Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah its the lastest one, the tow truck just towed it to the dealer (how come cars look much better on a tow truck) so i will let you know something tomorrow, my dealer is open from 730-500 i don't know what kind of hours those are but i told them my clutch needed to be bleed and i think the battery is dead thats why its acting funny
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin, did you disconnect the negative battery cable while you were working on it? I am curious as to why your battery would be dead. Also, I thought you had a mighty vac to bleed it with. I was talking with one of the other technicians that works on the cobalt clutches today and he prefers the traditional bleeding method. If you use the traditional method, there is a slight deviation from the way I am accustomed to doing it. Put a piece of hose on the bleeder and the other end of the hose in a container of brake fluid. With the clutch pedal on the floor, crack the bleeder open and pull the pedal to the top. Sounds strange, but he says it works and it does make sense. Let us know how it all works out. I am getting ready to go out and finish pulling mine and fix whatever is causing the leak. Also, I bought some polyurethane resin on the net and I am going to convert my front and rear mounts to polyurethane mounts. I am even going to mix in some blue powder coat to give it some color. The hardness of this stuff is 75 shore D, which should be just right for this job. If this works out, I might start making those also.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 PM

Soccer, get that clutch working first please!

SS4Life, I hope you get it all sussed out. If it doesn't disengage this time when I do it, I'll drive the damn car off a bridge!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 PM

looks like i have version 2 installed bc when the clutch is to the floor and i hit the gas.. thecar slightly moves.. im callin lonnie bc when i called and ordered they said it was the latest version and i cant afford another clutch install.. and on top of that the clutch was installed already when "version 3" came out
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 PM

2k5SS/SC, I should have it all back together tomorrow night. I have a high degree of confidence that they got it right this time. But as know, the proof is in the pudding. BTW, the mounts have to be done to finalize the installation. What I am going to do is once the trans is back in, before I button up the cradle and associated crap, I am gonna bleed it and test it for full release. Today was the wifes birhtday, so I had to spend some of the evening with her. Kinda slowed me down on the car for the evening.

PuSha050 - Are you sure that it was bled completely? Also, how does it shift when driving? If it is right, it will shift like it always did. Otherwise, it will have hard shifts with high efforts. On what date did you talk to Lonnie to determine that you had the latest clutch? This is starting to get complicated keeping track of the timing of each version and event. I am convinced that version 3, properly installed and bled, is a home run. On the other hand, I relate to the skepticism that a hand full of you have since you have been through this once or twice, or as in my case, 4 times (although the 4th time was my own fault for not tightening up the fitting to the slave cylinder).

djt81185 - what is the status of your need for my slave cylinder, because once I confirm that I do not need it, I will make it available to the first person out here that convinces me that they are in the middle of the swap and need/want to replace the slave. Should only cost about $8.00 for shipping USPS priority mail. you would probably have it the next day. Assuming I don't need it, I could ship it to you first thing friday and you would likely have it on saturday.

Vandy - I agree with you that the line will fit into the master cylinder, but is the bolt pattern the same? Are the external dimensions for the MC the same between the Corvette and Cobalt? Does the Corvette MC require the same stroke as the Cobalt? Not trying to be a nay sayer, but have had engineers here at GM that were responsible for clutch pedals and I can tell you that the mechanical advantage and hence the stroke imarted to the master cylinder is different for nearly every program. I would just hate to see you go through all the work and end up finding out it wont work. Keep in mind that any sheet metal or other modifications that you must make to retrofit the Corvette MC should be reversible in case you decide to not do it in the long run. I will poke around with the development guys out at Milford Proving Grounds on friday when I am out there. Hope to get my reflash at that time too.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
there is no need to get a vette master cylinder if you have the right clutch and pressure plate plus the slave cylinder they give you(same as stock only brand new) everything should work just fine, there should be no need for modification

question.....when you order a CM clutch they give you a new slave cylinder?

