 3.0 and it works! Please post a damn video for proof because if it works great I will be excited! Did you call Lonnie and let him know? If I can have my car by the end of next week running tip top shape I'll be stoked!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM

i dont know what version mine is all i know is that it works..i never saw a sticker on it or anything that said what version it was.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM

take it out of the car and look again LOL

just kidding. are there any codes on the box that might indicate anything?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:24 PM

i dont know what version mine is all i know is that it works..i never saw a sticker on it or anything that said what version it was.

there isn't a sticker, thats just something we made up, because this will be our third clutch from them (3.0)

1.0 too tall rubs inside of tranny
2.0 teeth/springs too strong won't go into gear
3.0 better be just right and work fine.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 PM

so have we got these issue resolved?????

I want the CM stg4 6puck clutch due to price when compared to the spec 3+ but hearing all these problums has some what changed my mind untill this issue gets fixed.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 PM

I'll call Lonnie Monday morning, and see if he got the 3.0 version. If it is what he got, I'll get him to send me it so we can do this for the last time.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 PM

now when it comes to ordering one of the these moded version3 clutch's is there any way to Guarantee that i get one????
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 PM

sweet good new time to start saving for a stage 2 and a new clutch
Old 06-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
now when it comes to ordering one of the these moded version3 clutch's is there any way to Guarantee that i get one????
Lonnie seems to be inspecting all the pressure plates before they go out the door. The only way to make sure is for him to take a look at it before it ships.

Last edited by 2K5SS/SC?; 06-17-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:34 PM

im assuming that if version 1 and 2 dont work, and mine works fine then im assuming that i must have version 3. also i dont exactly have a video camera to record with and i definatley wouldnt lie about it. No i didnt call lonie cause i figured soccer was already talking to him about the problem with version 2. Whatever it was i dont have that problem cause everyting is working fine. Shifts just like any normal car would.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:30 PM

This is one FRICKIN bittersweet day for me. I am convinced that CobaltSS313 has what I have dubbed version 3 which is exactly as 2K5SS/SC described it above. CM did not come up with this version 1, 2 and 3 stuff, I did. There is no way for you to tell the difference from what I know. The difference between 2 and 3, as I call it is that 3 has a thinner diaphragm spring than 2. You would have to know what it looks like and where to find it in the pressure plate and even then, measuring it is difficult.

Now for the bad news. My version 3 clutch did not arrive today, so it will be monday or tuesday before I have it in and running. Based on what CobaltSS313 said, I would say that if you can CONFIRM that you have the thinner diaphragm in the pressure plate, put it in and you will be good to go. The ONLY way to know is to have Lonnie confirm this for you if your clutch is already in your hands.

If you are considering a clutch upgrade for your car, I would have to recommend CM because they have been outstanding in their response and responsiveness on this issue. When I realized today that UPS did not leave the cluch here, I called CM and read the riot act to the poor person that had the misfortune of answering the phone. And I mean I went off on this guy for like 5 minutes. He listened and apologized and made NO excuses. That's a sure sign of an upright organization. Oh then I apologized for going off on him, cause there is absolutely nothing that can be done to get that clutch from the local UPS place to my house before monday. It sucks but its true.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:53 PM

What is the defference between version 2 and version 3? Are the springs in the clutch disk different?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:20 PM

What is the defference between version 2 and version 3? Are the springs in the clutch disk different?

i believe its the fingers/teeth/springs (a lot of different names for it) on the pressure plate, that are in the middle and i want one on monday or tuesday
Old 06-17-2006, 05:23 PM

o yah the clutch fingers are at much more of an angle that the first one i got from CM which i believe is version 1 because the clutch plate in general was to thick, i dont know what version 2 looks like, im assuming it has the thinner plate but doesnt have the higher angle clutch fingers?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:46 PM

Soccer- I went the the UPS place just as they are closing to pick my first clutch kit up. They didn't leave it at my door, so I called to see when the trucks would arrive back at the warehouse and got my clutch kit! Give it a try and Get R Done!

Quick Reply: New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!