Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the stock clutch
Clutch is great
26.75%
Clutch does great when i drive it properly.
47.75%
Clutch doesnt do so great, but i know its my fault
10.50%
Clutch is completely at fault. hate it.
15.00%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.

Im sick of having this argument with people.

People just seem to be unable to accept that their vaunted driving skills might be the
cause of the issue, instead of automatically blaming it on a part.

So id like people to vote honestly.

Remember, be honest, because we all know we have slipped the clutch before. and 95% of us are secure enough to admit when its driver error.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have no problems now thats its been a few months and that I have been able to adjust to it. it held up to the beating i put on it when learning how to drive stick.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clutch is too sensitive. Its been said from all the people that have driven it. Sure it can hold power as its been proven. Its driver error though for which why it slips...due to it being sensitive. It works for me though, just took some time getting used to.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM

clutch is great. as long as you treat it right there are no problems. the way a clutch should be driven. anomalous- i think your vids are a must watch for new owners. ha
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Well Ive had this car for like 2-3 months, and Im still learning to drive it everyday. Ive done good the past few days, still hang on to the clutch to long in first though. All its suckyness is due to it being the first stick ive owned (although I could drive stick before this car).... I think the clutch does great when the drivers good! Mine doesnt slip at all for the 2k miles ive put on it, but I shift at 3 grand.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 PM

honestly ive been driving stick all my life...back roads of country farms and so forth... Now as for driving some cars, ive only driven clutches from multiple jeeps, to a cavalier, to a honda, to audis, to volskwagons and so forth....

My clutch holds some times, and i no i can drive so i no it isnt me, when i launch the car i feather the throttle and it slips like hell from 1st to second and sometimes even from 2nd to third.... Thing is i no it isnt me because it doesnt happen all the time, it happens once every blue moon like out of every 10 races it happens once.... The clutch is good but i had to vote it is **** for the car i completely hate it... My friends see it, ive had friends drive with me, ive had friends drive it and these are people who have experiences with drag racing for multiple years....
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM

the only time i do not like the clutch is driving in city traffic....but otherwise its great
Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
honestly ive been driving stick all my life...back roads of country farms and so forth... Now as for driving some cars, ive only driven clutches from multiple jeeps, to a cavalier, to a honda, to audis, to volskwagons and so forth....

My clutch holds some times, and i no i can drive so i no it isnt me, when i launch the car i feather the throttle and it slips like hell from 1st to second and sometimes even from 2nd to third.... Thing is i no it isnt me because it doesnt happen all the time, it happens once every blue moon like out of every 10 races it happens once.... The clutch is good but i had to vote it is **** for the car i completely hate it... My friends see it, ive had friends drive with me, ive had friends drive it and these are people who have experiences with drag racing for multiple years....
X2. I've changed more clutches than you can shake a stick at.....I know what caused the failures, from abuse to the wrong application. I've driven manuals for quite some time now and I have to say the Cobalt has a release all of its own. It does the job most of the time but I won't replace it with a stock unit.....
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so i wonder ...how many people got there car new...and how many people actuly broke there car in befor beating on it
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 PM

my car was brand new and i didnt even beat on till i got stage 2 which was around 10,000 miles
Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
X2. I've changed more clutches than you can shake a stick at.....I know what caused the failures, from abuse to the wrong application. I've driven manuals for quite some time now and I have to say the Cobalt has a release all of its own. It does the job most of the time but I won't replace it with a stock unit.....
that I will agree with.
but the point of the poll isnt to say whether there are better clutches.
we can all agree on that i think

My point is, people need to realise that what they do with their feet is causing the great majority of clutch problems.
not the clutch itself.

In my opinion. theres alot of carpenters blaming their tools on this forum sometimes.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM

driver input...tis key.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM

Of course. Most people on with this car are younger and inexperienced with a clutch. Your guaranteed to get those kind of threads.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

i will say that this clutch is different than any i've driven before. took me a few weeks to get used to it, and when i first got the car i slipped it all the time. my gf used to think i was nuts when i got out of the car, sniffed the front grill and screamed "******* *****!" but once i got used to it, it never slips. in normal driving, traffic, hard driving, etc. it's fine. it's all in the feet.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM

so your telling me feathering your clutch going to 6 grand or sometimes to 5 grand in first and it wont let you put it in second because its still reving?? Its the clutch man, it doesnt do it all the time, but it will slip
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 PM

2.5 pullied for a long time now....36k miles on my car...stock clutch...BUT, HERE IS MY OPINION.