is that true?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by soccer1061287
PuSha050 - Are you sure that it was bled completely? Also, how does it shift when driving? If it is right, it will shift like it always did. Otherwise, it will have hard shifts with high efforts. On what date did you talk to Lonnie to determine that you had the latest clutch? This is starting to get complicated keeping track of the timing of each version and event. I am convinced that version 3, properly installed and bled, is a home run. On the other hand, I relate to the skepticism that a hand full of you have since you have been through this once or twice, or as in my case, 4 times (although the 4th time was my own fault for not tightening up the fitting to the slave cylinder).
well the service manager said it did take quite a while to bleed, but he assured it was done completely. while driving it shifts fine as long as the foot is to the floor as it grabs very low. i talked to lonnie on monday june 12th and he said it was the latest version. whats is high effort is when stopped first and reverse.. and the fact that when the clutch is to the floor and i hit the gas above like 4000 rpms, the car moves a lil bit.. the only problem im really worried about is i cant afford to pay anyone to basically redo my clutchjob. i aint loaded bc of me being 20 in college payingfor my own car
Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 AM

Pusha050, you're clutch isn't disengaging. That is what happened with my second version. You will never be able to shift fast or drive normal if the clutch doesn't disengage completely, and it'll definately be harder on the tranny. Not good at all. If you have the final version, I don't want to even bother installing the one that is on the way. I'll wait and see if Soccer's install goes well. I surely do hope so. This just plain sucks for all of us.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by PuSha050
well the service manager said it did take quite a while to bleed, but he assured it was done completely. while driving it shifts fine as long as the foot is to the floor as it grabs very low. i talked to lonnie on monday june 12th and he said it was the latest version. whats is high effort is when stopped first and reverse.. and the fact that when the clutch is to the floor and i hit the gas above like 4000 rpms, the car moves a lil bit.. the only problem im really worried about is i cant afford to pay anyone to basically redo my clutchjob. i aint loaded bc of me being 20 in college payingfor my own car
Same here 20 in college paying for car...that is why my car is in a million pieces on my buds floor.

Got the trans off today. CLutch pressure plate was rubbing the hell out of the trans case. From what I'm seeing my slave cylinder is fine...ill get a better look at it tomorrow. Hardest part is going to be remembering where all the bolts go there is like a million of them. My bud dan is going to be throwing up pics soon.

Dan
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 AM

i took it to the dealer and they are suppose to be bleeding it today, so i can't try the different way of bleeding, i thought i was doing it wrong thats why i took it to them and yes i had the negative cable off, i guess a month of seating in a gargage not being used and it died, and if i still have a problem i want a refund, because if the dealer can't bleed it, its not going to get done.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:36 AM

now they are saying they won't be able to do anything till monday, i offically hate chevy now, the dealership is empty i don't know why it would take that long, and one person says one thing and the other something else, if you don't owe a lot on your car trade it now because it looks like some problems down the road.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM

^^^That is bullshit! It's only Thursday!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM

there is no need to get a vette master cylinder if you have the right clutch and pressure plate plus the slave cylinder they give you(same as stock only brand new) everything should work just fine, there should be no need for modification

is that true?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 06black

is that true?
yes they give you a new slave cylinder, it is the same one you have in you car stock but just brand new, same GM part numbers and everything.

and yes you dont have to make any modifications to get the clutch to work, i got the redesigned clutch from clutchmasters, put it in, bolted it back together, and drove it right outta my buddies garage with no problems what so ever.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:28 PM

yes they give you a new slave cylinder, it is the same one you have in you car stock but just brand new, same GM part numbers and everything.

and yes you dont have to make any modifications to get the clutch to work, i got the redesigned clutch from clutchmasters, put it in, bolted it back together, and drove it right outta my buddies garage with no problems what so ever.

how did you bleed it, i didn't change my slave because i figured it would be more trouble since they just don't go bad over night. and i didn't have the right tool to get it out and didn't want to strip the bolts that hold it in, so part lazy and part didn't want more problems to come up.

