Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Normal or potential clutch/trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal or potential clutch/trans problem

Today I noticed something for the first time while driving my stock SS/TC with 12,000 miles. I was at a stop, accelerated in 1st, shifted to 2nd, and I sensed something different. It was like the engine rpm held for 0.25-0.5 seconds after completely getting off the clutch. I could tell by the engine sound that the rpm did not drop immediately on completion of the upshift. I was shifting at less than 2,500 rpms. Same thing happened on my shift from 2 to 3, and that time I watched the tach. I pushed in the clutch, moved the gear lever, and released the clutch all the way and then 0.25 seconds later the rpm dropped several hundred rpms.

Most days I have the stereo on and don't hear ever nuance that my car makes, but today I had the stereo off. I am wondering if this has been going on for a while with my car and is a possible tell tale sign of trouble. Or is this normal and my car has always been this way?

Another thing I have been noticing is the motion of the shifter. The feel varies depending on the speed I conduct the throw and possibly the driving conditions like rpm and vehicle speed. Sometimes I feel like the 1 to 2 shift is springy, like something is resisting my throw and pulling it to the side, but it still works. Sometimes on the 3 to 4 shift it feels like a grinding and I hear an audible noise. Should the shifter make any noise when shifting?

I have been experimenting with the speed of my throws, and it seems that if I move slowly (approximately 1 second) the shift feel is worse. If I do the throw more quickly and with some force it seems to feel more normal. Sometimes if I go real quick on a downshift from 5 to 4, it hits a wall and does not go in.

When I first got this car I learned how to drive a manual on it. I recall having more buttery-smooth feeling throws when I first started driving this car. It seemed like the shift lever would move to the next gear almost by itself without resisting. All I had to do was move the thing up or down and it would go to the proper gear. Now I feel like it has to be X cm up and X cm to the right, aiming the thing or it does not feel right.

Any advice, thoughts, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read all this.