The clutch was meant for stock ratings and that's it. It's also a clutch that wasn't mant to be abused 24/7. Taking the car to the track a couple of times is fine, but it's not an every day warrior. My clutch still grabs fine...but i'm installing my spec stage 2 and fidanza flywheel next week because my clutch does show signs of wear, but hasn't really slipped on me.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I learned stick on this car as well
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 PM

our clutch works fine for me. for some reason, it slips easier when cold, then holds tighter after driving the car like 15-25 minutes. that is a very unique quality of a clutch -- clamping tighter when hot!

(makes me wonder if its the hydraulics that need to be "warmed up")

Last edited by HighPSI_LowCC_Speed; 11-09-2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

so your telling me feathering your clutch going to 6 grand or sometimes to 5 grand in first and it wont let you put it in second because its still reving?? Its the clutch man, it doesnt do it all the time, but it will slip

Simply looking at the way you talk about it, shows me that its your driving.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM

I mean the clutch is fine, and it does fine for driving daily... But anything that exceeds the stock power its not meant for... It holds sometimes and it might hold better for some people but i promise you the damn thing isnt meant for it and it isnt a good clutch for the power stage 2 or whatever kit you have to put it to the ground.... **** my clutch was slipping before i even got stage 2, this was when i had an intake and exhaust and i never realized what it was....

I wanted to see what my car could do against my buddies stage 2.... I took him off the line considering i have lsd took him by like 2-3 cars from the start went to go to second and BAM high rev till it calmed down idled back to normal and i could go back into gear... Thats how bad it has been for me... Also it locks me out of third sometimes i mean it is what it is... And if i would keep the car i would buy a new clutch
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM

It's definitely driver habits. This clutch is so finiky though I honestly can't blame people if they are having problems with it slipping. I have caught mine slipping a couple times before and it's always when I've been doing alot of in town driving and haven't had the chance to really drive the car hard.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by HighPSI_LowCC_Speed
our clutch works fine for me. for some reason, it slips easier when cold, then holds tighter after driving the car like 15-25 minutes. that is a very unique quality of a clutch -- clamping tighter when hot!

(makes me wonder if its the hydraulics that need to be "warmed up")
Mine is the oppisite....mine grabs crazy hard when it's cold and smooths out when it's warmed up.

But I do think it's a really good clutch....it just doesn't like to be slipped a lot...

My friends 07 cobalt ss/sc stock clutch slipped on him with 7000 miles on the odometer....I watched how he drives....he uses the clutch WAY too much under normal driving....I've told him about it but hes been driving stick forlike 7 years so whatever...

I've also watched other people drive their manuals...theyuse the clutch A LOT compared to me, and all their cars run fine....I really and truly think our clutch is better off when slipped the least.

I hardly ever slip the clutch above 1000 rpm on a takeoff under normal driving....But what I think has also saved my clutch a lot, I rev match for both up and downshifting. I NEVER, EVER EVER EVER, use the gas when shifting under normal driving, not even the slightest bit.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
it just doesn't like to be slipped a lot
exactly!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 PM

Drive the car right and the clutch is great.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Never had a problem with mine.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:44 PM

I mean the clutch is fine, and it does fine for driving daily... But anything that exceeds the stock power its not meant for... It holds sometimes and it might hold better for some people but i promise you the damn thing isnt meant for it and it isnt a good clutch for the power stage 2 or whatever kit you have to put it to the ground.... **** my clutch was slipping before i even got stage 2, this was when i had an intake and exhaust and i never realized what it was....

I wanted to see what my car could do against my buddies stage 2.... I took him off the line considering i have lsd took him by like 2-3 cars from the start went to go to second and BAM high rev till it calmed down idled back to normal and i could go back into gear... Thats how bad it has been for me... Also it locks me out of third sometimes i mean it is what it is... And if i would keep the car i would buy a new clutch
If your getting locked out check the shifter cables, just pop the shifter boot and tighten them down. Got my ss/sc from the dealership wit 8 miles on it and I went through a clutch/flywheel bc of that... dumbasses

Quick Reply: Our clutch verdict. Once and for all.