i think you are the only one to say it works no problem with the redesigned clutch
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM

how many if any instals have gone perfect with the new "version 3" unit?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM

well i called CM and spoke to lonnie. he said i got the latest version and that it needs to be broken in. i mean the car shifts fine was long as the pedal is pushed to the floor. i only got 60miles on the thing so we'll have to see how it goes in a cpl weeks. after my week at seaside i should have almost 1000 miles on the clutch

the bad part is when the dealer installed my new gauge cluster they scratched the hell outta my stearing column so now i have a bunch of white, deep scratches on the top of my steering column.. i brought it back today, n spoke to the service manager... im bringin it back in a week to have it looked at and then fixed
Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 PM

all i can say is i would recommend changing the slave cylinder after every clutch install, after i installed the faulty clutch from CM and it wouldnt work i obviously had to tear apart the tranny again so when me and my dad tore apart the tranny the second time as soon as we cracked the tranny brake fluid came pouring out, thats right, the slave cylinder had a blown seal and therefore would not let the air get completely out of the system when you would try to bleed it, everytime i would pump the pedal it would suck in more air as it also pushed the air out. You cant physically see that it is has a blown seal but what other reason would there be for brake fluid to be leaking out of the tranny, i mean come on common sense.

So i highly recommend putting a new slave cylinder in your car if you have already installed a faulty clutch kit from clutch masters, make sure they send you a new one.

Maybe this is why some of the version 3s are still not working in the cars?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:36 PM

my clutch works fine, so i think thats 3

1. CobaltSS313
2. PuSha050
3. Jekyl
Old 06-22-2006, 03:48 PM

well 3 is better than i exspected...i'm gonna give it a week or so and see how things work out for ya'll
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM

my slave is fine from what i see...which is weird

Dan
Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM

i'm talking about me, soccer1061287, and 2K5SS/SC?

i inspected my slave everytime and didn't see any fuild or anything like that i think i'm just bleeding it wrong.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys per Lonnie....

If you look inside the pressure plate where the fingers meet the springs in that area, look for a stampin that says
CAN or CDA or CNK something referring canada, if it says LUK DO NOT USE IT!

that is the bad one to use for us!

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 PM

it says CANAD
Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 AM

Since mine is not apart right now, I cannot tell you if mine has the reference to Canada, but it is a Sachs pressure plate. I have been having a heck of a good time. took the trans back out tonight, replaced the slave with another new one. Put the trans back in and I still am sucking large quantities of air. Two brand new slave cylinders cannot both be bad. I must have a leak in a line somewhere but I will be damned if I can find it. Not thrilled right now, but I will find the leak. I think tomorrow, I am going to purchase new lines and install them. Who knows, maybe a line got pinched or something.

PuSha050 - My guess is that you still have some trapped air in your lines. Small amounts of air will self bleed over the course of several days. You might try this - before you park it for the night, pump the pedal very quickly 25-30 times, making sure the pedal cycles all the way each time. This will help break up any air bubbles that may be left and they will work their way out overnight. my guess is that you will note that the pedal is better first thing in the morning and deteriorates slightly as you drive throughout the day.

2k5SS/SC - Sorry I did not call you back, but I erased your message thinking that your number would be stored in my phone. It was not. Call me back tomorrow and we can discuss.

djt81185 - I am not surprised that your slave does not look bad. The main reason to replace the slave is because you are in there anyway, so it is a cheap insurance policy. It would appear that it is not a cheap insurance policy though casue I am hearing and experiencing too much about slave cylinders.

I am going to be out at Milford Proving Grounds tomorrow and I will poke around a bit and see if anyone is aware of any quality spills on the slave cylinders.

06black - Hey if you want to get together on saturday, you can help me and I can help you. Also, I could put my eyes on your clutch and see if it looks like the v3 to me. I am very confident that v3 is a home run. I just need to kill my hydraulic leak so I can prove it to myself once and for all.

Quick Reply: New CM FX300 Kit I Received Today!